"MERTHYR MAWR, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Perpetual Curacy, not in charge, of the certified value of £13..6..8: Patron, The Archdeacon of Llandaff: Church dedicated to St. Teilo. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 138. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £80..11..0, at 3s. 7d. in the pound. It is 7 m. S.W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains from eight hundred to one thousand acres of Land: one hundred of which are Sand banks, that cannot be cultivated. Here are the vestiges of an old Chapel, commonly called Cappel St. Roque. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Stipend, and Augumentation, was £42..16..4. It is a well-wooded, pleasant village, on the Western bank of the river Ogwr: and on the Eastern side are the remains of a strong Castle, which was erected by William de London, who possessed the Lordship of Aber Ogwr." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.