"NEWCASTLE, in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage, with the Curacies of Lalyston and Tythegston, valued in the King's Books at £7..7..3 1/2: Patron, The King: Church dedicated to St. Illtyd. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Higher and Lower Hamlets) was 611.The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £249..18..7 1/4. It is adjacent to Bridgend, on the West. This Parish contains about 900 acres of Land; of which, about 80 acres are uninclosed. It appears to derive its name, in opposition to Old Castle in the Lower Hamlet of the Parish of Coyty, and from which it is divided by the River Ogwr. "
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
The church is dedicated to St. Illtyd, and is in the Benefice of Newcastle. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS903801.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff