"ANDREW, ST., MINOR, in the Cwmwd of Maenor Glynn Ogwr, Crantref of
Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Ogmore), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales:
a Donative, not in charge, of the certified value of £5: Patron, George Wynch,
Esq.: The Chapel is in ruins. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801,
was 8. It is 4 m. S. W. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains about 450 acres
of land. It is a perfect Sine Cure: and only two families reside in the Parish.
The Stipend is £5. per annum, which is paid from the Estate of Mr. Wynch, called
Clemenston, and which is the Minister's whole subsistence. "
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811
|Description and Travel
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
Glamorgan Chapels Database - no non-conformist chapels found in this parish
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|No Parish Registers have been deposited|
"ANDREW'S (ST.) MINOR, a parish in the hundred of OGMORE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 4 1/2 miles (S. W.) from Cowbridge, containing 16 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its chapel to St. Andrew, and is distinguished by the adjunct Minor from the parish of St. Andrew, in the hundred of Dinas-Powis, in the same county. It is pleasantly situated in the great vale of Glamorgan, in the south-eastern portion of the county, and near the northern shore of the Bristol channel, distant only a few miles from the coast. It is of small extent, comprising only one estate, called Clementston, which is co-extensive with the parish, and is the property of T. Franklin, Esq. Clementston House, which has recently received considerable additions and improvements, and has undergone a course of thorough repair, for the residence of its proprietor, is a handsome, well-built mansion, pleasantly situated in grounds tastefully disposed. The living is a sinecure rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, and in the patronage of T. Franklin, Esq., of Clementston, who, as proprietor of that estate, pays to the minister a modus of £ 5. The church, which appears to have been originally built for the accommodation of the family and household at Clementston, is now in ruins." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Places, villages, farms etc within St Andrews Minor as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
|1841 - 18||1851 - 16||1861 - 12||1871 - 13||1881 - 14||1891 - 15|
St Andrews Minor
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996