Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Cyfarthfa in the Parish of Merthyr Tydfil

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Cyfarthfa in the Parish of Merthyr Tydfil

Business and Commerce Records
Church Records
Description and Travel
History
Land and Property
Occupations
Schools
Social Life and Customs

Business and Commerce Records

  • Crawshay Brothers (Cyfarthfa) Limited, iron and steel manufacturers and colliery proprietors
    • 1786-1902: letter books, accounting records, premises papers
      [National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records - Reference: Cyfarthfa Papers]
    • 1862-1911: miscellaneous business and personal papers
      [National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records
    • 1791-1846: Cyfarthfa works ledgers (3)
      [Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff - Reference: D/D Cy 1-3]
    • 1805, 1862-1919: letter books, directors' attendance book, miscellaneous papers relating to works and mines
      [Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff - Reference: D/DG: Letter Books; Section B box 5; Section G box 3]
    • 1788-1797: letter book of Richard Crawshay
      [Gwent Record Office, County Hall, Cwmbran NP44 2XH - Reference: D2.162]

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

 

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1857-1916 1857-1928, 1944-1989 - 1857-1976 -

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cyfarthfa Ecclesiastical Parish records            " ........ including churchwardens accounts, 1898-1959; faculties, 1893-1928; church fabric inventory, 1948; plans, 1853-1928; kirkhouse memorial hall records, 1915-1965; church affairs, 1897-1940; parochial church council, 1920-1966; vestry amd civil records, 1843-1920"

Description and Travel

Cyfarthfa on Alan George's site

History

Crawshay Family of Cyfarthfa - on the People's Collection Wales site

Cyfarthfa Castle School War Memorial  - on the Roll of Honour site

Land and Property

  • Crawshay family of Cyfarthfa
    • 18th cent-19th cent: deeds, estate and business papers
      [National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records - Reference: Cyfartha Papers]
    • c1756-c1940: deeds, family and estate papers
      [Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff]

Occupations

Cyfarthfa Ironworks - on Wikiped"

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cyfarthfa Iron Works records      1791-1846              "Iron production at Cyfarthfa (Glamorgan) was started by Anthony Bacon (1718-86) in 1765. In 1786, the ironworks were leased to Richard Crawshay (1739-1810) and in 1794, he became the sole owner. By 1803, the Cyfarthfa works employed 1,500 people and was said to be the biggest in the world. When Richard Crawshay died in 1810, the works passed to his son William Crawshay (1764-1834), who was deeply immersed in his work as an Indian merchant and had no time for the Cyfarthfa works. He in turn appointed his son William II (1788-1867) to manage the concern. It was during this period that the works achieved its greatest production levels. ..................................................."
  • Cyfarthfa papers             [1706]-1878             
  • Crawshay, Robert Thompson         1827-1883                    ".................... Robert Thompson Crawshay was born in 1817 at Cyfarthfa and was the son of William Crawshay II and his second wife Elizabeth Thompson. He took a great interest in the works and on the death of his brother William he became acting manager of the works. On the death of his father in 1867 Richard Thompson Crawshay became the sole manager of the business. He extended and improved the works and the coal-mines.................................."

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cyfarthfa Castle Municipal Secondary school records                       " ....... comprising of letters and circulars, 1908-1909; board of education inspection report, 1913; specification and tender, 1910; plan of library, 1923; golden jubilee booklet, 1963"

Social Life and Customs

The People's Collection Wales site has material for this parish, use the onsite search box

 

Cyfartha in the Parish of Merthyr Tydfil [Last Updated : 3 April 2013 - Gareth Hicks]