We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Chapels - St Fagans

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This  St Fagans database compiled by Gareth Hicks

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available


  • 1.  The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • 2.   Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel, National Library of Wales journal,       Vol VIII/4, Winter 1954
  • 3.   Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 -  the Archive CD Books Cd
  • 4.   Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 -  the Archive CD Books Cd
  • 5.   Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1,        South Wales. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976

Additional sources


Baptist; the dwelling-house of Miles Llewellin
  • [St Fagans]  1822, March 22; Baptist; the dwelling-house of Miles Llewellin, farmer, being part of the estate of the Earl of Plymouth and called the Rock; the said Miles Llewellin, David Evans, Minister, William Edward  (2)


No Congregationalist chapels found here


Tabernacle Welsh Calvinistic Methodist
  • There is a CM chapel erected in 1837    1895  (3)              and   was rebuilt in 1900 at a cost of £450     1910   (4)
  • There is also a chapel for the Calvinistic Methodists                           Slaters Directory for 1880.
  • 1819, March 21; Protestant (endorsed: Welsh Methodist); a building called The Tabernacle being the property of William Evans, gentleman; Thomas Phillip, farmer   (2)
  • 1837, October 11; Welsh Calvinistic Methodist; a new chapel called the Tabernacle, being the property of the Hon. Robert Henry and Lady Harriet Clive; Thomas Phillip, farmer   (2)
  • Tabernacle Welsh CM                 Erected before the year 1780, removed in 1837 to the present chapel erected on another spot               Thomas Phillips, Secretary, Scuborfawr, St Ffagans               1851  (5)

Wesleyan Methodist chapel

  • Wesleyan Methodists                 Erected in 1822               Charles Tucker, Minister             1851  (5)


Other (or unidentified)

Protestant; the dwelling-house of John Morrall

  • [St Fagans]  1823, March 29; Protestant; the dwelling-house of John Morrall; William Baker of Cardiff, Preacher of the Gospel, the said John Morrall    (2)

Pen-Rhiw Unitarian chapel, Welsh Folk Museum, Castle Hill, St Fagans

  • Pen-Rhiw Unitarian chapel, Welsh Folk Museum, Castle Hill, St Fagans      ST1177      Built in [or converted] 1777. Mid 20th c moved to Welsh Folk Museum.  (1)
  • Pen-rhiw chapel originally stood in Dre-fach, Felindre, Carmarthenshire, but was re-erected at the Welsh Folk Museum (now the Museum of Welsh Life), St. Fagans in 1956. See the People's Collection Wales site

[Last Updated : 31 Jan 2006  -   Gareth Hicks]