Extracted by Bernard Mainwaring from an article by The Rev. Dan Bryant M.A. D.C.L. printed in Historical Sketches of Glamorgan. Published by The Glamorgan Society in 1912 and submitted to the Glamorgan mailing list
In 1093 A.D. a Lord Fitz-hamon, became the first Norman Lord of Glamorgan.
His full titles were:-
Sir Robert Fitz-hamon, Earl of Corbeil, Baron Thorigny and Granville, Lord of Gloucester, Bristol, Tewkesbury and Cardiff. Conquerer of Wales, near kinsman of the King, and General of his Highness' army in France.
He was accompanied by twelve knights:-
William de Londres
Richard de Granville (his brother)
Paganus de Turberville
Robert St. Quentin
Richard de Syward
Gilbert de Humfreville
Roger de Berkrolls
Reginald de Sully
Peter Le Soor
John Le Fleminge
Oliver de St. John
William de Esteringe ( Later known as Stradlinge)
Fitz-hamon took as his personal share the towns of Cardiff, Cowbridge and Kenfig, the castles of Cardiff and Kenfig and as demesne lands, Miscin, Glyn-Rhondda, Tir-y-Iarll and Boverton or Llantwit.
De Londres had the Lordship of Ogmore with the sub-manor of Dunraven.
De Granville settled in Neath and founded Neath Abbey in 1129
De Turberville had Coyty. He married the daughter of Morgan, the Welsh Lord of Coyty.
St. Quentin settled at Llanbethian. The family had died out by 1249 A.D.
De Syward had the Lordship of Talavan, with the sub-manor of Merthyr-Mawr.
Humfraville settled in Penmark and built Penmark Castle.
St. John may have held Fonmon Manor under De Humfraville.
Note: At this time there were still Welsh Lords holding land in Glamorgan.
Return to top
[Last Updated : 27 Sept 2002 - Gareth Hicks]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996