"Porth-cawl is in the parish of Newton-Nottage, county of Glamorgan, about six miles from Bridgend; seated upon the margin of the Bristol Channel. Within the last few years it has assumed the consequence of a port, from its contiguity to the extensivwe coal and Iron mines, which abound in this quarter, and large quantities of their produce are here annually shipped. An excellent harbour, constructed by a company, affords accommodation for vessels of considerable burthen. The bay which is very beautiful, is admirably adapted to sea bathing, and at no distant period may, probably, become a place of resort for that purpose. Newton Nottage parish contained in 1841, 792 inhabitants, and in 1851, 928." [Slaters Commercial Directory, 1858-1859]
The church is dedicated to All Saints, and is in the Benefice of Newton Nottage. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS816770.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Convalescent home, Porthcawl records 1862-1974 "The Rest was established as a seaside convalescent hospital for the working classes, particularly miners, in 1862, in Porthcawl, Glamorgan, at the initiative of Dr James Lewis, of Maesteg, Glamorgan. Lewis was supported by Florence Nightingale, the reformer of hospital nursing. The institution was maintained and supported by private contributors which included prominent landownwers, industialists, the trade union movement, friendly societies and a host of private individuals; it was rebuilt in the 1870s-1880s. It remains active as Rest Bay Convalescent Home."
Porthcawl Local Board of Health 1893-95 " ...... created in 1893, out of the Bridgend and Cowbridge Rural Sanitary District. It covered the parish of Newton Nottage, including the town of Porthcawl and the villages of Nottage and Newton. ..............."
Porthcawl Urban District Council records 1895-1974