GENUKI Home Page Penllyn Penllyn Contents Contents

Penllyn - Extract from "A Topographical Dictionary of Wales"
by Samuel Lewis 1833

"PENLLYNE (PEN-LLYN), a parish in the hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 3 miles (N. W. by W.) from Cowbridge, containing 349 inhabitants.

This place is chiefly distinguished for its ancient castle, the founder of which and the time of its erection are both unknown; but the construction of its walls plainly indicate a very early origin ; and its situation on the summit of a lofty eminence near the village, commanding the surrounding country, shews it to have been a post of some importance. In Leland's time the castle, with its dependencies, was the property of the Turberville family, from whom it passed to the Stradlings of St. Donatt's, and from that family, in default of heirs male, to the Mansels of Margam, together with part of their other estates. The property was subsequently devised by the late Lady Vernon, daughter of Lord Mansel, to Miss Gwynnette, who erected on part of the site of the castle an elegant modern mansion, in which some remains of the ancient edifice were incorporated : this lady bequeathed it to the Earl of Clarendon for life, with reversion to Capt. Tyler, R. N.

From the eminence on which the present mansion is built there is an extensive view of the surrounding country, abounding with highly picturesque and beautifully diversified scenery, in some parts enriched with woods, and in others enlivened with pleasing villages and numerous gentlemen's seats. Penllyne Court, formerly the seat of Major Dacre, and now, by marriage with his only daughter, the property of Dr. Salmon of Swansea, is a handsome mansion, pleasantly situated in the centre of a thriving plantation, and commanding some fine views of the adjacent country.

The village is small and pleasantly situated; and the turnpike road from Cardiff  to Swansea passes through the parish.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry aud diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at 4. 15.2 1/2., endowed with 600 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Earl of Dunraven. The church, dedicated to St. Brynach, and hence commonly called Llanvrynach, is an ancient and venerable structure, in the early style of English architecture, situated on the south side of the turnpike road, about a mile from the village. Burials and christenings, and occasionally divine service are performed here ; but the regular service is performed every Sunday at a chapel of ease in the village, which is more conveniently situated for the parishioners.

A school on the National system is about to be established in connexion with the Central Society in London, from which the parish has received a grant of 28 towards the erection of a building for the purpose.

The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to of 136. 9."

Penllyn - Lewis 1833
[Last Updated : 16 Oct 2002 - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.