"RHUDD DRE, in the Cwmwd of Senghenydd, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Caerphilly), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Chapel, not in charge, annexed to the Rectory of Bedwas: Patron, The Bishop of Llandaff, being holden with and annexed to the Bishoprick: Chapel dedicated to St. James. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 239. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £157..12..3. It is 7 m. N. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains about 800 acres of Land; one-third of which is uncultivated and uninclosed. Here is a mineral Spring, which is esteemed efficacious in the cure of sore Eyes. It is situate upon the river Rhymny: And is said to derive its Name from the great number of Red or Yew Trees that grow here."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
Here is a Congregational chapel Rev David Johns in 1895 and 'erected in 1794 with 300 seats' in 1910
Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 & 1910 - the Archive CD Books Cd
Rhydri Ind chapel, opened in 1794, closed pre 1992 My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.
Ebenezer Ind Erected in 1821 John Jones, Ind Minister, Rhudry (1851 Religious Census)
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (May 2009)
"RUDDRY (YR-YW-DRE), a parish in the hundred of CAERPHILLY, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (N. by E.) from Cardiff, containing 276 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the number of yew trees in the vicinity of the village, is pleasantly situated in a mountain valley in the eastern part of the county, and comprises but a small tract of land, of which a considerable portion is unenclosed and uncultivated. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in agricultural pursuits. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly varied, and enlivened by the river Romney, which forms the eastern boundary of the parish ; and from the higher grounds are some richly diversified views over the adjacent country, embracing a portion of the picturesque county of Monmouth. Lead-ore has been found in the white limestone of the parish. The living is consolidated with the rectory of Bedwas, in Monmouthshire, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The church, dedicated to St. James, is not remarkable for any architectural details. C. Edward Edmond, in 1743, bequeathed £2 per annum to the poor of this parish, which is regularly paid. Here is a mineral spring, which is said to be highly efficacious in curing diseases of the eye, and is much resorted to for that purpose. The poor are supported by an average annual expenditure amounting to £ 140. 4." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Dr William Price (Llantrisant) Papers 1697-1965 "William Price was born at Ty'n y Coedcae, the parish of Rudry, Glamorgan on 4 March 1800. He was the third son of the seven children of Rev. William Price and his wife Mary........................."
Rudry Civil Parish records "....... including tithe plan and apportionment, 1843; assistant overseers rate books, 1884-1926; assistant overseers receipt and payment book, 1925-1927; vestry and parish meeting minutes books, 1878-1905; parish council minutes books, 1894-1955; declarations of acceptance of office by parish councillors, 1894-1970; poor rate account book, 1913-1924; general account book, 1910-1967; Rudry village/parish hall committee minutes books, 1946-1970"