"PEN LLYNN, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmure), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Vicarage valued in the King's Books at £4..15..2 1/2: Patron, Thomas Wyndham, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Brynach. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 263. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £89..4..3, at 4s. 6d. in the pound. It is 3 1/2 m. N. b. N. from Cowbridge. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809 the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, Glebe, and Augmentation, was £35..14..10. The Castle is in ruins." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
The church is dedicated to St. John Evangelist, and is in the Benefice of Cowbridge Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS979747.
Homfray of Penllyn Estate papers 1777-1983 "The Homfray family, long seated in Yorkshire, came to Glamorgan when Francis Homfray of Wollaston Hall, Worcestershire, married Hannah Popkin of Coytrahen (Coetre-hen), near Bridgend, Glamorgan. Francis, a successful iron-master in Staffordshire and Worcestershire, established an ironworks at Penydarren, Merthyr Tydfil. His third son, Jeremiah Homfray (1759-1833) gave up his share in the Penydarren works to his brother, Samuel in 1789. In 1813 Jeremiah was declared bankrupt. He fled to Boulogne to avoid paying his creditors. Jeremiah's son, John Homfray (1793-1877) purchased Penllyn Castle in the vale of Glamorgan in 1846. ..............................................."
Penlline [Penllyn] Civil Parish records "........... comprising copy of tithe plan and apportionment, 1840"