Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Chapels - Oystermouth

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

Chapels - Oystermouth

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Oystermouth database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;

  • Jeff Coleman
  • Graham Williams

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Wales - Genealogy Help Pages )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

  • 1. Slaters Directory for 1880
  • 2. My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
  • 3. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - the Archive CD Books Cd
  • 4. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - the Archive CD Books Cd
  • 5. Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.
  • 6. Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff hold most extant parish church and non-conformist chapel records, these are listed on their site (click ' history of your family' on main page and scroll down to the end of the next page)
  • 7. The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 8. The Cambrian Index - The index data is obviously limited , there may be more available via the online contact address
  • 9. Personal research/knowledge (JC)
  • 10. Powell, Carol. Once upon a Village - aspects of life in the Mumbles 1901-1914. Swansea : Inalong Publishing, 1997
  • 11. Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. UWP, Cardiff, 1976

Books/Journals

  • Gregor, Gary. 'Gower's Nonconformist Chapels in 1851 and in 2001'. Gower, 55 (2004), 60-69. Publisher: Gower Society. ISSN 09620540.

Baptist

Baptist Church, Newton Rd, Oystermouth

  • Baptist Church, Newton Rd, Oystermouth SS61168815 (7)
  • Mumbles Baptist chapel, Newton Rd, Newton on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)

Bethany English Baptist chapel, West Cross

  • The Mumbles contains places of worship belonging to the Baptists Slaters Directory for 1880 (1)
  • English Baptist chapel, West Cross 250 sittings Rev Thomas Davies 1895 (3) and 1910 (4)
  • Bethany Baptist chapel, West Cross SS61338909 Built in 1850, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1855 (7)
  • Bethany Baptist, Norton Erected in 1850 John Evans, Deacon, Newton 1851 (11)
  • There is a book by Robert Barnes Bethany Baptist Church, West Cross, 1851-2001, 2001 - there are extracts on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • "The Baptist Church was still situated, solely at Bethany, until on 21 July 1907 the Glamorgan English Baptist Association [Swansea district] arranged a series of sunday services at the Kursaal [on the site of the present Tivoli] in order to find out whether a baptist church was needed in the Village".
    "They continued to meet in the Kursaal until 10 November 1907 when they moved to the Council School .... until a new church was built on nearby land known as "Pool Close.
    This was opened by Lord Glantawe on 16 June 1910." (10)
  • Bethany Baptist Church on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • 1850; BAPTIST CHAPEL, MUMBLES - TEA PARTY AT OYSTERMOUTH CASTLE (8)
  • 1865; BETHANY BAPTIST CHAPEL, MUMBLES: SERMON BY NEW PASTOR, REV. J.R.D. POOLEY, LATE OF CHIPPENHAM (8)
  • 1866; ORDINATION OF REV. R. WARNER, LATE OF BRISTOL COLLEGE, AT BETHANY BAPTIST CHAPEL,MUMBLES (8)
  • 1867; MUMBLES:OPENING SEVICES OF BETHANY BAPTIST CHAPEL. - AFTER ENLARGEMENTS (8)
  • 1870; BETHANY BAPTIST CHAPEL, MUMBLES, CONCERT: MESSRS. MORGAN, KINGDON, ORRIN (POST OFFCE, MUMBLES) (8)
  • 1872; REV J. ROBERTS FAREWELL SERVICE AT MUMBLES BAPTIST CHAPEL. PRESENT, MR. JOHN MORGAN, SENIOR DEACON PRESIDED... (8)

Congregationalist

Mount Sion Independent chapel, Duns, Oystermouth

  • Mount Sion Independent chapel, Duns, Oystermouth Erected in 1850 William Clement, Independent Methodist Minister, Mumbles 1851 (11) [either chapel designation or the minister's looks wrong, which ?]

Tabernacle English Independent/United Reformed chapel, Castleton / Mumbles

  • Independent, Mumbles Rev John C Davies Slaters Directory for 1880 (1)
  • Tabernacle United Reformed Church ( English), Mumbles Opened in 1831, still open in 1992 (2)
  • Congregational chapel, Castleton 550 sittings Rev John Carvan Davies and Rev Samuel Cundy Pinch 1895 (3)
  • Tabernacle Congregational chapel, Castleton Rev Samuel Cundy Pinch 1910 (4)
  • Tabernacle Independent chapel, Chapel St, Mumbles SS61388817 Built in 1831, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1871 (7)
  • Tabernacle Ind Erected in 1831 John Marks Evans, Minister, Mumbles 1851 (11)
  • There is a book by T. Bryn Richard: Centenary souvenir 1870-1970: the origin and history of Tabernacle Congregational church, Mumbles, Swansea, (Swansea, 1969), 40pp. (5)
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
  • In January 1905, in the Castleton Congregational Church, where meetings were held every night, over 100 people confessed christ as their saviour (10)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Deric John
  • Tabernacle United Reformed Church on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • Cambrian H82 BUILDINGS, RELIGION, CHAPELS 11 September 1830; FOUNDATION STONE OF NEW INDEPENDENT CHAPEL LAID AT THE MUMBLES. (8 & 9)
  • Cambrian H82 BUILDINGS, RELIGION, CHAPELS 11 June 1831; ............... NEW CHAPEL OPENED AT MUMBLES (8 & 9)
  • 1870; PRESENTATION TO REV. J.C.DAVIES, OF TABERNACLE, MUMBLES, BY HIS TABERNACLE & NEWTON MUSIC CLASSES (8)
  • 1870; NEW CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, MUMBLES, TO BE ERECTED BEHIND ISAAC REES'S MARINE VILLA (8)
  • 1870; FOUNDATION STONE OF NEW CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, MUMBLES, LAID 4 MAY 1870 (8)
  • 1871; NEW CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, MUMBLES: ARCHITECT - JOHN HUMPHREY, MORRISTON; BUILDER - JOHN ROSSER, OYSTERMOUTH (8)
  • 1871; CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH,MUMBLES: OLD SCHOOLROOM BUILT 1831 BY REV. HAMMERTON - LATER MINISTERS - SEAVEIL, STEADMAN & EVANS (8)
  • 1871; NEW CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, MUMBLES: REV.DAVIES, PASTOR,GIVES HISTORY OF CONGREGATIONALISM IN MUMBLES & NEWTON SINCE 1831 (8)
  • 1874; MR. POWELL THOMAS OF LONDON SINGS AT MUMBLES CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. CHAIRMAN J.J. JENKINS ESQ (8)
  • 1888; CONGREGATIONALISM AT MUMBLES: TEA MEETING AT CASTLETON (8)

Paraclete English Congregational chapel, Newton Rd, Newton

  • Independent, Newton Rev John C Davies Slaters Directory for 1880 (1)
  • Paraclete (Congregational Federation) (English), Newton Opened in 1818, closed pre 1992 (2)
  • Congregational chapel, Newton 200 sittings Rev John Carvan Davies and Rev Samuel Cundy Pinch 1895 (3)
  • Congregational chapel, Newton 450 sittings Rev David Rees 1910 (4)
  • Records at Glamorgan Record Office (6)
  • Paraclete Congregational church, Newton Rd, Newton SS60408814 Built in 1818, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1878 and 1900, still in use in 2002 (7)
  • Paraclete Ind Erected in 1818 John Marks Evans, Ind Minister, Newton 1851 (11)
  • There is an article by Elizabeth Evans The Origins of Paraclete chapel, Newton on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • Paraclete Congregational Church on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • Paraclete, Newton, Mumbles, Swansea is shown on the list of current chapels on the Congregational Federation site as being opened in 1818 (JC 9)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Deric John
  • 1869; PARACLETE CHAPEL, MUMBLES, CHORAL EXAMINATION - CHOIR-MASTER REV. J.C.DAVIES, PASTOR -- EXAMINATION WINNERS - F.OWEN; WILLIAM DAVIES; SOLOMAN MIXON; J.MIXON; T.BIDDER; J.BIDDER & MISS MARY GAMMON & MISS ELIZABETH ANNE MIXON (8)
  • 1870; PRESENTATION OF CLOTHES TO SUNDAY SCHOOL CHILDREN OF MUMBLES AND NEWTON INDEPENDENT CHAPELS BY WIFE OF REV. J.C. DAVIES (8)
  • 1898; PARACLETE CHAPEL, MUMBLES: REV.J.C .DAVIES RESIGNED AS PASTOR - REV. J. H. SEARLE, RESOLVEN, CHOSEN TO TAKE THE SERVICE (8)
  • 1898; PARACLETE CHAPEL, MUMBLES:CLAIM BY REV. THOMAS PINCH, OF TABERNACLE CHAPEL, CASTLETON, TO BE NEW PASTOR, WAS REPUDIATED (8)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "............established in 1818. A new chapel building was built in 1878."
    "......marriage registers, 1905-1989."

Congregational chapel, Norton

  • Congregational chapel, Norton 90 sittings Rev Samuel Cundy Pinch 1910 (4)
  • 1869; ANNIVERSARY TEA MEETING OF NORTON CHAPEL, MUMBLES.ADDRESSES BY REV.GEORGE P.EVANS & OTHERS (8)

Methodist

Wesleyan Chapel, The Dunns/Dunnslane, Mumbles

  • See a short history and photograph of this chapel on the Gower Methodists site
  • The Mumbles contains a place of worship belonging to the Wesleyans - a very pretty chapel, opened in 1877 Slaters Directory for 1880 (1)
  • Wesleyan Methodist, Mumbles Rev. James Spensley Slaters Directory for 1880 (1)
  • Wesleyan, The Dunns 500 sittings Rev Chas Tomlinson Horne 1895 (3)
  • Wesleyan, The Dunns (Swansea Circuit) 500 sittings Rev William R Rice 1910 (4)
  • Methodist chapel, Dunnslane, Mumbles SS61608811 Still in use in 2003 (7)
  • Wesleyan Methodist Erected in 1817 (no informant's name) 1851 (11)
  • Victoria church, Mumbles SS61608811 Built in 1805?, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1872 (7)
    This reference to 'Victoria' church is confusing, see the Victoria Hall entry below
  • The Methodists had 177 members and about 200 adherents by 1907. Among the members in 1906 were one of the lighthouse keepers, Mr John THOMAS; an employee of the coastguard, Mr W. PENGELLY; and Messrs Samuel PEACHEY, one of the family who owned the Livery & Posting Stables in the Dunns Oystermouth; F. Fone FORD & T. KEISER, watch & clock makers ; E. SMALE, butcher of Newton Road; and Edmund PHILLIPS, photographer and lanternist of Claremont Studios, Claremont Villas. They also took over what was to be renamed the Victoria Hall in 1904 (10)
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
  • Mumbles Methodist Church site
  • There is an article by Maisie Harris A Schooner landed on the Methodist Church steps on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • 1849; INDEPENDENT METHODIST CHAPEL MUMBLES - LEAVE THE WESLEYANS. GEORGE CLEMENT, CAPT. D. EVANS (8)
  • 1855; MUMBLES WESLEYAN REFORM SUNDAY SCHOOL (SUPERINTENDENT GEORGE CLEMENT) (8)
  • 1861; REPORT: RE-OPENING OF WESLEYAN CHAPEL,MUMBLES AFTER IMPROVEMENTS-HISTORY OF COMMUNITY (8)
  • 1866; WESLEYAN SOCIETY TEA PARTY, OYSTERMOUTH CASTLE J.JENKINS, ROTHERSLADE, CHAIRMAN (8)
  • 1866; OPENING OF THE ORGAN AT WESLEYAN CHAPEL, MUMBLES: REV. TYLER, MR.WALL, SWANSEA AT ORGAN (8)
  • 1875; A BAZAAR IN AID OF THE NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL, WILL BE HELD ...... AT OYSTERMOUTH CASTLE, MUMBLES ...... BY KIND PERMISSION OF HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF BEAUFORT (8)

Victoria Hall / St David's Hall

  • Presbyterian, St David's Hall Rev Adam Mackinlay Macarthur 1895 (3)
  • Victoria Hall, Oystermouth SS61568813 Built in 1898 Denomination not given (7)
  • The Great Religous Revival of 1904/5 was felt in Mumbles just as elsewhere, e.g. on boxing day 1904, 150 people attended a prayer meeting in the Victoria Hall, and over 170 attended the "Welcome Tea" later in the day (10)
  • "Victoria Hall ... built as a Gospel Hall in 1875/76......used by the Salvation Army ..... until 1889.... then bought by the Presbyterian Church of England and named St. David's Hall ..... the use of the premises temporarily secured by the Methodist Church in 1899 who in 1904 bought the lease together with the adjoining land. It was then that it was renamed the Victoria Hall" - From the Gower Methodists site

Primitive Methodist

  • Primitive Methodist Erected in 1846 John Rees Brentin, Steward, 26 Goat St, Swansea 1851 (11)

Other (inc. un-identified)

Catholic Church
Our Lady Star of the Sea, Promenade Terrace, Mumbles

  • Built 1909-1916
  • The Roman Catholics took over the "Square Stone Mission room" at Southend in 1906. They had 30 members in that year, they moved to their present site on the Seafront in 1919 (10)

Cemetery chapel, Oystermouth

  • Cemetery chapel, Oystermouth SS60768840 (7)
  • Sold off and converted to a private residence in the approximate period 2000/5 (9)

Bible Christian chapel, Norton

  • Bible Christian chapel, Norton 1895 (3)

Christadelphian (Synagogue), Mumbles/Oystermouth

  • Christadelphian, Mumbles Slaters Directory for 1880 (1)
  • Christadelphian, The Dunns John K Clement, leader 1895 (3) and 200 sittings 1910 (4)
  • Christadelphian, Oystermouth SS61638819 (7)
  • Mumbles Christadelphians on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared) which shows its location as Mount Zion Hall, The Dunns (Oystermouth Square), Mumbles
  • There is a plaque on the front wall 'Mount Zion 1830' (9)
  • A second group of Christadelphians opened a chapel in Limekiln Road (10)
  • REV.WM.GRIFFITHS JUN.TO PREACH AT VICTORIA ROOMS, OXFORD ST. & MOUNT ZION CHAPEL, MUMBLES Denomination not given (8)
  • 1869; LETTER CLAIMING LECTURES TO CHRISTADELPHIANS AT MUMBLES BY DR.THOMAS, U.S.A., MISREPRESENTED (8)
  • 1871; MR.W.CLEMENT TO GIVE FIVE LECTURES AT THE CHRISTADELPHIAN SYNAGOGUE, MUMBLES (8)

Christian Brethren, The Dunns

  • Christian Brethren, The Dunns 1895 (3)

Castleton Gospel Hall, Newton Rd

  • Castleton Gospel Hall, Newton Rd 250 sittings 1910 (4)
  • Castleton chapel (Christian Witness) on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)

Plymouth Brethren (Mission Room)

  • Plymouth Brethren (Mission Room) 1895 (3)
  • Plymouth Brethren, Oystermouth SS6188 (7)
  • The Gospel Hall was opened in Newton Road in 1902 for the Plymouth Bretheren (10)

Unitarian, Mumbles

  • The Mumbles contains places of worship belonging to the Unitarians Slaters Directory for 1880 (1)

Iron chapel, Thistleboon

  • There was the Iron Chapel in Thistleboon (10)

[Last Updated : 2 June 2013 - Gareth Hicks]