Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted
Page 1 of 4

Help and advice for Chapels - Neath

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it. We have a number of people each maintaining different sections of the web site, so it is important to submit information via a link on the relevant page otherwise it is likely to go to the wrong person and may not be acted upon.

Chapels - Neath

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Neath database compiled by Gareth Hicks - with contributions from;

  • Joan Sims
  • Rob Weeks

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Additional Sources

Baptist

Ebenezer English Baptist chapel, Herbert Rd, Melincrythan

  • Ebenezer English Baptist chapel, Herbert Rd, Llantwit Lower SS74569626 Built in 1838, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1882 (1)
  • Index entry for Church, English Baptist, Melincryddan on Old Neath in Pictures
  • Baptist, Herbert Rd, Melyncrythan 450 sittings Rev Thomas William George 1910 (7)
  • Baptist, Herbert Rd, Melyncrythan 450 sittings Rev Thomas William George 1895 (8)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Records relating to Ebenezer English Baptist Church, Herbert Road, Melincryddan, including Sunday School Superintendent's register for Ebenezer chapel, recording names and attendance of teachers and pupils, and prizes awarded, 1900-1902

Babell Particular Baptist, James St

  • 1840, July 25; Particular Baptist; a room called the Babell situated in James Street; Titus Jones of the town of Neath (12)

Bethany/Bethania Welsh Baptist, London Rd

  • Index entry for Group, Bethania Vestry, Neath (6)
  • Another Index entry for Group, Bethania chapel, Neath (6)
  • Bethany/Bethania Welsh Baptist chapel, London Rd 500 (800?) sittings Rev D W Hopkins 1910 (7)
  • Bethany Welsh Baptist chapel, London Rd 500 sittings Rev W D Hopkins 1895 (8)
  • Bethania Baptist chapel, London Rd SS753973 Built in 1805, rebuilt and modified in 1829, 1863, 1888 and in 1911. Still in use in 1999 (9)
  • Bethany Welsh Baptist chapel (Bethania), London Rd SS75349747 Built in 1789, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1805 and in 1862, still in use in 1998 (9) (are Bethany and Bethania the same place ?)
  • 1810, October 24; Baptist; a meeting-house called Bethany; John George, Minister, John David, Thomas Daniel, David Thomas, Richard Daniel, part for the whole (12)
  • Bethany Baptist Erected in 1805 Rees Evans, Minister 1851 (14)

There are some baptismal records for this chapel on this Cadoxton-juxta-Neath historical database site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Bethania Baptist Church, London Road, Neath "........ marriage registers, 1955-1969"

Baptist chapel, Welsh, Green St

  • Baptist chapel, Welsh, Green St 1858/9 (5)

English Baptist, Orchard Place

  • English Baptist, Orchard Place 850 sittings 1910 (7)
  • English Baptist, Orchard St 850 sittings Rev Ernest Rowe Evans 1895 (8)
  • Orchard Place, Orchard Place SS7597 Built in 1839, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1872 and in 1903, most probably called Orchard Road not Place (9)

Tabernacle Particular Baptist chapel, English, Water St

  • Baptist chapel, English, Water St 1858/9 (5)
  • 1841, May 12; Particular Baptist; a house called Tabernacle situated in Water Street; Titus Jones of the town of Neath (12)
  • Tabernacle Particular Baptist, Water St Erected in 1841 Titus Jones, Minister 1851 (14)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Particular Baptist Church, Neath, was conveyed to former chapel trustees in 1833. It was put up for sale by a resolution of the church meeting in 1865. Baptist churches are usually self-governing within a Baptist Union"

Christ Church English Baptist church, Windsor Rd

  • Christ Church English Baptist church, Windsor Rd 600 sittings 1910 (7)
  • English Baptist, Windsor Rd 150 sittings Rev Wm Davies 1895 (8)

Congregational

Siloh Welsh, Melyncrythan

  • Siloh Welsh, Melyncrythan 684 sittings Rev Rowland Owen Evans 1910 (7)
  • Siloh Welsh, Melyncrythan 640 sittings Rev Rowland Owen Evans 1895 (8)
  • Siloh Welsh Independent chapel, Melincrythan SS74929638 Built in 1880 (9)
  • Hen Siloh Independent chapel, (Sunday School Siloh), Danygraig Rd SS74039651 (in Melincrythan) (9) (is this the same place?)
  • Index entry for 'Melin Gryddan - chapels' (10)
  • There is a book by Jennie Davies: Trem i'r gorfennol [sic]. A glimpse into the past: Siloh, Melincryddan, 1880-1982, (Neath 1982), 40pp. [Y testun yn Saesneg]. (4)
  • Siloh Chapel, Melincryddan: deeds, 1879-1946; history, 1982 Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Records of Siloh Welsh Independent Chapel, Melincryddan, [late 20th century], comprising xerox copies, [late 20th century], of deeds relating to the trustees of the chapel (1879-1946); booklet on the chapel's history, 1982."
    "Siloh Fach in Melincryddan, Neath, Glamorgan, opened in 1858 as a Sunday School and a daughter church to Zoar Chapel, Neath. With the influx of industrial workers to the area the chapel soon became too small and the present Siloh Chapel was opened in 1880. It was built on land given to the Welsh Congregationalists by the Earl of Jersey in 1878. Bethesda Independent Chapel, Briton Ferry, was a daughter church of Siloh"

Gnoll Road United Reformed (English)

  • Gnoll Road United Reformed (English), Neath Opened in 1846 Still open in 1992 (1)
  • There is a book; Gnoll Road Congregational church, Neath: jubilee 1886-1936, (Neath, 1936), [24]pp. (4)
  • English Independent, Knoll Rd 600 sittings Rev Edward Morgan 1895 (8)
  • Gnoll Rd (Wind St), Victoria Gardens, Gnoll Rd SS7597 Built in 1849, modified, altered or rebuilt c.1871, 1886, and in 1899 (9)
  • Church/Chapel, Victoria Gardens/London Rd SS75369732 (9) (same place?]
  • English Ind or Cong Built in 1849 E S Hart MAS, Minister 1851 (14)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Gnoll Road Congregational Church, Neath appears to have been a successor to the English Congregational Church, Wind Street, Neath, established in 1849. The Gnoll Road chapel was built in the 1890s.
    "Gnoll Road Congregational Church, Neath: deacons' minutes, 1893-1904"

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (May 2009)

See also under Wind St below

English Congregational, Maria St

  • English Congregational, Maria St 650 sittings 1910 (7)
  • English Congregational, Maria St 400 sittings 1895 (8)
  • Maria St English Independent chapel SS75099700 Built in 1881, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1890 (9)

Marshfield Rd Independent chapel (Sunday school), Neath

  • Marshfield Rd Independent chapel(Sunday school) SS74939673 Built in 1895 (9)

Independent Chapel (Welsh), Neath Bridge

  • Independent Chapel (Welsh), Neath Bridge - Rev. John Matthews 1858/9 (5)

Soar Mission Hall (Independent), Penydre

  • Soar Mission Hall, Penydre 200 sittings 1910 (7)
  • Zoar Mission Hall, Penydre 200 sittings 1895 (8)
  • Penydre Mission, Neath SS7597 Built in 1883 (9)
  • Index entry for Chapel, Zoar Penydre Interior, Neath & Chapel, Zoar Penydre, Neath (6)

Independent Chapel (Welsh), Summerfield

  • Independent Chapel (Welsh), Summerfield Rev. Daniel Evans 1858/9 (5)

English Congregational, Victoria Gardens

  • English Congregational, Victoria Gardens 800 sittings Rev Edward Morgan 1910 (7)
  • English Congregational (United Reformed), Victoria Gardens SS75439728 Built in 1885, disused pre 1997 (9)
Independent Chapel (English), Wind street
  • Independent Chapels (English), Wind street 1858/9 (5)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "The English Congregational Church, Wind Street was established in 1849, although the congregation had been meeting elsewhere since at least 1846. The chapel was apparently demolished by the 1890s, replaced by a new building in Gnoll Street."
    "Church record book, 1846-1884, containing record of baptisms, 1859-1879, marriages, 1876-1879, burials, 1877, lists of members, 1846-1884, accounts, 1859-1872, and minutes of important occurrences."
  • Book;
    Rees, T. M. 'The first English Congregational church, Neath : Wind Street (1846-86), Gnoll Road (1886- )'. Transactions of the Congregational Historical Society, 15:4 (1948)

See also under Gnoll Rd above

Maes-yr-haf (Summerfield) Welsh Independent, Windsor Rd/Queen St

  • Maes-yr-haf Welsh Independent, Neath Opened in 1771 Still open in 1992 (1)
  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc (3)
  • Extracts from the Maes-y-haf Independent chapel, Neath - Register of Members 1824-88 On the People's Collection Wales site
  • Index entry Maes-yr-haf (2)
  • Maes-yr-haf Welsh Congregational, Windsor Rd Erected in 1769, rebuilt in 1864. 780 sittings Rev Thomas George 1910 (7)
  • Maes-yr-haf Welsh Independent, Queen St 780 sittings Rev Jonah Roberts 1895 (8)
  • Soar Maesyrhaf Congregational chapel, Maes-yr-haf Rd SS75129752 Built in 1646, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1769, 1828, 1864 and c.1882, still in use in 1998 (9)
  • Soar-Maesyrhaf Ind chapel, Neath - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Index entry for 'Maesyrhaf ch.' (10)
  • Summerfield Ind, Green St Erected in c 1772 Peter Davies, Secretary of the Sunday School, New Market St 1851 (14)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Eleri Rowlands (May 2008)
  • Listed on Villages of the Neath Valley and their Burial Grounds (11)
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
  • There is a book by Nantlais Jones, Eiry Shopland: Hanes eglwysi Annibynnol Chwarela Bach, Maesyrhaf a Zoar, 1695-1995. The history of the Independent churches of Chwarela Bach, Maesyrhaf and Zoar, 1695-1995, (Castell-nedd, 1995), 45, 47tt. [Testun dwyieithog]. (4)
  • Maesyrhaf Chapel, Neath (to 1965): registers of members and contributions, 1824-1965; minutes, 1918-1965; accounts, 1844-1965; Sunday School records, 1915-1953; photograph, circa 1900 (D/D Ind); history, 1923 (D/D Z 81). Zoar Chapel, Neath (to 1965): register of contributions, 1932-1964; minutes, 1927-1964; accounts, 1953-1969; chapel reports, 1916-1965; chapel history, 1963. Zoar-Maesyrhaf Chapel, Neath (from 1965): registers of contributions, 1965-1977; minutes, 1965-1977; annual reports, 1966-1975; chapel history, 1995; Sunday School records, 1959-1977 Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Soar/Zoar Welsh Independent, Zoar Rd

  • Soar Welsh Independent, Zoar Rd 747 sittings Rev James Edwards 1910 (7)
  • Zoar Welsh Independent, Zoar Rd 650 sittings Rev James Edwards 1895 (8)
  • Zoar Welsh Independent chapel, Neath SS75109765 Built in 1828, demolished pre 1998 (9)
  • Index entry for Chapel, Zoar, Neath (6)
  • 1830, April 4; Independent; a building called Zoar; Daniel Griffith of Neath, Minister of the Gospel (12)
  • Zoar Ind Erected in 1828/9 "Several Sunday schools attached to Zoar chapel in different localities where Members reside." John Mathews, Minister, Eastgate Terrace, Neath 1851 (14)
  • There is a book by James Edwards: Hanes eglwys Annibynol Zoar, Castellnedd, (Castellnedd, 1923), 19tt (4)
  • There is a book by Nantlais Jones, Eiry Shopland: Hanes eglwysi Annibynnol Chwarela Bach, Maesyrhaf a Zoar, 1695-1995. The history of the Independent churches of Chwarela Bach, Maesyrhaf and Zoar, 1695-1995, (Castell-nedd, 1995), 45, 47tt. [Testun dwyieithog]. (4)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh) copied from the Cd published by Archive CD Books - with translation
  • I understand that when this Zoar closed the members went to Maesyrhaf and the latter became known as Zoar, Maesyrhaf.

Independent, various

Water St

  • 1799, March 26; Independent; (i) a house in the occupation of John Anthony in Water Street, (ii) a house in the occupation of Edmund Lewis in Water Street; W. Davies, Evan Hopkin, Thomas Bowen (12)

Western-Moor House

  • 1799, November 25; Independent; a dwelling-house called Western-Moor House occupied by James Reynold; Thomas Bowen, W. Davies, Evan Hopkin (12)

Zoar, Lat St

  • 1826, August 9; Independent; a store-house called Zoar situated in Lat Street; Benjamin Daniel of Brin Coch in the parish of Cadoxton-iuxta-Neath (12)

Methodist

Neath English Wesleyan Methodist Circuit

  • Neath Circuit: minutes, 1897-1968; quarterly meeting minutes, 1895-1986; trustees' minutes, 1866-1960; preachers' minutes, 1862-1902; record book, 1963-1981; circuit schedules, 1866-1965; accounts, 1862-1917; membership roll, 1931-1941; Sunday School records, 1869-1909; Home and Foreign Mission accounts, 1930-1953
    Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
Bethlehem Green, Calvinistic Methodist
  • Index entry for Bethlehem Green, Neath - [chapel] (2)
  • Index entry for Chapel, Bethlehem Green, Neath (6)
  • Index entry for Group, Bethlehem Green Chapel, Neath (6)
  • James St Welsh Calvinistic ( Bethlehem Green) SS75249777 Built in 1810, rebuilt in 1828 and in 1880 (9)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, James St 500 sittings Rev B T Jones 1910 (7)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, James St 500 sittings Rev John Griffin Hughes 1895 (8)
  • Index entry Bethlehem Green, Neath (10)
  • Bethlehem Green CM Erected in 1810 David Davies, Joiner, Chapel House, Neath 1851 (14)
  • Marriage certificate details; 3rd August 1889. Bethlehem Green Chapel, Neath in the Counties of Glamorgan and Brecon. "Bethlehem Green Chapel according to the rites and ceremonies of the Calvinistic Methodists Certificate by me Ebenezer Jones Minister. David Humphrey Jones Registrar" (13)

Bethel CM, Briton Ferry Rd

  • Bethel CM, Briton Ferry Rd 700 sittings Rev J Nathanial Jones 1910 (7)
  • Bethel CM, Briton Ferry Rd 700 sittings 1895 (8)
  • Index entry for Bethel, Melincrythan (2)
  • Bethel CM chapel, Neath SS7597 Built in 1865 (9)
  • The Rev J Nathanial Jones ministered here from 1903 to 1914 (13 Rob Weeks)

United Methodist, Briton Ferry Rd

  • United Methodist, Briton Ferry Rd 350 sittings Rev William Henry Alford supt, and Rev E L Squire 1910 (7)

Methodist (Calvinistic Welsh), Castle St

  • Methodist (Calvinistic Welsh) Chapel, Castle St 1858/9 (5)

Mission Hall, Neath

  • Mission Hall, Neath SS7597 (9)
  • Mission Hall Neath English CM chapel High Street, Castell Nedd, Castell Nedd ac Aberafan SA11 3NB - still open in 2006

Methodist (Calvinistic Welsh), Latt St

  • Methodist (Calvinistic Welsh) Chapel, Latt St 1858/9 (5)

English Wesleyan Methodist, London Rd

  • Index entry for Chapel, Wesleyan, Neath (6)
  • Wesleyan Methodist (English), London Rd 550 sittings. Also at Mission Hall, The Green 150 sittings Rev J Wesley Davies supt 1910 (7)
  • Wesleyan Methodist (English), London Rd 550 sittings Also at Mission Hall, The Green 150 sittings Rev Alfred Farrar 1895 (8)
  • English, London Rd SS7597 Built in 1869 (9) (is it this chapel ?)
  • London Road English Wesleyan, Neath: marriage registers, 1909-1971; members' register, 1912-1924; minutes, 1898-1983; collection journals, 1894-1921; accounts, 1847-1980; Sunday School records, 1925-1977
    Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Water St Wesleyan Methodist, Castle St

  • Water St WM, Castle St SS75359775 Built in c.1813 Not in use in 1999 (9)
  • English Wesleyan Methoist (sic) Erected in 1814 Wm Williams, Minister 1851 (14)

Twyn-y-Capel

  • Index entry (2)

Presbyterian, London Rd

  • Presbyterian, London Rd 500 sittings Rev Evan Hugh Jones 1910 (7)
  • London Rd English Presbyterian church, Greenway Rd SS75349721 Built in 1880, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1903, still in use in 1987 (9)
  • Index entry for Chapel, Presbyterian, Neath (6)
  • London Road Neath English CM chapel London Road, Castell Nedd, SA11 1HL - still open in 2006

Presbyterians of Wales, Windsor Rd

  • Presbyterians of Wales, Windsor Rd 150 sittings Rev L Pugh Lewis 1895 (8)
  • Windsor Sq United Free Methodist chapel, Windsor Square SS75219686 (9) (is it this chapel ? )

Windsor Sq English Wesleyan

  • Windsor Square, Neath: minutes, 1909-1971; accounts, 1889-1974; correspondence, 1912-1924; Sunday School records, n.d. Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
Presbyterian, various

Wind St

  • 1799, March 11 ; Presbyterian; a house in the possession of Rees Rees situated in Wind Street in the town of Neath, and another house in the possession of Phillip Lawrence situated in the parish of Cadoxton-iuxta-Neath; William David, Edward Thomas, David Howell, John David, David Thomas, the said Rees Rees and Phillip Lawrence (12)

Un-named

  • Undated (endorsed: 1800, June 2); Presbyterian; a house in the possession of Lewis Herbert; the said Lewis Herbert, Rees Rees, John Davies (12)

Other (including un-identified)

St Joseph's Catholic Church, Castle St

  • St Joseph's Catholic Church, Castle St 200 sittings Rev Father John Thomas Hyland 1895 (8)
  • St Joseph's Catholic Church, Castle St Formerly a Wesleyan chapel 200 sittings Rev Ernest Blackborow 1910 (7)

Quaker, James St

  • Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc (3)
  • Friends' Meeting House, Latt 1858/9 (5)
  • Society of Friends meeting place in James St occupies part of the site of old castle, has 150 sittings, with burial ground adjacent 1910 (7)
  • Friends' Meeting House, James St 1895 (8)
  • Friends' Meeting House, The Latt SS75369782 Built in c.1792 Still in use in 1997 (9)
  • Index entry 'Friends, Society of' and 'Quakers' (10)
  • Quaker Registered ..... c 1801 (?Thom) Rees 1851 (14)
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
Latter-Day Saints Meeting House, Wind St
  • 1850, March 12; Latter-Day Saints; a house called Latter-Day Saints' Meeting-House in Wind Street; William Harries of that parish (12)
  • Latterday Saints Name -'Nonne' Not a separate building William Harris, Elder 1851 (14)

Carmel chapel, Neath

  • Index entry for Chapel, Carmel, Neath (6)

Sunday School, Cimla

  • Sunday School, Cimla SS76129617 Denomination not given (9)
  • Cimla, Cimla chapel, Neath SS7596 Denomination not given (9)
  • Index entry for Chapel, Sunday School, Cimla (6)

Christadelphian Meeting Room, London Rd/Alfred St

  • Christadelphian Meeting Room, London Rd 70 sittings 1910 (7)
  • Christadelphian Meeting Room, Alfred St 100 sittings 1895 (8)

Elim Pentecostal, Briton Ferry Rd/ Crydden Rd

  • Elim Pentecostal, Briton Ferry Rd/ Crydden Rd SS75069673 (9)

Elim, Darren Rd

  • Elim, Darren Rd SS74429513 Denomination not given (9)

Free Mission, High St

  • Free Mission, High St 500 sittings 1910 (7)
  • Free Mission, High St 500 sittings 1895 (8)

Green Mission chapel, Neath

  • Index entry for Green Mission chapel, Neath (6)
  • Index entry for Group, Green Mission, Neath (6)
  • Green Mission, Neath SS7597 Built in 1675, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1769, 1866, 1886 and in 1909, still in use in 2002 (9)

Hope Bible Christian, Briton Ferry Rd

  • Hope Bible Christian, Briton Ferry Rd 350 sittings 1895 (8)
  • Hope, Neath SS7597 Built in 1859, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1870 (9) (is it this chapel?)

Masonic Temple (Hall), Queen St

  • Masonic Temple (Hall), Queen St SS75329744 Built in 1848 (9)

Melincryddan, Llanilltud Nedd

  • Melincryddan, Llanilltud Nedd SS7697 No denomination given Built in 1879 (9)

Mortuary chapel

  • Mortuary chapel SS76419798 (9)

Protestant dissenters

  • 1799, February 15; Protestant; a building situated at the lower end of a street called Hewl y Green; W. Davies, Thomas Bowen, Minister, Evan Hopkin (12)
  • 1799, February 15; Protestant; the dwelling-house of Watkin Watkin called Ton y gregos; W. Davies, Evan Hopkin, the said Watkin Watkin (12)

Unitarian Chapel, Green Street

  • Unitarian Chapel, Green Street 1858/9 (5)
  • Index entry 'Unitarians' (10)
  • Unitarian chapel, Green St Erected in c 1817 "This chapel had been closed for eight years previous to August 1850..." Rupert Lant Carpenter, BA 1851 (14)

    [Last Updated : 2 Jan 2012 - Gareth Hicks]