Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Aberfan in the Parish of Merthyr Tydfil
References to the village of Aberfan at
Aberfan on Alan George's site
Aberfan photographs on the FreeFoto site
You can see pictures of Aberfan which are provided by:
You can see the administrative areas
in which Aberfan has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Aberfan 1966 - part of the Coalfield Web Materials site
Aberfan War Memorial - on the Roll of Honour site
The Aberfan Disaster - on People's Collection Wales .......... and on Wikipedia
Aberfan - on BBC Wales 'On this Day'
"21 October 1966: Aberfan - a generation wiped out;It took just five minutes for the coal tip above Aberfan to slide down the mountain and engulf a farm, several houses and a school"
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Aberfan Disaster Inquiry, Chief Surveyor's papers 1950-1967
- Aberfan Photographs collection comprising of a volume of 99 photographs depicting engineering work on the remainder of the coal tips
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SO070001 (Lat/Lon: 51.691878, -3.346901), Aberfan which are provided by:
- Aberfan Disaster Fund, Aberfan, Glamorgan
- 1966-80: papers
[National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records]
- 1967-1973: disaster fund management committee and sub-committee minutes
[Glamorgan Record Office - Reference : Acc 1996/60]
- Public Inquiry into the Aberfan Tip Disaster
1966-69: proceedings, correspondents, tribunal proceedings etc
[National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records - Reference: Aberfan]