We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"RHAIADAR, in the Cwmwd of Meisgyn, Cantref of Penythen (now called the Hundred of Miskin), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales a Vicarage, not in charge, of the certified value of £15: Patron, The Earl of Plymouth: Church dedicated to St. John the Baptist. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 196. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £132..2..4 3/4, at 6s. 6d. in the pound. It is 1 1/2 m. N. W. from Llandaff. This Parish contains about 1000 acres of Land. Here is a Mineral Spring, called Pistyll Goleu, i. e., The Spout of clear Water; which is found to be efficacious in the rheumatism and weakness of the sinews. It is situate upon the river Taf, and probably derives its Name from the noise occasioned by the Stream. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, Land, and Pension from The Earl of Plymouth's Estate, was £79. "    From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. John the Baptist


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Radyr area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Glamorgan Chapels Database  project - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish. Only two chapels have been found in this parish, details below;

  • Bethel Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Chapel Rd, Morganstown. ST12738158 . Probably built in 1817 and rebuilt in 1905. (The Chapels Recording Project in Wales)
    • See MIs on Glamorgan Family History Society
    • There is a CM chapel built in 1842 in Morganstown (Kelly's Directory 1910 - Archive CD Books Cd)
    • Bethel CM       Erected in 1842         William Hugh, Deacon (Informant)        (1851 Religious Census)
  • Rhadyr Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Windsor Rd, Radyr.  ST13198035. (From The Chapels Recording Project in Wales)
    • There is a Wesleyan chapel built in 1903 (Kelly's Directory 1910 - Archive CD Books Cd )
  • Entries from the Radyr section of Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel
    • 1822, May 27; Protestant; a chapel called Bethel; John Samuel of the parish of St. Fagans, miller
    • 1838, October 18; Independent; a building called Radyr-Ucha; David Davies, Minister of the Gospel
    • 1844, April 4; Protestant (endorsed: Calvinistic Methodist); a meeting-house called Bethel; William Hugh, farmer

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. John-the-Baptist, (in Danescourt which is south east of Radyr village) is in the Benefice of Radyr, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST139790   

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1725-1900, Marriages, 1717-1836, Burials, 1717-1900.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff (Dedication unknown)
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1725-1994 1725-1971 1725-1926 1824-1865 1717, 1724-1745, 1747-1829, 1832-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Radyr Ecclesiastical Parish records                     " ......... including registers of baptisms, 1725-1994; marriages, 1754-1957; burials, 1813-1926; banns, 1824-1865; services, 1892-1927; micellaneous and civil records, 1773-1926; churchwardens accounts, 1740-1921; vestry and parochial church council, 1871-1954"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Radyr which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Radyr parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Radyr (129); Castle Mound; Cefn-Colstin; Golf Course; GWR; GWR (Rhymney ? Branch); Maerdy; Maes-y-llech; Morganstown (village); Pant-tawel; Radyr (village); Radyr Court; Radyr Fm.; Ty-mynydd; Waterhall

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis

Radyr and Morganstown Community site

Radyr - on Wikipedia


Transcript of name listing for Llandaff, with the parishes and villages of Caerau, Ely, Fairwater, Radyr, Llanilltern, St. Fagan's, Michaelston-super-Ely, and St. Bride's-super-Ely from Slaters Directory for 1880.


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Mathew family of Radyr and Llandaff papers     1655-[c. 1968]       "The first member of the Mathew family to use the surname was David Mathew (fl. 1461), son of Mathew ab Ieuan (fl. 1381-97) and Jonet, heiress of Jenkin (or Richard) Fleming of Llandaff. Mathew ab Ieuan was reputedly son of Ieuan ap Gruffudd and his wife Cecil, daughter and heiress of Aedan ap Llywelyn ap Cynfrig (or Cynwrig). David Mathew left seven sons, several of which founded cadet branches of the Mathew family. The descendants of Reinborn, the eldest son, held Llandaff Court, Glamorgan, until the death of Thomas Mathew (1741-1820), who is said to have ruined the estate. He left Llandaff Court to his wife's nephew. The Mathew family of Radyr (otherwise Aradur, Radur), Cardiff, Glamorgan, was founded by Thomas Mathew (d 1470), the fourth son of David Mathew of Llandaff (fl. 1461), who married Catherine, reputedly daughter and co-heiress of Morgan ap Llywelyn ap 'Evan-Gethyn' (or Ieuan Gethin), lord of Radyr Their descendant George Mathew (d 1636) of Radyr sold the Radyr estate, and emigrated to Thurles, County Tipperary, Ireland....................."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Radyr has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish


The Manor of Radyr - from Cardiff Records, Volume II, Chapter I  NOTES ON THE MANORS OF THE CARDIFF DISTRICT . (British History Online)


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST132804 (Lat/Lon: 51.515783, -3.252344), Radyr which are provided by:


The Population of Radyr was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 803 1851 - 991 1861 - 1,192 1871 - 883 1881 - 938 1891 - 884

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Radyr Civil Parish records    "..........comprising tithe plan and apportionment, 1841-1842; poor rate books, 1885-1909, assistant overseers collection book, 1897-1901; poor rates overseers receipt and payment book, 1907-1927; ratebooks for special expenses, 1897-1910; poor rate and special expenses, 1911-1918"


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Radyr School Board records        "........... comprising minute books, 1882-1903; letter book, 1902-1903."