"BRIDGEND, otherwise PENYBONT AR OGWR, a market town, partly in the parish of COYTY, and partly in that of NEWCASTLE, hundred of NEWCASTLE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 20 miles (W. by N.) from Cardiff, and 179 (W.) from London......" A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis
Sheppard and Sons Ltd., engineers, Bridgend, records 1856-1965 "The Heavy Precision and General Engineers, Sheppard and Sons Ltd, of Bridgend, Glamorgan, which for many years specialized in colliery machinery, was originally started in a building adjoining the portion of Bridgend station that served the Llynfi and Ogmore railway, in 1865. Expansion of the business led to the erection of new works, in the northern part of Bridgend..............................."
Obituary of Thomas Stockwood of Bridgend from the Glamorgan Gazette 27th Dec 1895, includes general commentary on Bridgend society. Also a separate article regarding the Stockwood family's association with the Glamorgan Gazette
You can see the administrative areas in which Bridgend has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Bridgend and Cowbridge District Highway Board records 1855-1898
Bridgend Civil Parish records 1910-1921
Bridgend County Court records 1878-1969 G
Bridgend General Hospital records 1947-1959
Bridgend Local Board of Health records 1848-1894
Bridgend Urban District Council records 1894-1974
Bridgend Urban District Council/ Penybont Rural District Council, Chief Medical Officer of Health records " ......... includes: notification of infectious diseases, 1931-1935. Bridgend Urban District: health visitors weekly report cards, 1929-1931; birth enquiry cards, 1924-1927; report cards on individual children under 5, 1927-1929; infant deaths, 1931-1932; still births, 1932. Penybont Rural District: health visitors weekly report cards, 1926-1930; birth enquiry cards, 1921-1926; report cards on individual children under 5, 1925-1927; report cards on expectant mothers, 1926-1927; ante natal cards, 1926; cases of opthalmia neonatorum, 1927; cases of TB, 1923; milk cards, 1928-1929"
Bridgend Girls Grammar school records " .... comprising log book, 1948-1960; photograph album, 1904-1915"
"In 1896, under the provision of the Welsh Intermediate Education Act 1889 a secondary school, then called an Intermediate school was erected at Bridgend . Originally, the school was for both boys and girls until 1934, when the boys section was moved to new buildings on the site of an old house called Brynteg. The girls school, which had been reestablished as Bridgend Girls Grammar on its separation from the boys school, continued to occupy the original site"
Bridgend Intermediate Boys and Girls School records " .............. comprising of minute books, 1896-1925; letterbooks, 1891-1926; treasurers receipt and payment book, 1930-1933"
Bridgend School Board records " ............ comprising of minute books, 1874-1903; cash book, 1899-1903"