|Glamorgan Contents Nearby Places|
"LYTHIAN'S, ST., in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now
called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged
Vicarage valued in the King's Books at £6..1..3: Patron, The Rev. Morgan Deere.
The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 72. The Money raised by
the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £54..0..8 1/2.
It is 6m. W. S.W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains about 1000 acres of Land,
all inclosed. Here is a Druidical Altar. According to the Diocesan Report, in
1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, and Glebe, was
From A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
|Description and Travel
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
Glamorgan Chapels Database- None found in this parish
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Bleiddian, and is in the Benefice of Wenvoe and St. Lythans. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST111729.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1724-1901, Marriages, 1724-1838, Burials, 1724-1901.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1750-1985||1748-1970||1749-1983||-||1724-1731, 1733-1735, 1737-1747, 1751-1757, 1759-1766, 1768-1837|
"LYTHAN'S, ST. (ST. LYTHIAN), a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (W. S. W.) from Cardiff, containing 103 inhabitants. It is situated on elevated ground, overlooking both sides of the Vale of Glamorgan, about a mile south of the turnpike road leading from Cardiff to Cowbridge : the common commands one of the most extensive, luxuriant, and diversified prospects in South Wales. The living is a discharged vicarage, endowed with the great tithes, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's books at £ 6. 1.3., and in the patronage of the Archdeacon of Llandaf. A school for all the poor children of this parish is supported by the Hon. Mrs. Grey, of Dyfryn House, an ancient mansion in the vicinity, formerly belonging to the Price family, the heiress of which conveyed it by marriage to the Greys. The sum of £ 10 was bequeathed by Mr. Thomas Williams, for the benefit of the poor. There is a cromlech on St. Lythan's common. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £60. 11." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Places, villages, farms etc within St Lythans parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)
|1841 - 110||1851 - 135||1861 - 136||1871 - 121||1881 - 81||1891 - 114|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996