|Glamorgan Contents Nearby Places|
"MICHAELSTON super AFAN, in the Cwmwd of Rhwng Nedd ac Afan, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Neath), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Perpetual Curacy, not in charge: Patron, Lord Vernon: Church dedicated to St. Michael. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 232. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £74..9..6. It is 5 m. S.S.E. from Neath. This Parish contains about 1500 acres of inclosed and cultivated Land, and about 1000 acres of Moutain. The Tythes are attached to the estate of The Right Honourable Lord Vernon. It is situate upon the river Afan. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Stipend, and Augmentation, was £60."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811
Description and Travel
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Michael's Church, Cwmafan
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Michael, is in the Benefice of Cwmavon (Michaelston-super-Avon), and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS781919.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1785-1890||1786-1930||1785-1862, 1868-1890||1827-1830, 1835-1843, 1845-1890||1696, 1723-1728, 1730-1819, 1821-1837|
Michaelston-super-Avon Ecclesiastical Parish records " .......... including registers of baptisms, 1785-1890; marriages, 1786-1930; burials, 1785-1890; banns, 1827-1849; services for St Michaels Church, 1911-1935; services for All Saints, Cwmavon, 1905-1948; parochial church council accounts, 1933-1972"
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
Places, villages, farms etc within Michaelston-super-Avon as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.
|1871||(Post Office Directory)|
|1841 - 2,531||1851 - 6,074||1861 - 6,184||1871 - 5,920||1881 - 5,493||1891 - 6,109|
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996