|Glamorgan Contents Nearby Places|
"MARYCHURCH (ST.), a parish in the hundred of COWBRIDGE, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (S. S. E.) from Cowbridge, containing 150 inhabitants. This parish, which, from the dedication of its church to St. Mary, is by the Welsh called Eglwys Vair, comprises within its limits the remains of an ancient castle, to which is attached an old chapel, the porch and frontispiece exhibiting some fine specimens of architecture, though executed by a native nearly two centuries since. It is pleasantly situated in the south-eastern part of the county, on the right bank of the river Thaw, and comprehends a moderate extent of arable and pasture land, of which by far the greater portion is enclosed and in a good state of cultivation. The soil, of which the substratum is limestone, is in general fertile; and the inhabitants are chiefly employed in agriculture. The surrounding scenery is pleasingly wooded and richly diversified, and the adjacent country presents many features of rural and picturesque character. The living is a discharged rectory, with that of Llandoch annexed, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's hooks at £ 5. 6. 8., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Bute. The church is not remarkable for any architectural details. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £86. 8." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
|Description and Travel
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
Indexed transcriptions of monumental inscriptions at St Mary Church Churchyard, by Phil Mustoe.
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Mary's ChurchST. MARY CHURCH, St. Mary 1861-1862 - on Church plans online
St Mary Church
Glamorgan Chapels Database - here are references to non-conformist chapels/meeting houses found in this parish
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Mary, and is in the Benefice of Cowbridge Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference ST002716.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1584-1912, Marriages, 1577-1839, Burials, 1605-1985.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1584-1985||1577-1759, 1761-1839||1602-1985||-||1721, 1724-1727, 1729-1837|
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
Places, villages, farms etc within St Mary Church parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Glenys Travis)
Transcript of name listing for Cowbridge, and neighbouring parishes from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-
|1858-1859||(Slaters Directory)||1880||(Slaters Directory)|
The Population of St. Mary Church was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 154||1851 - 104||1861 - 119||1871 - 144||1881 - 97||1891 - 80|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
St Mary Church
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996