GENUKI Home Page Oystermouth Oystermouth Contents Contents

Oystermouth

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Oystermouth database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

 

Books/Journals

 

Baptist

Baptist Church, Newton Rd, Oystermouth

  • Baptist Church, Newton Rd, Oystermouth         SS61168815      (7)
  • Mumbles Baptist chapel, Newton Rd, Newton on  The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)

Bethany English Baptist chapel, West Cross

  • The Mumbles contains places of worship belonging to the Baptists  Slaters Directory for 1880  (1)
  • English Baptist chapel, West Cross      250 sittings            Rev Thomas Davies      1895  (3)       and 1910   (4)
  • Bethany Baptist chapel, West Cross      SS61338909         Built in 1850, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1855   (7)
  • Bethany Baptist, Norton                Erected in 1850                John Evans, Deacon, Newton         1851  (11)
  •  
  • There is a book by Robert Barnes Bethany Baptist Church, West Cross, 1851-2001, 2001 - there are extracts on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • "The Baptist Church was still situated, solely at Bethany, until on 21 July 1907 the Glamorgan English Baptist Association [Swansea district] arranged a series of sunday services at the Kursaal [on the site of the present Tivoli] in order to find out whether a baptist church was needed in the Village".
    "They continued to meet in the Kursaal until 10 November 1907 when they moved to the Council School ....  until a new church was built on nearby land known as "Pool Close.
    This was opened by Lord Glantawe on 16 June 1910."      (10)
  • Bethany Baptist Church on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  •  
  • 1850; BAPTIST CHAPEL, MUMBLES - TEA PARTY AT OYSTERMOUTH CASTLE    (8)
  • 1865; BETHANY BAPTIST CHAPEL, MUMBLES: SERMON BY NEW PASTOR, REV. J.R.D. POOLEY, LATE OF CHIPPENHAM  (8)
  • 1866; ORDINATION OF REV. R. WARNER, LATE OF BRISTOL COLLEGE, AT BETHANY BAPTIST CHAPEL,MUMBLES  (8)
  • 1867; MUMBLES:OPENING SEVICES OF BETHANY BAPTIST CHAPEL. - AFTER ENLARGEMENTS  (8)
  • 1870; BETHANY BAPTIST CHAPEL, MUMBLES, CONCERT: MESSRS. MORGAN, KINGDON, ORRIN (POST OFFCE, MUMBLES)    (8)
  • 1872; REV J. ROBERTS FAREWELL SERVICE AT MUMBLES BAPTIST CHAPEL. PRESENT, MR. JOHN MORGAN, SENIOR DEACON PRESIDED...   (8)

 

Congregationalist

Mount Sion Independent chapel, Duns, Oystermouth

  • Mount Sion Independent chapel, Duns, Oystermouth      Erected in 1850     William Clement, Independent  Methodist Minister, Mumbles                   1851  (11)      [either chapel designation or the minister's looks wrong, which ?]

Tabernacle English Independent/United Reformed chapel, Castleton / Mumbles

  • Independent, Mumbles          Rev John C Davies     Slaters Directory for 1880  (1)
  • Tabernacle United Reformed Church ( English), Mumbles       Opened  in 1831, still open in 1992     (2)
  • Congregational chapel, Castleton     550 sittings    Rev John Carvan Davies and Rev Samuel Cundy Pinch   1895  (3)
  • Tabernacle Congregational chapel, Castleton              Rev Samuel Cundy Pinch 1910     (4)
  • Tabernacle Independent chapel, Chapel St, Mumbles    SS61388817    Built in 1831, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1871    (7)
  • Tabernacle Ind                  Erected in 1831                 John Marks Evans, Minister, Mumbles              1851  (11)
  •  
  • There is a book by T. Bryn Richard: Centenary souvenir 1870-1970: the origin and history of Tabernacle Congregational church, Mumbles, Swansea, (Swansea, 1969), 40pp.    (5) 
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
  •  
  • In January 1905, in the Castleton Congregational Church, where meetings were held every night, over 100 people confessed christ as their saviour  (10)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Deric John
  • Tabernacle United Reformed Church on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • Cambrian H82 BUILDINGS, RELIGION, CHAPELS  11 September 1830;  FOUNDATION STONE OF NEW INDEPENDENT CHAPEL LAID AT THE MUMBLES.     (8 & 9)
  • Cambrian H82 BUILDINGS, RELIGION, CHAPELS  11 June 1831; ............... NEW CHAPEL OPENED AT MUMBLES     (8 & 9)
  • 1870; PRESENTATION TO REV. J.C.DAVIES, OF TABERNACLE, MUMBLES, BY HIS TABERNACLE & NEWTON MUSIC CLASSES  (8)
  • 1870; NEW CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, MUMBLES, TO BE ERECTED BEHIND ISAAC REES'S MARINE VILLA  (8)
  • 1870; FOUNDATION STONE OF NEW CONGREGATIONAL CHAPEL, MUMBLES, LAID 4 MAY 1870  (8)
  • 1871; NEW CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, MUMBLES: ARCHITECT - JOHN HUMPHREY, MORRISTON; BUILDER - JOHN ROSSER, OYSTERMOUTH  (8)
  • 1871; CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH,MUMBLES: OLD SCHOOLROOM BUILT 1831 BY REV. HAMMERTON - LATER MINISTERS - SEAVEIL, STEADMAN & EVANS  (8)
  • 1871; NEW CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, MUMBLES: REV.DAVIES, PASTOR,GIVES HISTORY OF CONGREGATIONALISM IN MUMBLES & NEWTON SINCE 1831  (8)
  • 1874; MR. POWELL THOMAS OF LONDON SINGS AT MUMBLES CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH. CHAIRMAN J.J. JENKINS ESQ   (8)
  • 1888; CONGREGATIONALISM AT MUMBLES: TEA MEETING AT CASTLETON    (8)

Paraclete English Congregational chapel, Newton Rd, Newton

  • Independent, Newton                                     Rev John C Davies    Slaters Directory for 1880  (1)
  • Paraclete (Congregational Federation) (English), Newton               Opened in 1818, closed pre 1992  (2)
  • Congregational chapel, Newton     200 sittings          Rev John Carvan Davies and Rev Samuel Cundy Pinch   1895  (3)
  • Congregational chapel, Newton                450 sittings                     Rev David Rees    1910  (4)
  • Records at Glamorgan Record Office   (6)
  • Paraclete Congregational church, Newton Rd, Newton     SS60408814   Built in 1818, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1878 and 1900, still in use in 2002     (7)
  • Paraclete Ind                   Erected in 1818              John Marks Evans, Ind Minister, Newton            1851  (11)
  •  
  • There is an article by Elizabeth Evans   The Origins of Paraclete chapel, Newton  on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • Paraclete Congregational Church on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  • Paraclete, Newton, Mumbles, Swansea  is shown on the list of current chapels on the  Congregational Federation site as being opened in 1818         (JC 9)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Deric John
  •  
  • 1869; PARACLETE CHAPEL, MUMBLES, CHORAL EXAMINATION - CHOIR-MASTER REV. J.C.DAVIES, PASTOR  --  EXAMINATION WINNERS - F.OWEN; WILLIAM DAVIES; SOLOMAN MIXON; J.MIXON; T.BIDDER; J.BIDDER   & MISS MARY GAMMON & MISS ELIZABETH ANNE MIXON (8)
  • 1870; PRESENTATION OF CLOTHES TO SUNDAY SCHOOL CHILDREN OF MUMBLES AND NEWTON INDEPENDENT CHAPELS  BY WIFE OF REV. J.C. DAVIES    (8)
  • 1898; PARACLETE CHAPEL, MUMBLES: REV.J.C .DAVIES RESIGNED AS PASTOR - REV. J. H. SEARLE, RESOLVEN, CHOSEN TO TAKE THE SERVICE  (8)
  • 1898; PARACLETE CHAPEL, MUMBLES:CLAIM BY REV. THOMAS PINCH, OF TABERNACLE CHAPEL, CASTLETON, TO BE NEW PASTOR, WAS REPUDIATED  (8)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "............established in 1818. A new chapel building was built in 1878."
    "......marriage registers, 1905-1989."

Congregational chapel, Norton

  • Congregational chapel, Norton       90 sittings          Rev Samuel Cundy Pinch           1910  (4)
  •  
  • 1869; ANNIVERSARY TEA MEETING OF NORTON CHAPEL, MUMBLES.ADDRESSES BY REV.GEORGE P.EVANS & OTHERS   (8)

 

Methodist

Wesleyan Chapel, The Dunns/Dunnslane, Mumbles

  • See a short history and photograph  of this chapel on the Gower Methodists site
  • The Mumbles contains a place of worship belonging to the Wesleyans - a very pretty chapel, opened in 1877     Slaters Directory for 1880  (1)
  • Wesleyan Methodist, Mumbles           Rev. James Spensley     Slaters Directory for 1880  (1)
  • Wesleyan, The Dunns                                        500 sittings              Rev Chas Tomlinson Horne   1895  (3)
  • Wesleyan, The Dunns  (Swansea Circuit)         500 sittings              Rev William R Rice    1910  (4)
  • Methodist chapel, Dunnslane, Mumbles            SS61608811             Still in use in 2003   (7)
  • Wesleyan Methodist         Erected in 1817                    (no informant's name)      1851  (11)
  •  
  • Victoria church, Mumbles              SS61608811            Built in 1805?, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1872    (7)
    This reference to 'Victoria' church is confusing, see the Victoria Hall entry below
  •  
  •  The Methodists had 177 members and about 200 adherents by 1907. Among the members in 1906 were one of the lighthouse keepers, Mr John THOMAS; an employee of the coastguard, Mr W. PENGELLY; and Messrs Samuel PEACHEY, one of the family who owned the Livery & Posting Stables in the Dunns Oystermouth; F. Fone FORD & T. KEISER, watch & clock makers ; E. SMALE, butcher of Newton Road; and Edmund PHILLIPS, photographer and lanternist of Claremont Studios, Claremont Villas. They also took over what was to be renamed the Victoria Hall in 1904   (10)
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
  •  
  • Mumbles Methodist Church  site
  • There is an article by Maisie Harris   A Schooner landed on the Methodist Church steps on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)
  •  
  • 1849; INDEPENDENT METHODIST CHAPEL MUMBLES - LEAVE THE WESLEYANS. GEORGE CLEMENT, CAPT. D. EVANS   (8)
  • 1855; MUMBLES WESLEYAN REFORM SUNDAY SCHOOL (SUPERINTENDENT GEORGE CLEMENT)   (8)
  • 1861; REPORT: RE-OPENING OF WESLEYAN CHAPEL,MUMBLES AFTER IMPROVEMENTS-HISTORY OF COMMUNITY  (8)
  • 1866; WESLEYAN SOCIETY TEA PARTY, OYSTERMOUTH CASTLE J.JENKINS, ROTHERSLADE, CHAIRMAN     (8)
  • 1866; OPENING OF THE ORGAN AT WESLEYAN CHAPEL, MUMBLES: REV. TYLER, MR.WALL, SWANSEA AT ORGAN  (8)
  • 1875; A BAZAAR IN AID OF THE NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL, WILL BE HELD ...... AT OYSTERMOUTH CASTLE, MUMBLES ...... BY KIND PERMISSION OF HIS GRACE THE DUKE OF BEAUFORT    (8)

Victoria Hall / St David's Hall

  • Presbyterian, St David's Hall                    Rev Adam Mackinlay Macarthur      1895   (3)
  • Victoria Hall, Oystermouth             SS61568813      Built in 1898      Denomination not given     (7)
  • The Great Religous Revival of 1904/5 was felt in Mumbles just as elsewhere, e.g. on boxing day 1904, 150 people attended a prayer meeting in the Victoria Hall, and over 170 attended the "Welcome Tea" later in the day  (10)
  • "Victoria Hall ... built as a Gospel Hall in 1875/76......used by the Salvation Army ..... until 1889.... then bought by the Presbyterian Church of England and named St. David's Hall ..... the use of the premises temporarily secured by the Methodist Church in 1899 who in 1904 bought the lease together with the adjoining land. It was then that it was renamed the Victoria Hall"  -  From the Gower Methodists site

Primitive Methodist

  • Primitive Methodist         Erected in 1846           John Rees Brentin, Steward, 26 Goat St, Swansea           1851  (11)

 

Other (inc. un-identified)

Catholic Church
Our Lady Star of the Sea, Promenade Terrace,  Mumbles

  • Built 1909-1916       See Diocese of Menevia (under Swansea)
  • The Roman Catholics took over the "Square Stone Mission room" at Southend in 1906. They had 30 members in that year,  they moved to their present site on the Seafront in 1919             (10)

Cemetery chapel, Oystermouth

  • Cemetery chapel, Oystermouth      SS60768840    (7)
  •  Sold off and converted to a private residence in the approximate  period 2000/5  (9)

Bible Christian chapel, Norton

  • Bible Christian chapel, Norton         1895  (3)

Christadelphian (Synagogue), Mumbles/Oystermouth

  • Christadelphian, Mumbles             Slaters Directory for 1880  (1)
  • Christadelphian, The Dunns            John K Clement, leader     1895  (3)               and 200 sittings  1910  (4)
  • Christadelphian, Oystermouth               SS61638819               (7)
  • Mumbles Christadelphians on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared) which shows its location as Mount Zion Hall, The Dunns (Oystermouth Square), Mumbles
  • There is a plaque on the front wall  'Mount Zion 1830'  (9)
  • A second group of Christadelphians opened a chapel in Limekiln Road   (10)
  • REV.WM.GRIFFITHS JUN.TO PREACH AT VICTORIA ROOMS, OXFORD ST. & MOUNT ZION CHAPEL, MUMBLES         Denomination not given         (8)
  • 1869; LETTER CLAIMING LECTURES TO CHRISTADELPHIANS AT MUMBLES BY DR.THOMAS, U.S.A., MISREPRESENTED   (8)
  • 1871; MR.W.CLEMENT TO GIVE FIVE LECTURES AT THE CHRISTADELPHIAN SYNAGOGUE, MUMBLES (8)

Christian Brethren, The Dunns

  • Christian Brethren, The Dunns                          1895  (3)

Castleton Gospel Hall, Newton Rd

  • Castleton Gospel Hall, Newton Rd                 250 sittings                      1910  (4)
  • Castleton chapel (Christian Witness) on The Mumbles Book site (site disappeared)

Plymouth Brethren (Mission Room)

  • Plymouth Brethren (Mission Room)                  1895  (3)
  • Plymouth Brethren, Oystermouth                      SS6188             (7)
  • The Gospel Hall was opened in Newton Road in 1902 for the Plymouth Bretheren  (10)

Unitarian, Mumbles

  • The Mumbles contains places of worship belonging to the Unitarians  Slaters Directory for 1880  (1)

Iron chapel, Thistleboon

  • There was the Iron Chapel in Thistleboon    (10)

[Last Updated : 2 June 2013  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.