GENUKI Home Page St Brides MajorSt Brides Major Contents Contents

 St Brides Major

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This St Brides Major database compiled by Gareth Hicks

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Additional sources

 

Baptist

Horeb Welsh Baptist chapel, Ewenny Rd, St Brides Major

  • Horeb Welsh Baptist chapel, Ewenny Rd, St Brides Major        SS89477470             Still in use in 1999      (3)
  • There is a Baptist chapel   1895  (4)           and 1910  (5)

 

Congregationalist

(Ebenezer) Welsh Independent, St Brides Major

  • 1834, March 17; Independent; a meeting-house called Ebenezer; Edward Llewellin of the New House   (1)
  • Congregational chapel, St Bride's            Opened in 1834, closed pre 1992           (2)
  • Welsh Independent chapel, St Brides Major             Rev D Thomas       Slaters Directory for 1880

 

Methodist

Bryn Sion Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, St Brides Major
  • Bryn Sion Methodist Chapel Sunday School Outing to Porthcawl,1936    An index entry in the book St. Brides Major, Southerndown & Ogmore by Sea
  • NLW Archives - details of extant records; quote;
    "Bryn Sion Chapel was built in 1859. It was located in the Bridgend District of the Glamorgan Presbytery West. There is no entry for the Chapel in The Presbyterian Church of Wales Year Book after 1987.

Penylan Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, St Brides Major

  • Penylan Calvinistic Methodist, St Brides Major     Erected in 1828        David Yorwerth, Southerndown   1851  (6)
  • There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel     1895  (4)       and  1910  (5)           and Slaters Directory for 1880
  • There is a place of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists    A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis
  • 1820, October 27; Protestant (endorsed: Methodist); a meeting-house; Thomas Butler, yeoman   (1)

 

Other (inc un-identified)

 None

 

[Last Updated :  30 Jan 2006   -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.