|Porthcawl Newton Nottage Newton Nottage Cefn Cribwr Contents|
PORTH CAWL is a harbour and village on the margin of the Bristol Channel, in the parish of Newton-Nottage, hundred of Newcastle and county of Glamorgan, about 7 miles from Bridgend, its post town, in the Bridgend and Cowbridge union and county court district. Here are shipped immense quantities of coal, iron and coke, the produce of the mineral districts of the neighbourhood. Some years ago the harbour underwent important changes, a company having been formed at that time consisting of the principal coal and iron proprietors and manufacturers of the neighbourhood, who purchased it and the lands adjoining and constructed an extensive floating dock with half tide basin, breakwater, &c. These works have been subsequently leased by the Great Westerm Railway Company. The water area of the dock is 7.5 acres, with gates 55ft. wide, the half-tide basin 1. 5 acres, with gates 65 ft. wide; average depth of water on the sill 18ft. at high water neap tides, and 28 feet at high-water spring tides. To protect the entrance in rough weather two extensive break waters have been constructed, the one on the west side extends a considerable distance into the channel, and supports a neat light house built at the end of it. This proves an excellent beacon for vessels making the harbour either by night or day. Several powerful engines have been erected, which are capable of shipping upwards of 6,000 tons of coal per day. Since the railways of South Wales were altered from broad to narrow gauge great additions have been made to the number of collieries in direct communication with Porth Cawl. The port is also in direct communication with brick, tin plate, iron and other works of the neighbourhood and district. The collieries, &c. are also in direct communication with Newport, Cardiff, Port Talbot, Briton Ferry and Swansea, but Porth Cawl being the nearest is the natural outlet for the minerals, and at other ports additional railway charges are incurred; at Porth Cawl very great facilities are afforded for the despatch of steamers and sailing vessels, and shipowners would find the charges very moderate; vessels up to 1,500 tons can enter and leave in safety, the depth of water being seldom under 18 feet.
The bay, which is beautiful, is admirably adapted for sea bathing, and is much resorted to during the summer months for that purpose; it would no doubt become still more popular but that the accomodation provided for visitors is not of that character which should distinguish a favourable watering place. The National Lifeboat Institution have a boat stationed here.
The rest is situated on the sea coast about two miles from Porth Cawl and one from the village of Nottage. It is a home or convalescent hospital intended for the those of the industrial and working classes of the district for whom change and sea airare more needful than medicine. At present only one block is built, for the reception of male patients, but when funds are obtainable it is intended to erect another residence for females also. The building which is commodious and picturesque, was erected in 1877 by public subscription, under the auspices of a committee of whom Colonel Picton Turberville of Ewenny Priory is the chairman, Mr. T. G. Smith, National Provincial Bank, Bridgend, the treasurer, and Mr. H. S. Ludlow of Neath is secretary; Mr. George Pennington at the institution is superintendent, and the establishment is at present maintained partly by subscription and partly by the payments of the inmates.
NEWTON NOTTAGE is a parish, and contains, besides the harbour before mentioned, the villages of Newton and Nottage. It is about six miles from Bridgend, its post town. Population of the parish in 1861, 1,082, and in 1871, 1, 455.
NEWTON is a neat village on the eastern side of the parish, about a miles from Nottage, and rather more from Porth Cawl, it contains the parish church of St. John the Baptist, which is considered one of the oldest in the Principality. Attached to the wall on the north side of the nave, is a very remarkable stone pulpit, on which three figures are carved representing the flagellation of our Saviour. The living is a rectory. There is a National school in connection with the church. There is also a chapel for Independents. A short distance from the church, and about a quarter of a mile from the sea, is St. John's well, remarkable from the fact that the water ebbs and flows in the direct opposition to the tides, to the height of severalfeet, which supplies the villagers with excellent spring water.
NOTTAGE is a pleasant village about 1.25 miles N.W. from Porth Cawl. It contains nothing remarkable, unless it be a mansion house, in which it is said Anne Boleyn, wife of Henry VIII. resided previous to her marriage with that monarch. There is a chapel for Unitarians, and a school for infants here.
POST OFFICE - Porth Cawl, George H. Saunders,
Sub-Post Master. - Letters from all parts arrive (from
Bridgend) at seven morning and one afternoon, and are
despatched thereto at fifteen minutes past three afternoon
and forty-five minutes past five evening.
POST BOXES at Newton and Nottage cleared at
hlaf-past five evening, except Sunday.
Porth Cawl - William J. Griffin, masterInfants' School, Nottage - The Misses Knight, teachers
Newton - Eliza A. Davies, mistress
Church of St. John the Baptist, Newton - Rev. William Jones, rector
Independent - Porth Cawl - Rev. Jas. H. Walker
Independent, Newton - Rev. Isaac Jones
Baptist (Welsh), Porth Cawl - Ministers various
Methodist (English), Porth Cawl - Ministers various
Methodist (Welsh), Porth Cawl - Ministers various
Unitarian (Welsh), Nottage
Coast Guard Station, Docks
Custom House, Porth Cawl - George Rees, principal officer
Harbour Master's Office, Porth Cawl - Jas. Wessenduff, harbour master
Life Boat Station, Porth Cawl - John Jones, coxswain
Pilots, Porth Cawl - James Pearce, James Pearce, jun. William Lewis, Maurice Power and John Jones
Police Station, Porth Cawl - Thomas Protheroe, sergeant
Porth Cawl Gas & Coke Co. Limited - John Rogers, manager; George Pennington, secretary
Station, Porth Cawl, Charles Dalby, station master
Slaters Commercial Directory, Porthcawl, Glamorgan, 1880
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996