We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"RHOS SILI, in the Cwmwd of Gwyr, Cantref of Eginog (now called the Hundred of Swansea), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory valued in the King's Books at £9..6..8: Patron, The Lord Chancellor: Church dedicated to St. Fili. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 158. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £31..16..4 1/4, at 2s. 11 1/4d. in the pound. It is 15 m. S. W. b. W. from Swansea. It is situate upon a Bay, to which it give name, on the Bristol Channel; and where there are great Eddies and Counter-tides, so as to render it dangerous to anchor there, except in good weather. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, Glebe Land, and Surplice fees, was £102.. 15..0. This Parish contains about 1500 acres of inclosed Land, and about 500 acres which are uninclosed. In the division of Glamorgan by the Norman Adventurers, this Lordship was given to Reginald Sili."  From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.


The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Mary

Extract from Rhossili parish records [also] noting burial of shipwrecked sailors, 1844/5   - on the People's Collection Wales site


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Rhossili area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Mary, is in the Benefice of Port Eynon with Rhosili with Llanddewi with Knelston, and diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS417881.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1641-1642, 1665-1807, 1813-1978 1665-1666, 1671-1970 1642, 1644-1645, 1665-1807, 1813-1911 1823-1937 1671-1672, 1677-1679, 1682-1683, 1685-1688, 1694, 1696-1697, 1700-1701, 1704, 1707-1708, 1710, 1712-1713, 1725, 1727, 1729-1731, 1733-1736, 1738-1790, 1794-1800, 1802-1803, 1805-1869, 1871-1882, 1885, 1887-1894, 1898
(All held at the NationalLibrary of Wales, Aberystwyth)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Rhossili Ecclesiastical Parish Records     " ...... Registers (including service and banns registers) 1641-1970; papers relating to church property (including church restoration) 1889-1926; Churchwardens' accounts 1889-1896."

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Rhossili which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Rhossili parish   as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Mary Greatorex)

  • Rhossili (34) Camp, Fall, Fernhill Top, Hillends Burrows, Kitchen Corner, Lifeguard Station, Mewslade Bay, Middleton, Old Castle, Pilton, Pitton, Pitton Cross, Rectory, Red Chamber, Rhossili, Sluxton, Sweone's Houses, Tears Point, The Beacon, The Knave, Thurba.
  • Worm's Head (34): Blow Hole Crabat, Devil's bridge, Inner Head, Low Neck

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis

Rhossili - on the Enjoy Gower site

Rhossili - on Wikipedia


Transcript of complete name listing for the Gower parishes, from Slaters Directory for 1880.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Rhossili has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Hillend
  • Middleton


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Edgar Evans was born at Middleton, Rhossili on the 7 March 1876. He attended St. Helen's Boys School in Vincent Street from the age of six until he was thirteen, before joining the Royal Navy in 1891 at the age of fifteen. He joined the National Antarctic Expedition between 1901-1904. The officer in command was Captain R. F. Scott who later invited Evans to join him on the British Antarctic Expedition to attempt to reach the South Pole (1910-1913). However they all perished on the return journey, with Evans the first to die. Edgar married Lois Beynon, daughter of William Beynon and niece of his mother, on 13 December 1904 at Rhossili Parish Church and had three children. There is a plaque in his memory in the Norman church at Rhossili."


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS417880 (Lat/Lon: 51.568546, -4.285518), Rhossili which are provided by:


The Population of Rhossili was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 339 1851 - 367 1861 - 294 1871 - 267 1881 - 332 1891 - 285

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Rhossili Parish and Community Council Records          "...... including minute books, 1943-1999; financial records, 1923-2000; correspondence, 1975-2001; tithe map and apportionment, 1847"


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Rhossili School Records     "School log books, 1882-1969."