GENUKI Home Page Pyle and KenfigPyle and Kenfig Contents Contents

 Pyle and Kenfig

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Pyle and Kenfig  database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

 Additional sources

 

NB.  Kenfig Hill is partly in the parish of Pyle and Kenfig and partly in Tythegston parish

 

Baptist

Pisgah Welsh Baptist, Kenfig Hill / Pyle

  • Pisgah Welsh Baptist, Kenfig Hill   (3)
  • Welsh Baptist, Kenfig Hill               Rev Thomas Myddrin Williams   1910  (5)
  • The Baptists, Independents and Calvinistic Methodists have each a place of worship here (Kenfig Hill)  Slaters Directory for 1880
  • Glamorgan FHS   MIs index    (2)
  • 1837, January 9; Particular Baptist; a building called Pisgah; John James of Bridgend, Minister of the Gospel and a trustee of the said building, Samuel Marks, Evan Marks     ( Pyle and Kenfig)    (1)
  • Pisgah Baptist chapel, Pyle             SS83198257 (which is in Pyle)         Built in 1835, still in use in 1997   (6)
  • 1842; REV T. JONES OF NEATH PREACHES AT PISCAH BAPTIST CHAPEL PYLE   (7)

Mount Zion English Baptist chapel, Ffald Rd, Pyle

  •  Mount Zion English Baptist chapel, Ffald Rd, Pyle       SS82708251      Still in use in 1999    (6)

Baptist chapel, Pyle

  • There is a Baptist chapel (Pyle)             1895  (4)
  • There is a Baptist chapel (Pyle)                         erected in 1860       500 sittings      1910  (5)   

 

Congregationalist

Elim Congregational chapel, Crown Rd, Kenfig Hill

  • The Baptists, Independents and Calvinistic Methodists have each a place of worship here (Kenfig Hill)  Slaters Directory for 1880
  • Welsh Ind, Kenfig Hill                    Rev. Daniel William            Slaters Directory for 1880
  • Elim Congregational chapel, Kenfig Hill          (3)
  • A Congregational chapel, rebuilt in 1880 with 600 sittings         Rev Samuel Williams     1895  (4)
  • A Congregational chapel, rebuilt in 1880 with 600 sittings          Rev Dan Williams           1910  (5)
  • Elim Welsh Ind chapel, Crown Rd, Kenfig Hill       SS84018322     Built in 1848, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1852 and 1880, disused pre 1998      (6)
  • Elim Ind, Kenfig Hill        Erected in 1847          Griffith Jones, Minister, Kenfig Hill, Pyle       1851    (listed under Tythegston parish)       (9)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (May 2009)
  • Elim Congregational Church, Kenfig Hill from Neville Granville's book A Thousand Names and Faces - People of Cefn Cribbwr, Kenfig Hill & Pyle  (D.Brown & Sons Ltd., Bridgend 1996):
    "Elim Chapel stood in the very heart of the old Kenfig Hill, that is the colliery village of Bryndu. It was a daughter church of Siloam, Cefn (1827) and for many years shared a minister with it's mother church. After early meetings in private houses in Crown Road, a scheme was drawn up, under the leadership of the Revd. John Thomas of Siloam, for a permanent chapel in Kenfig Hill.. When this was built and opened its doors (1847), 31 of Siloam's 77 members left to support the new cause. Elim continued to share a pastorate, however, with its mother church, and the Revd. John Thomas was followed by the Revd. Griffith Jones (1850-78) and the Revd. Dan Williams (1878 - 1919). During the latter pastorate, the original Elim was demolished and a larger chapel built (1880), at a cost of £2,200. Another £1,200 was spent in 1913 on enlarging the vestry. Following the death of the Revd.Dan Williams, Elim broke new ground by giving a call to its own minister, independently of Siloam. This was the Revd. Edwin Jones of Rhydfelyn, who served the church well although for a comparatively short time. He was followed by the Revd.D.R.Williams (1927 - late 1940's) and the Revd. R.T. Charles (1950 - 1969). From 1969 on Elim had no resident minister, and dwindling congregations led to the chapel's demolition in 1995."
    In the book is a photograph (c.1925) of the Minister (the above-mentioned Revd. Edwin Jones) and Deacons, all of whom are identified, this photograph can be seen on Ron Davies' site   (RD 8)

 

**Should have been listed under Tythegston parish

 

Independent, Ty yn y Gorse, Pyle and Kenfig
  • 1809, January 25; Independent; a house called Ty yn y Gorse; William Williams, Minister, David Howell, Morgan Lewis, Lleision Harding, William Morgan, John Roberts   (1)

 

Methodist

Moriah Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Moriah Place, Kenfig Hill

  • A Calvinistic Methodist chapel, built in 1850                 1895  (4)
  • There are 2 CM chapels, built in 1850 and 1909             1910  (5)
  • Moriah CM chapel, Moriah Place, Kenfig Hill       SS83798296      Built in 1850, still in use in 1997  (6)
  • The Baptists, Independents and Calvinistic Methodists have each a place of worship here  Slaters Directory for 1880

Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Kenfig Hill

  • There are 2 CM chapels, built in 1850 and 1909             1910  (5)

St David's CM Church, Waun Bant Rd,  Kenfig Hill

  •  St David's CM Church, Waun Bant Rd,  Kenfig Hill            SS83558277        Built in 1928, still in use in 1997       (6)  
  • Granville, Neville. A Thousand Names and Faces - People of Cefn Cribbwr, Kenfig Hill and Pyle (D. Brown & Sons Ltd., Bridgend, 1996). There is a reference in this book - with a photograph of the Minister & Committee ca.1930 - to a "St. David's Stormy Road Presbyterian Church" [the book's author confirms that Stormy Rd/Waun Bant Rd are the same place]           (RD 8)
    Also from this book ; -
    "The Rev.R.B.Owen B.A. became pastor of the church - his first - in February 1926, and led the move towards the building of the second (and present) chapel in 1928; Born in Llanelli, served in the navy in the First World War, graduated in Theological Studies at Aberystwyth then Bala. In June 1830 he accepted a call from Windsor Road Presbyterian Church, Caerphilly"
    The church still exists but not really still open for worship, they now meet in the vestry alongside, which was built c1909     (RD 8)
  • St David's Kenfig Hill English CM chapel         Waunbant Road, Mynydd Cynffig, Pen y Bont ar Ogwr CF33 6EB - still open in 2006

Wesley Hall (Wesleyan Methodist chapel), Pwllgath St, Kenfig Hill

  • Wesley Hall (Wesleyan Methodist chapel), Pwllgath St, Kenfig Hill     SS83428286   Still in use in 1999   (6)
  • From the Kenfig Hill Methodist Church site
    Quote;
    "Situated in the back streets of Kenfig Hill ....... founded by the Roberts family back in 1921, this little chapel started life as a Mission Hall....was an Independent Methodist (Wesley) church until it became a member of the circuit in the 1930s."                             (same place ?)

Capel-y-Pil Welsh CM chapel, Ffordd-yr-Eglwys, Pyle

  • There is a place of worship for Calvinistic Methodists (Pyle)   ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales   by Samuel Lewis 1833)
  • Glamorgan FHS - MI s index  (2)
  • Capel-y-Pil CM chapel, Pyle  Glamorgan Record Office     (3)
  • There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel (Pyle)             1895  (4)                 and 1910  (5)
  • Capel-y-Pil CM chapel (Pyle;Ebenezer;Cornelly), Fforddd-yr-Eglwys, Pyle      SS82368160          Built in 1786, rebuilt in 1830 and enlarged in 1862, still in use in 1998           (6)
  • Cornelly Welsh CM, Pyle                    Erected in 1788          Morgan Rees, Deacon, Postmaster       1851    (9)
  • Rev Thomas Roger Williams (CM)     [resident in Cornelly - no separate mention of a chapel here]       1910  (5)
    This Rev. Thomas Roger Williams (CM) was the pastor of Capel-y-PÓl, and, according to Neville Granville in his  book  A Thousand Names and Faces - People of Cefn Cribbwr, Kenfig Hill and Pyle (D.Brown & Sons Ltd., Bridgend,1996), he was: "... the first full time pastor of the church; he married Annie, widow of Thomas Evans (d.1901) of Fairfield House, N.Cornelly..."  
    There is a photograph of the Rev. Thomas Roger Williams, surrounded by his deacons ca.1920, in Neville Granville's book, and as one of those deacons, Thomas Powell of the Grove, Newton Nottage, was my great uncle, I have included it - with identification of the individuals - on my website   (Ron Davies  8)
  • For a brief history of the foundation of  this chapel, see below for an extract from the book A History of Taibach to 1872  by the Rev. Richard Morgan-- originally written in Welsh, and called 'Gemau Margam', translation by Les Evans. [Port Talbot] : Port Talbot Historical Society, 1987  (AB 8)
  •  From the chapel's bi-centenary booklet in 1986 - by Mr. Edwin J. Davies CBE. JP., head deacon of the chapel;-
    William Thomas of Ty Draw was the sole inspiration behind the founding of the chapel and the establishment of the Methodist cause in the area. He bought three cottages and ground in Cornelly on which to build a chapel, opened in 1786.       (AB 8)
  • 1849; CALVINISTIC METHODISTS MEETING AT CORNELLY: WILLIAM GRIFFITHS, GOWER; D. ROBERTS,SWANSEA; R. LUMLEY; D. HOWELLS, SWANSEA   (7)
  • 1850; MEETING OF CALVINISTIC METHODISTS AT CORNELLY - REPORT. WILLIAM GRIFFITHS, DAVID HOWELL, ETC.     (7)
  • 1861; ANNUAL MEETING OF CALVINISTIC METHODISTS AT PYLE - MINISTERS INCLUDE REV. D. HOWELLS, OF SWANSEA  (7)
  • Y Pil Pil  Welsh CM chapel           Ffordd yr Eglwys, Gogledd Corneli, , Pen y Bont ar Ogwr CF33 4NS - still open in 2006

 

Other (inc un-identified)

St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Pisgah St, Pyle

  • St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Pisgah St, Pyle               SS83018252          (6)

Bethel Mission, Pwllgath St, Kenfig Hill

  • Bethel Mission, Pwllgath St, Kenfig Hill      SS83478286        Denomination not given       Built in 1920, still in use in 1999            (6)

Rehoboth Apostolic Church, Evans St, Pyle

  • Rehoboth Apostolic Church, Evans St, Pyle       SS83708314                  (6)

 


A History of Taibach to 1872 by Rev.Richard Morgan.

Page 23.

Evan Thomas brother of William Thomas of Pyle died at Dyffryn Uchaf in 1780.

At that time William Thomas held the lease to the Old Barn Duffryn, where he allowed gods people to hold their religious services rent free. Before the death of Evan they had used Duffryn Uchaf.

William Thomas 1723-1811 a prominent preacher who was a member of the Seiat established by Howel Harris at Havod in 1743, optained the use of Duffryn Isaf barn- The Old Dyffryn- for the society and it was immediately converted into a chapel. The Chapel`s baptismal register notes the foundation date as 1777. [ a plaque on a house in Field Terrace, Taibach marks the spot of the Old Duffryn Barn this plaque interesting to note was made by John Williams, mason Taibach the Great Grandfather of Mr. Leslie Evans the well known local historian.].

William Thomas moved to Tydraw Farm Pyle, in 1760 but still frequently attended meetings at the old barn, he worked hard in the Pyle area and founded Capel y Pil in North Cornelly. He was also involved with the Chapel at Pen y Bryn, Margam.

On one of his visits back to Taibach William Thomas of Pyle introduced Siencyn Penhydd [Jenkin Thomas of Penhydd, Bryn]

The Pyle parish register shows us that there was a Thomas family at Tydraw Farm, Pyle as early as 1728 when it was named for the burial of one Ann Thomas.

One his arrival at Pyle in 1760 William Thomas still frequently attended meetings at the Old Barn Duffryn, but he worked hard in the Pyle area and founded " Capel y Pil " in North Cornelly.

[He is remembered with a plaque in the Chapel.]

 

Contributed by Allen Blethyn


Return to top

[Last Updated :  9 May 2009  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.