Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Peterston super Ely
"PETERSTONE upon ELAY, in the Cwmwd of Uwch Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory valued in the King's Books at £7..12. 8 1/2: Patron, Sir John Aubrey, Bart.: Church dedicated to St. Peter. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 220. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £155..1..6 1/4, at 2s. ld. per acre. It is 8 m. W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains about 1200 acres of Land. It is situate upon the river Elay."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
- Parish Church of St. Peter
- Croes-y-Parc Baptist
Visit their website for information on how to purchase.
Glamorgan Chapels Database project - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish. Only two chapels found in this parish - according to the Kain/Oliver parish maps and one source below the first should more correctly have been included under St Nicholas, details below;
- 1. Croes-y-Parc Welsh Baptist chapel, St Nicholas. ST07947583. Built in 1779, modified, altered or rebuilt 1843 and c.1877, still in use in 2000 The Chapels Recording Project in Wales
- Croes y parc, Particular Baptist Erected in 1777 David John, Deacon, Peterston Bridge (Informant) (1851 Relgious census)
- See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
- For MIs and Membership List see under Peterston-super-Ely on Glamorgan Family History Society
- [St Nicholas]There are also chapels for Calvinists and Welsh Baptists [latter must be Croes-y-parc]
(Slaters Directory 1880)
- [St Nicholas]There are Baptist and CM chapels
(Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - Archive CD Books Cd)
- [St Nicholas]There is a CM chapel in the village and a Baptist chapel at Croes-y-parc founded in 1777, seating 500 , attached burial ground
(Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - Archive CD Books Cd)
- Croes-y-parc on Archives Network Wales -
"Croes-y-parc Baptist Church, Peterstone-super-Ely... established in 1776 as a Particular/Strict Baptist church ........ after its admission to the Baptist Association in 1778 the ruined house of Croes-y-parc was leased and chapel constructed..... rebuilding in 1843. Croes-y-parc was the mother church of Tabernacl Welsh Baptist Church 1813, in the Star and Garter, on the western side of Cardiff Castle .... and .. churches at Cadoxton, Twynyrodyn, and Pentyrch."
- Entries from the Peterston super Ely section of Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel
- 1801, July 30; Baptist; a house called the Bower; John Tobyas, Susanna Tobyas, Edward Miles
- 1843, April 20; Baptist; a dwelling or barn in the occupation of Christopher Yorarth, farmer; Thomas Thomas of the parish of St. George, Baptist Minister; William Jones
- 2. Ebenezer Independent chapel, Peterstone-super-Ely
Ebenezer Independent chapel, Peterstone-super-Ely Erected in 1834 Thomas Griffiths, Deacon (Informant) (1851 Religious Census)
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Peter, and is in the Benefice of Peterston-super-Ely with St. Brides-super-Ely. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST083764.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1724-1900, Marriages, 1724-1839, Burials, 1724-1900.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
||1724-1759, 1761-1815, 1817-1821, 1824-1831, 1833-1837
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Peterston-super-Ely Ecclesiastical Parish records ".......... including registers of baptisms, 1749-1966; marriages, 1754-1989; burials, 1749-1932; records relating to: churchwardens, 1915-1964; civil parish, c1902"
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
- Peterston super Ely, St. Peter - Christenings (BT's), 1772-1867
- Peterston super Ely, Croes-y-Parc Baptist - Christenings, 1801-1849
Places, villages, farms etc within Peterston-super-Ely as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Jean Gilson)
- Peterston-super-Ely (126): Allt-isaf; Allt-las; Ffos-y-crydd; Ffynnon-wen; Gwern-y-gedrych; Gwernga; Llancoslech; Lockwood; Maendy; Morlanga; Palau; Parc-coed-machen; Peterston Moors; Peterston-super-Ely.
"PETERSTON super ELY, a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county Of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (w.) from Cardiff, containing 192 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Peter, and its distinguishing adjunct from its situation on the bank of the river Ely, lies in the south-eastern part of the county, and comprises a moderate portion of arable and pasture land, which is in a good state of cultivation. Limestone is found in most parts of the parish, and the procuring of it affords employment to a portion of the inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £7. 12. 8 1/2., and in the patronage of Sir T. D. Aubrey. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is not distinguished by any architectural details. A parochial school for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, and a Sunday school, are supported principally by subscription. There are in this parish the remains of an ancient castle, Which has been long in ruins ; but nothing satisfactory is known either of its original foundation or of its history. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £125. 16." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Peterston-super-Ely on Wikipedia
You can see pictures of Peterston super Ely which are provided by:
Transcript of complete name listing for St. Nicholas, with the parishes and villages of St. George's, St. Lythans, Peterstone-super-Ely, and Pendoylan, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish
You can see the administrative areas
in which Peterston super Ely has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST082764 (Lat/Lon: 51.479034, -3.323341), Peterston super Ely which are provided by:
The Population of Peterston-super-Ely was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 223
||1851 - 222
||1861 - 235
||1871 - 219
||1881 - 233
||1891 - 285
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- Peterston-super-Ely Civil Parish records "....... comprising overseers account book, 1772-1800; bastardy bond, 1810; parish meeting minutes book, 1894-1911; assistant overseers rate book, 1926-1927; assistant overseers receipt and payment book, 1916-1927; tithe plan and apportionment, 1845; general account book of receipts and payments, 1935-1952; poor rate book, 1875-1876"