This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database
This Penrice database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;
If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references
Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source
(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )
Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there
may be more data available
No Baptist chapels found in this parish
No Congregationalist chapels found in this parish
Horton Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Horton, Penrice
- Horton Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Horton, Penrice SS47438598 Built in
[it has extant records from 1864 and see below]
- Horton Wesleyan Methodist Erected
in 1815 William Tucker,
Local Preacher, Horton 1851
- Horton Methodist chapel on the Gower Methodists site from which this is a short extract
"The first William Tucker ....... was succeeded by his son William II..... Both men were Methodists and in the record of societies in 1796, William Tucker II is listed. This society was based in Oxwich and included members from Horton and Port Eynon."
- There is an article by Neilson, Gren P.
The Tuckers of Horton : two hundred and fifty years of farming and
Methodism in a Gower family.
Gower 42 (1991), p. 42-9 (2)
- Horton Methodist Chapel was first built
1813, according to a letter sent in 1870, a transcript of which is included in an unpublished history of Gower Methodism, following Oxwich chapel in 1808. The chapel at Horton was
rebuilt in late 1860s or early 1870s (JC 4)
- 1870; NOTICE: R.WHITE BEOR, GIVING PERMISSION TO HORTON CHAPEL, PENRICE, TO SOLEMINISE MARRIAGES (3)
Other (inc un-identified)
[Last Updated : 30 Jan 2006 - Gareth Hicks]
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.