We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

St Nicholas

"NICHOLAS, ST., in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory valued in the King's Books at £11..10..0: Patron, The Hon.William Booth Grey. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 319. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £140..7..7, at 1s. 7d. per acre. It is 6 m. W. from Caerdiff. The Fairs, for horned Cattle and Sheep, are holden on the 19th of May, 21st of August, and 19th of December. This Parish contains about 1900 acres of cultivated Land, and about 100 acres of Underwood. It is situate on the Turnpike Road, between Caerdiff and Cowbridge. The present worthy Rector, The Rev. DAVID THOMAS, most obligingly adds, "There is an House adjoining the Church-yard, which is kept in repair at the expense of the Parish, and wherein poor People live: it appears to me, on its first Institution, to have been either a Chantry, or an Alms-house. At the distance of a quarter of a mile, in a Field on the South side of the Village, there is a very remarkable stone, measuring in length 24 Feet and in breadth 10 feet, erected on others about 6 feet high, and so constitutes a spacious Room: I judge it to be a Druidical Temple: it has a Mound raised round it, except in one place where you enter. On the North side of the Village, at an equal distance, there are the remains of a Roman Camp."-The Petty Sessions for the Hundred of Dinas Powys are holden here.   From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

An on-line index to the book St. Nicholas A Historical Survey of a Glamorganshire Parish, by Charles F. Shepherd [1934] has been provided by David Webb.

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Nicholas


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the St Nicholas area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Glamorgan Chapels Database - Here are  references to non-conformist chapels found in this parish;

  • Croes-y-parc, Baptist - See Church Records below and also under Peterston-super-Ely chapel database
  • Trehill CM chapel (Presbyterian Church), Tre-hill, St Nicholas     ST08637428    Built before 1800
    (The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW))
  • Trehill CM         Erected before 1800       Edward Jones, Elder  (Informant)       (1851 Religious census)
  • [St Nicholas]  1801, January 31; Methodist; a house called Freehill ? Meeting-House; William Frances, Thomas Watkins, Evan David, Thomas John, John Thomas 
    (Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth )
  • Trehil CM, St Nicholas      Extant records (Glamorgan Record Office )   and   Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc(under Vale of Glamorgan Collection)
  • There are also chapels for Calvinists and Welsh Baptists [latter must be Croes-y-parc]  
    (Slaters Directory 1880)
  • There are Baptist and CM chapels
    (Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - Archive CD Books Cd)
  • There is a CM  chapel in the village and a Baptist chapel at Croes-y-parc
    (Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - Archive CD Books Cd) 
  • Trehill St Nicholas English CM chapel    Chapel Lane, , St Nicholas, Morgannwg CF5 6SJ - still open in 2006 as per  The Presbyterian Church of Wales site

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Nicholas, and is in the Benefice of St. Nicholas with Bonvilston and St. George-super-Ely. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference  ST090743

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1724-1900, Marriages, 1724-1837, Burials, 1724-1902.


Anglican Parish Registers Held at The Glamorgan Record Office
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1762-1915 1755-1930 1762-1966 1824-1973 1724-1754, 1756-1837

 Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • St Nicholas Ecclesiastical Parish records       " ........ including registers of baptisms, 1762-1915; marriages, 1755-1812; banns, 1802-1973; burials, 1762-1966; licences, 1884; records relating to property, 1829-1850; churchwardens, 1876-1878, parochial church council, 1925-1960; vestry, 1800-1960; civil parish, 1792-1955; church affairs, 1890"


Non Conformist Registers Deposited


Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref


Croes-y-parc, Baptist

See under Peterston-super-Ely
chapel database

1801-1849 - - ST 07947583


NLW- The National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • St. Nicholas, St. Nicholas - Christenings (BT's), 1724-1871
  • St. Nicholas, Trehill Calvinistic Methodist - Christenings, 1823-1836

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of St Nicholas which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within St Nicholas parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • St Nicholas (145); Breach; Brook; Caia; Castle Mound; Cottrell; Croes-y-parc; Glyn Cor?; Homri; Long Barrow; St Nicholas (village); Standing Stone; Tinkinswood; Tre-Hill; Vianshill; Y Gaer

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

St Nicholas Castle - on Castle Wales


Transcript of complete name listing for St. Nicholas, with the parishes and villages of St. George's, St. Lythans, Peterstone-super-Ely, and Pendoylan, from Slaters Directory for 1880.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which St Nicholas has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Cottrell
  • Duffryn


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST090744 (Lat/Lon: 51.461185, -3.311308), St Nicholas which are provided by:


The Population of St Nicholas was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 425 1851 - 414 1861 - 354 1871 - 419 1881 - 349 1891 - 318

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • St Nicholas Civil Parish records         " ........ comprising copy of tithe plan and apportionment, 1838 [copied 1980]; assistant overseer's rate book, 1919-1925; assistant overseer's receipt and payment book, 1907-1927; parish council minutes book, 1894-1950; parish council receipt and payment books, 1920-1970"