"NEWTON NOTTAGE, in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory valued in the King's Books at £17..4..7: Patronage, in the Three Manors, each Manor presenting in its turn; two of which being holden by Colonel Knight, he has the two next Presentations; the present Incumbent, The Rev. Mr. Jenkins, having been presented by Calvert Jones, Esq., who holds the third Manor: Church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 209. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £17 l..12..8 1/2, at 10s. 6d. in the pound. It is 12 m. W. b. N. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains about 1000 acres of inclosed and cultivated Land, and about 1000 acres uninclosed and uncultivated. It is situate upon the Bristol Channel: and is a commodious and agreeable Bathing-place, with a fine Shore. Here is a curious Well, which ebbs and flows in opposition to the Sea; that is, when it is high water at Sea, the water subsides in the Well, and when it is low Water at Sea, the water rises in the WeIl. It is thought that the Name should be written Newton Nunnage, as it is not improbable but there was a Nunnery here." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.