We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"PORTH CERI, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales a discharged Rectory valued in the King's Books at £7..8..1 1/2: Patron, John Edwards, Esq. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 99. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £25..6..2, at 8d. per acre. It is 12 m. S.W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains 660 acres of Land, all inclosed. It is situate upon the Bristol Channel; the Name implying, The Harbour of Ceri. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice arising from Tythes, and Rent of Glebe, was £138..19..8. "   From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Curig


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Porthkerry area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Glamorgan Chapels Database - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish, here is the only  reference found for one such chapel in this parish

  • [Porthkerry]  1819, January 4; Baptist; the dwelling-house of Phillip Harbert, being a part of the estate of the late Sir Samuel Rumily, and called Ty Isha; the said Phillip Harbert, William Edward, David Evans, Thomas Phillip
    Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel 

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Curig, is in the Benefice of Penmark with Porthkerry, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST083666.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1724-1899, Marriages, 1724-1836, Burials, 1724-1902.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1776-1969 1754-1811, 1815-1836, 1841-1983 1776-1985 1824-1908 1724-1749, 1751, 1753-1755, 1757-1758, 1760-1777, 1779-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Porthkerry Ecclesiastical Parish records         "........ including registers of baptisms, 1776-1969; marriages, 1754-1983; banns, 1824-1908; burials, 1776-1985; records relating to property, 1926-1931; churchwardens, 1818-1877; vestry, 1841-1885; tithe, 1844"

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Porthkerry which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Porthkerry parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of    Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)

  • Porthkerry [172] - The Bulwarks, Castle Rock,  Dams Bay, The Dams, Lime Works, Lower Porthkerry, Old Castle at Rhoose (remains of) AM, Porthkerry Ho, Porthkerry, Rhoose Point, Rhoose, Viaduct :
  • PORTHKERRY (DET)-  Beggarswell, Cwm Fm.

"PORTHKERRY (PORTH-CERI), a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (S. E.) from Cowbridge, containing 109 inhabitants. This place derives its name, signifying the port of Ceri, from its situation on a small harbour of the Bristol channel, which is entered by vessels of inconsiderable burden, for the purpose of shipping the limestone which is quarried in the neighbourhood. Ceri, from whom the harbour received its name, was the great grandfather of the celebrated Caradog, or Caractacus ; but in what respect that chieftain was connected with this place does not appear. The manor formed part of the allotment of Sir John St. John, of Fonmon castle, one of Fitz-Hamon's knights, and, after passing through various hands, ultimately came into the possession of the late Sir Samuel Romilly, whose heirs are the present proprietors. The parish comprises but a very small tract of land, the whole of which is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £7. 8. 1 1/2., and in the patronage of the heirs of the late Sir Samuel Romilly. The church, dedicated to St. Curig, is not remarkable for any architectural details ; but in the churchyard is a handsome cross, in tolerably good preservation. There is a small charitable bequest to the poor of this parish by an unknown benefactor. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £63. 16."  ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)

Porthkerry Park - on Wikipedia

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Porthkerry has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Description and image of Barry Castle, Porthkerry at www.castlewales.com by Jeff Thomas


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST084669 (Lat/Lon: 51.393668, -3.318001), Porthkerry which are provided by:


The Population of Porthkerry was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 120 1851 - 146 1861 - 168 1871 - 153 1881 - 129 1891 - 145

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Porthkerry Civil Parish records                 " ........ comprising assistant overseers rate book, 1926; assistant overseers receipt and payment book, 1919-1927; copy of tithe plan and apportionment, c1840"


Porthkerry [Last Updated : 15 July 2014 - Gareth Hicks]