Pentyrch - Lewis 1833
"PENTYRCH, a parish in the hundred of MISKIN, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (N. W.by W.) from Cardiff, containing 926 inhabitants.
This parish, which is situated on the western bank of the river Taf, here crossed by an iron bridge, the passengers over which are subject to a toll, is divided into Garth and Castle hamlets, which do not, however, maintain their poor separately.
Messrs. Richard Blakemore and Co., of the Melin Grufydd Works, two miles southward, have also extensive works here : at the upper works is a blast furnace, and pig iron and finers' metal are there manufactured ; these are rolled into charcoal bar iron at the lower works, the metal thus completed in which is conveyed by a tram-road to the Melin Grufydd works, for the manufacture of tin and sheet iron : the number of persons employed, including colliers and miners, is about one hundred and seventy. In one part of the parish the iron-ore is found in parallel strata; in another, in patches, indiscriminately blended with limestone : there is also an abundance of good coal, which is actively worked.
The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £ 8. 3. 1 1/2., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Archdeacon and Chapter of Llandaf. The church is dedicated to St. Cadocus. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists.
A school is about to be established by subscription among the principal landed proprietors.
Mary Matthew, in 1729, gave by will the sum of £300, for the benefit of the poor.
An old mansion in this parish, called " Castell y Mynach," now the property of Lord Dynevor, and occupied by a farmer, was formerly a religious house, but nothing is known of its history.
The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £ 355. 17."
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996