GENUKI Home Page St Athan St Athan Eglwys Brewis Eglwys Brewis Gileston Gileston Llancarfan Llancarfan Penmark Penmark Contents Contents

St. Athan,
with the parishes and villages of Eglwys Brewis,
Gileston, Llancarfan and Penmark

From Slaters Commercial Directory, 1880.

Transcribed by Phil Mustoe

St. ATHAN is a parish and village 5 miles from Cowbridge, its post town, and 2 from the Bristol Channel, and in the Bridgend and Cowbridge union and county court district and diocese and archdeaconry of Llandaff, county of Glamorgan. The principal landowners are William C. Rayer, Esq. of Holcombe Court, Somerset (and who is lord of the manor), and J. S. Gibbon, Esq., Newton House, Llanbleddian. The church is dedicated to St. Athan. The living is a rectory in the patronage of the lord of the manor. The Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists have each a place of worship, and there is a school, conducted on the national plan, in connection with the church. Population in 1861, 357; in 1871, 388.

EGLWYS BREWIS is a very small parish, about 4 miles from Cowbridge, and in the same union. &c. as St. Athan. John Dillwyn Llewellyn, Esq. of Penllergare, near Swansea, is the principal landowner and lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to St. Bride. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the above gentleman. Population in 1861, 21, and in 1871, 15.

GILESTON is a small parish about 4 miles from Cowbridge, its post town, in the same union, &c. as St. Athan. The church is dedicated to St. Giles. The living is a rectory in the patronage of, and held by, the Rev. Frederick Francis Edwardes, B.A. and J.P. who is also lord of the manor and principal landowner. Population in 1861, 70, and in 1871, 49.

LLANCARFAN is an extensive parish and village about 5 miles S.E. from Cowbridge, its post town, and 9 from Cardiff, in the Hundred of Dinas Powis, Cardiff union and county court district. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners of Jesus College, Oxford, are the chief owners of the soil. The church is dedicated to St. Cattwg; the living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Crown. There are also chapels for Baptists, Independents, Wesleyans and Calvinistic Methodists; also a Board school. Populationin 1861, 688, and in 1871, 568.

PENMARK is an extensive parish and village about 6 miles from Cowbridge, its post town, and 10 from Cardiff, situated near the Bristol Channel. It is in the same union, &c. as Llancarfan. Robert Oliver Jones, Esq. who is lord of the manor, and Charles K. K. Tynte, Esq. are the chief landowners. The church is dedicated to St. Mark. The living is a vicarage in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter of Gloucester. There are also chapels for Independents and Calvinistic Methodists, and a National school. ABERTHAW is a hamlet and small port in the vicinity. Population in 1861, 525, and in 1871, 496

POST OFFICE, St. Athan, William Thomas, Post Master. - Letters from all parts arrive (from Cowbridge) at half-past nine morning, and are despatched thereto at half-past three afternoon

The nearest Money Order Office is at Llantwit Major

POST OFFICE, Llancarfan, William Lougher, Post Master. - Letters arrive (from Cowbridge) at half-past eight morning, and are despatched thereto at four afternoon
The nearest Money Order Office is at St. Nicholas

POST OFFICE, Penmark, John Alexander, Post Master. - Letters arrive (from Cowbridge) at nine morning, and are despatched thereto at half-past three afternoon
The nearest Money Order Office is at St. Nicholas


Gentry & Clergy

Edwardes Rev. Frederic Francis, B.A. and J.P., Gileston Manor
Hughes Rev. Alfred T. The Vicarage, Llancarfan
Jones Rev. Owen, Llancarfan
Jones Robert Oliver, Esq. J.P. and D.L., (stipendiary magistrate for Cardiff and chairman of quarter sessions), Fonmon Castle, Penmark
Morgan Rev. Hanmer, M.A., St. Athan
Wood Rev. C. F. B. M.A., The Vicarage, Penmark


Schools

Board School, Llancarfan - Arthur Wall, master
National School, Penmark - Miss Richards, mistress
National School, St. Athan - Martin Brown, master


Blacksmiths

Griffiths Morris, Llancarfan
Hopkin David, St. Athan
Hopkin Lewis, St. Athan
Hopkin Thomas, Penmark


Boot & Shoe Makers

Hammett Samuel, St. Athan
Jenkins William, Llancarfan
Lowther William, Llancarfan
Thomas Alexander, Penmark
Williams John, Gileston


Butchers

Bucknall William, St. Athan
Mazey William, Llancarfan


Carpenters and Wheelwrights

James William, Penmark
Price Thomas, Llancarfan
Thomas Thomas, St. Athan
Thomas William, Penmark


Farmers

In St. Athan Parish
Davies Timothy, St. Athan
Lougher David, St. Athan
Smith Morgan, West Farm
Thomas Edward, Aberthaw
Thomas John, New barn
Thomas Rees, Aberthaw
Williams John, Castleton
In Eglwys Brewis Parish
Davies David H., Eglwys Brewis
In Gileston Parish
Spencer Christopher, Gileston
In Llancarfan Parish
Bowen Jenkin, Pancross
Cherryton John, Llanbethery
David William, Curnix
Edwards David, Llanbethery
Griffiths David, Llanvithyn
Hopkins William, Llanvithyn
James James, Pennon
Jenkins Messrs. -, Cowcliff
Jenkins David J., Llancadle
Jenkins Thomas, Crostown
Jenkins William, Llanbethery
John Messrs. -, Pennon
John Edward, Witton Rosser
John John, Ford
John Nicholas, Middlecross
Jones Thomas, Whitwell
Lewis Edward, Leach Castle
Lewis Llewellyn, Walterstone
Lougher Evan, Treguff
Lougher John, Molton
Lougher Robert, Carnllwyd
Lougher William, Llanvithyn
Morgan Jane, Llancarfan
Morgan Thomas, Walterstone
Price Thomas, Llanbethery
Price William, Mardynewydd
Samuel William, Llanbethery
Thomas Edward, Llancadle
Thomas Evan, Broad Close
Thomas Richard, Flaxland
Yorath Evan, Molton

In Penmark Parish
Alexander John, Penmark
Bower Messrs., Penmark
James William, Fonmon
Jenkins Edward, Penmark place
John John, Welvort
Jones Thomas, Tredugon
Matthews Messrs. -, Fontygary
Morgan John, Aberthaw
Morgan Morgan, Rhoos
Savours Messrs. -, Rhoos
Savours John, Rhoos
Spencer Joseph, Fonmon
Thomas William, Aberthaw
Watts William, Penmark
Williams Isaac, Fonmon

Grocers and Dealers in Sundries

Alexander John, Penmark
David Evan, The Leys
Edwards Richard, Llancarfan
Howells Anne, St. Athan
Stevens Jane, St. Athan
Thomas William, Penmark


Inns & Public Houses

Aubrey Arms, William Lougher, Llancarfan
Four Bells, Wm. Bucknall, St. Athan
Fox & Hounds, David Price, Llancarfan
Horse Shoe, William Thomas, St. Athan
Ocean House, John Thomas, St. Athan
Old Post, Mrs. Powell, Llancarfan
Red Cow, Thomas Hopkin, Penmark
Rose & Crown, Matthew Jones, Penmark
Ship, Thomas John, The Leys
Six Bells, Edward Aubrey, Penmark
White Hall, Thomas Harry, Penmark

Millers

Liscombe Robert, Aberthaw
Price David, Llancarfan


Tailors

David Evan, The Leys
Griffiths William, Llancarfan


Miscellaneous

Jenkins William, haulier, St. Athan
Thomas John, shipowner, Ocean House, St. Athan

Places of Worship and their Ministers

Churches of the Establishment

Parish Churches
St. Athan - Rev. Hanmer Morgan, M.A., rector
Eglwys Brewis - Rev. Lewis Morgan, incumbent
Gileston - Rev. Frederick F. Edwardes, B.A., rector
Llancarfan - Rev. Alfred T. Hughes, vicar
Penmark - Rev. C. F. B. Wood, M.A., vicar

Dissenting Chapels
Baptist, Llancarfan and Aberthaw - Rev. Owen Jones
Independent, Llancarfan - Rev. Jas. Thomas
Independent, Penmark - Rev. William Lewis
Methodist (Calvinistic), St. Athan, Llancarfan and Penmark
Methodist (Wesleyan), St. Athan and Llancarfan


Conveyance by Railway

The nearest Station is at Cowbridge, on the Cowbridge and Llantrisant Railway, 5 miles from St. Athan


Carrier

To Cardiff, William Jenkins, from St. Athan, Saturday

Slaters Commercial Directory, St Athan, Glamorgan, 1880


[Last Updated : 19 Sept 2002 - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional