"ST. BRIDE'S, in the Cwmwd of Uwch Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory, united to the Rectory of Michaelston super Elay. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 94. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £72..1..4, at 3s. 4 1/2d. per acre. It is 7 m. W. b. N. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains 434 acres of Land. It is situate near the river Elay." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
Glamorgan Chapels Database project - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish. Only one chapel has been found in this parish, details below;
Ebenezer Independent chapel, St Bride's super Ely. ST09777764. Built in 1834, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1851, 1862 and 1905. (From The Chapels Recording Project in Wales )
See under Cemeteries above for MIs.
Shown on the 1885 map on the old-maps site
Opened in 1834, closed pre 1992 (My Ancestors were Congregationalists in England and Wales, by D J H Clifford, SOG, 1992.)
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru(History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Steve Stephenson (Feb 2009)
The church is dedicated to St. Bride, and is in the Benefice of Peterston-super-Ely with St. Brides-super-Ely. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST097776.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1717-1901, Marriages, 1724-1837, Burials, 1717-1902.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
"BRIDES (ST.) SUPER ELY, a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 5 1/2 miles (W. N. W.) from Cardiff, containing 128 inhabitants. This parish, which is of very small extent, is situated on the banks of the river Ely, and near the vale of that name, the scenery of which is pleasingly varied. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with the rectory of Michaelston super Ely, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The church is dedicated to St. Mary. St. y Nill, the seat of --- Jenkins, Esq., is a large house situated within its limits, commanding a fine view over the Vale of Ely. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 62. 12." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) ) by Samuel Lewis
Transcript of name listing for Llandaff, with the parishes and villages of Caerau, Ely, Fairwater, Radyr, Llanilltern, St. Fagan's, Michaelston-super-Ely, and St Bride's-super-Ely from Slaters Directory for 1880.