Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Swansea

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Swansea

"A county and parliamentary borough at the mouth of the Tawe, and the second largest port and town in the county. It is supposed to have originated as a Scandinavian settlement, but its real history begins with the Norman castle built by the Earl of Warwick on his conquest of Gower. The ruins of this castle as reconstructed by Bishop Gower in 1330 stand in the centre of the town and show some Decorated arcading. The town itself occupies a fine situation on the shores of its bay, and the suburbs are spread over the adjoining hill side. In spite of its long history it has few antiquities. The chief public buildings are the Town Hall, Royal Institution, and Free Library. The church, though modern, has an ancient chapel attached. The local commerce is immense, and the town possesses some magnificent docks. It is the metropolis of the copper trade and owing to the number and variety of its smelting works it has been termed the metallurgical capital of the world. There are more than 150 furnaces for the treatment of different kinds of ores within four miles of the town. "  [From Samuel Lewis' Topographical Dictionary of Wales, 1838]

Swansea Parishes

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease are detailed below under Church Records

Archives and Libraries

  • Swansea Heritage.net - is a digitising project designed to aid access to the material evidence held in trust by Swansea Museum Service for the people of Swansea.
  • The South Wales Miners' Library
    1972-74: description of holdings
    [University of Swansea Library - Reference: chapter 3]
  • Swansea Library
  • See also under History, below

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

References to the town of Swansea at

An online index to the book Swansea - Reflections in Black and White, compiled by Bernard Mitchell [1983] has been provided by Roger McFenton

An online index to the book Jubilee Swansea - A town in the 1890's, by Gerald Gabb [1995] has been provided by Charlene Morgan

An online index to the book Jubilee Swansea II, by Gerald Gabb [1999] has been provided by Charlene Morgan

A summary of contents to the book Swansea, its Port and Trade and Development, by Alderman Edward Harris [1935], has been provided by Gareth Hicks

The smelting of copper in the Swansea district of South Wales, from the time of Elizabeth to the present day. Creator - Francis, George Grant, 1881.   The complete book is accessible on the Internet Archive site  (click on Texts and then search on Swansea)

Trollope, Glynden. (ed) The Cambrian, And General Weekly Advertiser For the Principality of Wales 1804 - 1930.   Indexed by Gareth Hicks

Cemeteries

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Crug Glas Calvinistic Methodist Church

Census

Anglican
All Souls, Sketty, Swansea
Holy Trinity, Sketty Park, Swansea
St Augustine, Brynmill, Swansea
St Gabriel, Brynmill, Swansea
St Hilary, Killay, Swansea
St Illtyd, Fforestfach, Swansea
St Luke, Cwmbwrla, Swansea
St Martin, Dunvant, Swansea
St Paul, Sketty, Swansea
Baptist
Bethany English Baptist Chapel, Waunarlwydd, Swansea
Bethesda Welsh Baptist Chapel, Swansea
Brynhyfryd Welsh Baptist Chapel, Landore, Swansea
Calfaria Welsh Baptist Chapel (2), Fforestfach, Swansea
Calfaria Welsh Baptist Chapel, Fforestfach, Swansea
Capel Gomer Welsh Baptist Chapel, Swansea
Eaton Road English Baptist Chapel, Swansea
Ebenezer Baptist Chapel, Swansea
Gorse Lane English Baptist Chapel (Rehoboth Pentecostal), Cockett, Swansea
Libanus Welsh Baptist Chapel, Cwmbwrla
Manselton Welsh Baptist Chapel, Manselton, Swansea
Memorial English Baptist Church, Swansea
Mount Calvary Baptist Chapel, Port Tennant, Swansea
Mount Calvary English Baptist Chapel, Manselton, Swansea
Mount Pleasant English Baptist Chapel, Swansea
Pant-Y-Gwydyr English Baptist Church, Uplands, Swansea
Siloam Baptist Chapel, Killay, Swansea
Sketty Baptist Church, Sketty, Swansea
Tabernacle Baptist Chapel, Swansea
Townhill Baptist Church, Townhill, Swansea
York Place English Baptist Chapel, Swansea
Zion Welsh Baptist Chapel, Waunarlwydd, Swansea
Congregational/Independent
Carmarthen Road Congregational Church, Swansea
Ebenezer Independent Chapel, Dunvant
Upper Killay Congregational Chapel, Upper Killay, Swansea
Cemeteries
Cwmgelli Cemetery Chapel, Swansea
Methodist
Babell Chapel, Cwmbwrla, Swansea
Bethel St John's English Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Manselton, Swansea
Brunswick English Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Swansea
Cruglas Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Hafod, Swansea
Dunvant Wesleyan Church, Dunvant, Swansea
Hafod Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Hafod, Swansea
Jerusalem Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Waunarlwydd, Swansea
Sketty Methodist Church, Sketty, Swansea
St Andrew's Methodist Chapel, Swansea
Terrace Road English Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Mount Pleasant, Swansea
Tontine Mission Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Swansea
Trinity Methodist Chapel, Sketty, Swansea
Wesley Mission English Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Swansea
Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Swansea
Wesleyan Methodist Church (Eaton Road Methodist), Manselton, Glandwr, Swansea
Wesleyan Methodist Church, Brynmill, Swansea
Wesleyan Methodist Church, Landore, Swansea
Roman Catholic
Our Lady of Lourdes, Townhill
St Joachim & St Anne, Dunvant
Other
(no dedication), Killay, Swansea
(no dedication), Swansea
(no dedication), Swansea
(no dedication), Ynysforgan
(unknown dedication), Swansea
Albert Hall Chapel (Gospel Mission), Swansea
Alexandra English Presbyterian Church, Swansea
All Saints, Swansea
Apostolic Church, Swansea
Argyle & Rhyddings Park Presbyterian Church, Uplands
Argyle English Presbyterian Church, Swansea
Bellevue Street, Swansea
Bethel Chapel, Sketty
Bethel Mission Chapel (Pentecostal), Glandwr, Manselton
Bethel URC, Sketty
Canaan Welsh Independent Chapel (Pentre-Chwyth), Swansea
Capel Sion Welsh Independent Chapel, Swansea
Castle Street English Independent Chapel, Swansea
Cefn Coed Hospital Chapel, Sketty
Cemetery Chapel, Danygraig
Cemetery Chapel, Danygraig
Chapel of St Thomas, Swansea
Chapel, Dunvant
Chapel, Port Tennant, Swansea
Christchurch (Garrison Church Of Swansea), Swansea
City Temple Elim Pentecostal Church, Swansea
Cockett Wood Park Chapel, Cockett
Congregational Church (Rhyddings United Reformed), Uplands ?
Congregational Church, Townhill
Countess Of Huntingdon (Burrows), Swansea
Cwmbwrla Independent Church, Cwmbwrla
Danygraig English Independent Chapel, Danygraig
Dunvant Christian Fellowship, Dunvant
Dunvant Gospel Hall, Dunvant
Ebenezer Gospel Hall, Cockett
Ebenezer Welsh Independent Chapel, Swansea
English Congregational Chapel / Manselton Unitarian Chapel, Swansea
Fabian's Bay English Independent Chapel, Swansea
Ffynone Synagogue, Swansea
Fleet Street English Independent Chapel (Sandfields), Swansea
Fleet Street Mission, Swansea
Forward Movement Church, St Thomas
Gendros English Congregational Chapel, Waunarlwydd
Goat Street (Bunker's Hill), Swansea
Godre Park Schoolroom, Swansea
Gorse Road Mission, Swansea
Gospel Hall Chapel, Fforestfach, Swansea
Gospel Hall, Swansea
Gower Road, Waunarlwydd, Cockett
Graig, Swansea
Greenhill, Swansea
Grove Place, Swansea
Hafod Mission, Swansea
Hafod, Hafod
Hall, Dunvant
Hall, Townhill
Hall, Uplands
Hebron, Swansea
Hen Gapel, Swansea
Henrietta Welsh Independent Chapel, Swansea
High Street English Unitarian Church, Swansea
Hill English Independent Chapel, Swansea
Holy Trinity Chapel, Swansea
Islamic Centre, Swansea
Jubilee, Swansea
Kingdom Hall (First Church Of Christ Scientist), Uplands
Manselton Gospel Hall Chapel (Philip Street Gospel Hall), Manselton, Swansea
Manselton, Manselton
Mission Hall (Gorse Mission), Swansea
Mission Room, Swansea
Morriston Cemetery And Crematorium, Swansea
Mount Tabor, Townhill ?
Mount Zion, Swansea
Old Quaker Meeting House, Swansea
Old Siloh English Congregational Chapel, Swansea
Orchard Street Chapel (Gospel Mission), Swansea
Oxford Street, Swansea
Park Llewelyn, Swansea
Parklands Evangelical Church, Sketty, Swansea
Pentregethin, Pentregethin
Presbytery at St David'S Priory Roman Catholic Church, Swansea
Quaker Meeting House (Friend'S Meeting House), Swansea
Rehoboth Pentecostal Church, Cockett
Richardson Street, Swansea
Sailor's Chapel, Swansea
Salem Old Bridge, Swansea
Salvation Army Citadel, Swansea
Sardis Independent Chapel, Waunarlwydd
Saron Congregational Chapel, Raven Hill
Seventh Day Adventist Church, Sketty
Sidney Street, Swansea
Siloam Independent Chapel, Landore
Siloam Welsh Independent Chapel, Pentre Estyll, Swansea
Sjomanns Kirken (Norwegian Church), Swansea
Society Of Friends, Swansea
South Dock Chapel; St Nicholas Seamen'S Church;Swansea Arts Workshop, Swansea
St Alban'S, Swansea
St Barnabas, Uplands
St David'S Priory Roman Catholic Church, Swansea
St Helens, Swansea
St Illtud, Danygraig
St James'S, Uplands
St John the Baptist, Hafod
St Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, Greenhill, Swansea
St Jude, Mount Pleasant
St Mark, Swansea
St Mary, Swansea
St Matthew, Swansea
St Michael & All Angels (Manselton Parish Church), Swansea
St Paul'S English Independent Chapel (Studio Cinema), Swansea
St Stephen, Danygraig
St Thomas, St Thomas
Strand Mission, Swansea
Tabernacle, Swansea
Tabernacle, Swansea
The Hall, Swansea
Tontine Street (Tabernacle), Swansea
Treboeth Gospel Hall, Treboeth, Swansea
Walter Road Congregational Church (Urc), Swansea
Wassail Square Mission, Swansea
Waunwen, Waunwen
Woodlands Church, Cockett
Zoar Welsh Independent Chapel, Swansea

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Swansea area or see them printed on a map.

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

Images and History of :  The Quaker Church

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

  • Registers for a number of non conformist denominations have been deposited at the National library, Public Record Office, Glamorgan Record Office and West Glamorgan Archive Service.
  •  
  • The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
    • Swansea, St. John - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1873
    • Swansea, St. Mary - Christenings, 1631-1706, 1813-1875, Marriages, 1813-1838
    • Swansea, St. Mary Tabernacle Wesleyan Methodist - Christenings, 1825-1837
    • Swansea, St. Mary Goat Street Wesleyan Methodist - Christenings, 1807-1837
    • Swansea, Castle Street Congregational or Independent - Christenings, 1836-1837
    • Swansea, High Street Presbyterian - Christenings, 1753-1785 & 1811-1837
    • Swansea, Mount Pleasant, Meeting House Particular Baptist - Births 1811-1837
    • Swansea, Trinity Calvinistic Methodist - Christenings, 1808-1837
    • Swansea, York Place, Particular Baptist - Births, 1801-1837
    • Swansea, On the Burrows, Countess of Huntingdon's - Christenings, 1791-1837

The People's Collection Wales site has much material for Swansea, use the onsite search box

Description and Travel

Descriptions of the parish from
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis and
A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.

The People's Collection Wales site has much material for Swansea, use the onsite search box

Swansea - on the Vision of Britain through time site

Swansea - on Wikipedia

You can see pictures of Swansea which are provided by:

Directories

Swansea and District Directory (5th ed.) 1913-14 - the complete book is accessible on the Internet Archive site  (click on Texts and then search on Swansea)

Transcript of name listing for Swansea, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-

 

1822-1823 (Pigots Directory) (23k) 1858-1859 (Slaters Directory) (133k)

 

From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923  (ArchiveCDBooks)  - transcribed by Gareth Hicks

  • PORT TENNANT is a hamlet about 1½ miles east from Swansea, in the east division of the parliamentary county borough. St. Stephen's, a chapel of ease to St. Thomas's and erected in 1907 at a cost of £3500, is an edifice of stone ... : there a sittings for 500 persons. There are also Baptist and Congregational chapels. There are copper and spelter works, and the Port Tennant canal extends from place to Neath, and Danygraig Cemetery is also here
  • DUNVANT is a hamlet 5½ miles west, with a station on the Gowerton and Swansea Bay section of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, partly in the county borough of Swansea and partly in the parish of Llanrhidian. St. Martin's church, in the parish of Sketty, erected in November, 1897, and intended for parts of Bishopston, Loughor, Llanrhidian and Sketty, is a structure of iron, seating 250 persons, and is licensed for marriages. There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1882, with a cemetery of about I acre adjoining.

Genealogy

The Bath family of Swansea. A leading family in Swansea's industrial history

Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

You can see the administrative areas in which Swansea has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Swansea to another place.

History

Neath & Swansea databases  contributed by Lyn Nunn;- Neath Inhabitants 1792 ; Neath Milita Roll 1789 ; Swansea Militia Roll 1789

Description and images of Swansea Castle at www.castlewales.com by Jeff Thomas

Swanseaheritage.net is a digitising project designed to aid access to the material evidence held in trust by Swansea Museum Service for the people of Swansea.

Royal Insititute of South Wales.  "For over 160 years, the Royal  Institute of South Wales has played a central role in promoting Swansea's history....."

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Lower Swansea Valley Project     1936-67       "The Lower Swansea Valley is sited to the East of Swansea city centre and runs along the valley floor and valley sides of the River Tawe. It was once an attractive valley but due to the local reserves of coal it started to attract the copper smelting industry in the early 18th century. The industry grew dramatically and other metal industries in turn were attracted to the valley, for example those of zinc, nickel, iron and steel and tinplate. However following steady decline, by the early 1960s almost all of the industrial activity in the valley had ceased and a landscape of industrial decay - derelict works and mills, spoil heaps and severe pollution was left behind. The Lower Swansea Valley Project was born out of the desire of Swansea Council and other interests after World War Two, to remove the industrial dereliction and pollution of the valley and return the area to active use. ................................................."
  • Swansea Statistical Survey Collection     1837-1839      "The Swansea Statistical Survey was established by the Committee of the Royal Institution of South Wales in 1838 to prepare a complete statistical survey and account of Swansea to be published in the annual report of the Royal Institute of 1839. The Statistical Committee also studied the coal trade, population and the weather amongst other things."
  •  The Swansea Tontine Association was a financial scheme by which subscribers to the common fund each received an annuity during their life which increased as the number of members diminished by death. This meant the last survivor enjoyed the whole income. The result of this scheme was the row of houses on Tontine Street situated at the top end of High Street, near St John's Parish church, Swansea"            1791-1792
  • Swansea Volunteers Collection         1801-1882      " ...... raised in 1796, with the specific responsibility to defend Swansea. At this date it was commanded by Captain John Beavan and other officers included Captain William Jones and Captain John Landeg. .......................The Corps was disbanded in 1802. However by 1859 the Government became increasingly aware of Britain's vulnerability to attack. It was decided to revive the Volunteer Movement. It was the responsibility of the Lord Lieutenant of each county to form the volunteer corp. C. R. M. Talbot the Lord Lieutenant of Glamorgan established the Local Volunteer Rifle Corp during 1859. George Grant Francis put forward the case for an artillery corps and took command of the 1st (Swansea) Corps, Glamorgan Artillery Volunteers in the same year"

 

Goodall, Peter.   For Whom the Bell Tolls.  Published by Gomer, site intro; "From its original location in Swansea Castle to its present home on a patch of land still known as Cox's Farm, Swansea Prison has had a long and colourful history. ............ Peter Gooodall charts the most dramatic moments in the history of the prison, and tells the stories behind the fifteen executions which took place there between 1858 and 1958. .......... this volume is packed with riveting tales of the crimes committed by Swansea's most wanted men, whose lives were brought to an abrupt and often emotional end at the gallows.......... "

Harris, Edward (Alderman). Swansea, its Port and Trade and their Development, 1935, published by Western Mail & Echo Ltd . Here are substantial extracts from this book, and other material contributed by Gareth Hicks. Here is also a separate Timeline based on the book

Land and Property

  • Calland family, landowners and industrialists: Lower Swansea Valley
    1836-1924: deeds relating to property in Lower Swansea Valley
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D. 218]
  • Grenfell family, Barons Desborough: Swansea
    1828-92: deeds and estate papers
    University of Swansea Library - Reference: Grenfell MSS]
  • Illtyd Thomas family of Swansea
    1781-1954: deeds, family and estate papers
    [University of Swansea Library]
  • Richardson family of Pantygwydr, Swansea and Glanbrydan Park, Carmarthenshire
    1776-1971: deeds, papers
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D/D SB 14]
  • Somerset family, Dukes of Beaufort, Swansea estate
    18th cent-20th cent: records
    [Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff]
  • Vivian estate
    16th-20th cent: deeds and rentals
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea]

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Singleton Abbey      "Singleton Abbey estate was the Swansea home of the Vivian family, originally from Cornwall but who came to Swansea after extending their copper concerns into South Wales during the early nineteenth century. The family established the company of Vivian and Sons who operated the Hafod and the White Rock Copper Works in the Lower Swansea Valley during the nineteenth century and early twentieth........................................."
    "Singleton estate weekly pay book, detailing payments on account of farm, garden, house, shooting etc. together with some weekly receipts 1882-1886; sheets giving weekly payments on account of farm, garden etc. 1884; records of deliveries from Singleton Farm to Abbey for weeks ending August 8th, August 15th and August 22nd 1884; record of deliveries from Singleton Farm on the stables account: for week ending August 22nd 1884."

The People's Collection Wales site has much material for Swansea, use the onsite search box

Maps

This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map

Map of the Contributory Borough of Swansea from the Report of the Boundary Commissioners for England and Wales. Printed by Eyre and Spottiswoode, London, 1885.

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS656930 (Lat/Lon: 51.619685, -3.942814), Swansea which are provided by:

Merchant Marine

The People's Collection Wales site has much material for Swansea, use the onsite search box

Swansea Mariners.  Bryan Richards's database of merchant seamen of Swansea registered ships

National Waterfront Museum

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Swansea Pilotage Authority Collection      1925-1951          "Prior to 1766 pilotage existed and was operated by fishermen and local seamen with special knowledge of the area. Bristol controlled all pilotage in the greater part of the Bristol Channel. Bristol exercised this power for pilotage into the ports of South Wales. Swansea obtained independent control in 1791 due to the Swansea Harbour Act. The Swansea Pilotage Authority was therefore formed in 1791. The Pilot House served the needs of Swansea's sea pilots for the greater part of the 20th century. Pilots have been working out of Swansea ever since sea trading routes were established in the early Middle Ages, although they were not properly established by committee until the Swansea Harbour Act, 1791."
  • H. M. Customs and Excise, Swansea, Records             "....... including collectors' books, 1934-1953; declarations of ownership of the ship Pioneer, 1965-1968; bonds for the performance of conditions and payment of duties by railway companies, 1851-1869; correspondence, 1864-1963."

Names, Personal

  • John Richard, architect and surveyor
    1892-1930: diaries and papers
    [National Library of Wales, Department of Manuscripts and Records]

Newspapers

The Cambrian was the first English language newspaper to be published in Wales running from 1804 - 1930. Swansea Library Service has a computerised index to the contents freely available to search online

  • Journal Company Limited, newspaper publishers
    1888-1986: articles of association, board and general meeting minutes, share certificate book
    [Enquiries to Business Archives Council, The Clove Building, 4 Maguire Street, Butler's Wharf, London SE1 2NQ]

Occupations

The People's Collection Wales site has much material for Swansea, use the onsite search box

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Rhondda and Swansea Bay Railway Co. Records            "Records, 1883-98, relating mainly to a case of alleged breach of contract between the Rhondda and Swansea Bay Railway Company and William Jones of Neath, building contractor. They include the records of the Rhondda and Swansea Bay Railway Company, 1878-1894, mainly financial; account books of William Jones of Neath, one of the contractors involved in building the Rhondda tunnel, 1884-1898, and papers relating to the breach of contract, 1884-1896, brought by William Jones against the company"
  • Central Wales Railway (Swansea-Shrewsbury), papers    1962-75       ".......... The Central Wales Railway was built between 1839 and 1868 by several different companies and later became part of the London and North Western Railway. It now forms part of the Heart of Wales Line between Shrewsbury and Swansea."
  • National Union of Mineworkers (South Wales Area): Swansea District         "Minutes 1917-1968; minutes and reports of joint meetings NCB/NUM 1947-1970 and undated; financial records 1924-1967; District Officers' Correspondence and Papers 1919-1975; correspondence with colliery managements 1905-1971; correspondence with Lodge Secretaries 1937-1975; compensation case-papers and correspondence 1924-1981"  
  • National Union of Vehicle Builders (Swansea Branch)   1938-1948      "The National Union of Vehicle Builders was first formed as the United Kingdom Society of Coachmakers in 1834. Prior to this date there were many small societies and unions for coachmakers throughout Britain. However, a strike in the 1830s by the Liverpool Coachmakers Society and the Manchester Coach Makers Society had shown how successfully the different societies could work together. This led to the creation of a single organisation, the Society of Coachmakers................................"
  •  Amalgamated Engineering Union, Swansea     1907-1939         "The Amalgamated Engineering Union was formed on 1 July 1920. ...................................."
  •  Amalgamated Society of Engineers, Swansea       1917-1925         "The Amalgamated Society of Engineers, Machinists, Smiths, Millwrights and Pattern-makers was formed in 1851 when a number of engineering unions decided to amalgamate. These included the Journeymen Steam Engine, Machine Makers and Millwrights Friendly Society (the 'Old Mechanics') and the Smiths' Benevolent Sick and Burial Society...................................."

Periodicals

Transactions of the Royal Institution of South Wales -  the Minerva was started in 1993 as an English language popular journal containing articles on historical and artistic topics related to the Swansea area.

Politics and Government

  • Mumbles and District Conservation Society, Swansea
    1971-1977: minutes
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D. 21]

Roberts, R O. Financial Crisis and the Swansea 'Branch Bank' of England, 1826 . National Library of Wales journal Vol XI/1 Summer 1959.

Poor Houses, Poor Law etc.

The People's Collection Wales site has much material for Swansea, use the onsite search box

Swansea Union Workhouse  - on Peter Higginbotham's site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Swansea Union Board of Guardians Records      1842-1960       "............ including minutes, 1849-1948; correspondence, 1859-1869; Master's records, 1842-1948; Chaplain's books, 1854-1888; workhouse administration records, 1836-1948; financial records, 1866-1950; inmate registers and records, 1858-1954; valuation lists, 1863-1931; Cockett Cottage Homes records, 1878-1950; County Borough of Swansea Social Welfare and Public Assistance Departments records, 1941-1948; Workshops for the Blind records, 1940-1960; Swansea Rural Sanitary Authority records, 1874-1901; plans of public assistance institutions, 1860-1939."

Postal and Shipping Guides

  • Swansea shipping registers
    1825-1954: registers
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea]

Probate Records

Swansea Wills Index: 1564-1858 (Index Of Original Testators Will/Abstracts St Davids Diocese), provided by R James.

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Swansea Borough Police Force records             "..... 1874-1971, including: reports and special reports of the Chief Constable to the Watch Committee, 1879-1929; annual reports to the Licensing Committee, 1962-1967; Police Federation of England and Wales, minutes of branch boards, 1928-1969; general orders, 1921-1963; Swansea Borough Council, treasurer's accounts, 1914-1919; list of cases to be heard at the Swansea Borough Police Court, 1874, 1876; occurence books, 1959, 1965-1968; lost and found property books, 1962-1965; counterfoils of certificates issued to police on leaving Swansea Borough Police Force, 1942-1959, 1966-1969; Swansea war reserve, disciplinary book, 1940-1947; and personnel files prior to 1969 (unlisted)."
  • Swansea Constabulary Records       " ........... established in 1836. The Borough, and from 1889 County Borough, of Swansea retained its own constabulary until 1969, when it combined with several other forces to form the South Wales Constabulary"
    ".......... comprising Chief Constable's annual reports, 1933-1969; typescript of Seven tall men: the history of the County Borough of Swansea Constabulary by M. L. Sinnott, [1989]."
  • City and County of Swansea Electoral Registers Records         1997-2003
  • City and County of Swansea, Planning Department, Miscellaneous Records    1748-1998   
  • County Borough of Swansea Children's Committee, records     " ........... , comprising adoption registers, 1945-1974; indexes of Swansea adoption orders, 1949-1966."
  • County Borough (from 1969, City) of Swansea Borough Engineer and Surveyor           c.1924-1987  
  • Estates Department of the County Borough/ City of Swansea records and correspondence     1822-1986             
  • Rate books for Swansea Borough             "Rate books for Swansea Borough and parts of neighbouring authorities, 1845-1975, comprising poor rate books for the Town and Franchise of Swansea, 1845-1904; rate books for individual parishes, 1882-1918, including poor rate books, 1882-1917, borough rate books, 1892-1894, water rental books, 1911-1918, special expenses rate books, 1886-1905, and joint poor and special expenses rate books, 1907-1918; Oystermouth UDC general district rate books, 1898-1908, and poor and general district rate books, 1909-1917.............................................."
  • Swansea City Council Records               "........ including electoral registers, 1975-1996."
  • Swansea Corporation property title deeds     1706-1854      "The ancient borough of Swansea consisted of Burgesses.The borough was made autonomous from the surrounding county of Glamorgan in 1889 and became a county borough. In 1969 the borough was granted city status. Following local government reorganisation in 1974 boroughs and county boroughs ceased to exit. Swansea retained the title of City.In September 1835, Swansea's old corporation was replaced by a new municipal corporation"
  • Swansea Corporation records catalogue         "Borough charters, 1234-1836; Common hall books and council minute books, 1547-1852; financial and estate records, 1530-1857, comprising of Common Attorney's account books 1617-1762; estate rentals and account books 1802-1857; Borough and church lease book 1530-1787; leases 1737/8-1835; vouchers 1764-1824; church and poor law records 1558-1836, including account books and rate books 1558-1842; Poor house minute book 1788-1793; House of Industry vouchers 1821-1836; settlement certificates and bonds 1636-1719, and apprenticeship indentures 1625-1709. Also paving and lighting records 1809-1850; Swansea Grammar School education records, 1813-1894; ........................................."
  • Swansea Corporation Water Works Records       1899-1979
  • Swansea County Borough Council Valuation Lists       1899-1934  
  • Records of Swansea Brecon and Carmarthen Prisons      "............. comprising nominal registers, 1884-1952, Governor's journal, 1929-1938, calendars of prisoners tried at Quarter Sessions and Assizes, 1856-1903, Visiting Committee minutes, 1912-1931, Prison rules and orders, [n. d.]; Brecon Prison nominal registers, 1879-1915, and registers of previous convictions, [1914]; Carmarthen Prison nominal registers, 1879-1922."

Religion and Religious Life

  • Church of England Mens Society: Swansea and district
    1910-23: minutes, accounts, correspondents
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: Swansea Library 446-457]
  • Swansea Gospel Mission
    1872-1908: records including minutes
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea]

Schools

The University of Wales, Swansea

The People's Collection Wales site has much material for Swansea, use the onsite search box

A Certificate issued by Hafod Copper Works School  indicates that ............ " was examined by 'H.M. Inspector' and passed in the Seventh Standard on March 8th 1889 - it is signed by John Carr, Head Master. The certificate is about 29.5 cm length x 23 cm wide and has a floral design around the border

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • University of Wales Swansea Records    1921-80              "The University College of Wales, Swansea is now known as the University of Wales Swansea. The College received its charter on 21 January 1920. In 1921, Henry Lewis became Professor of Welsh Language and Literature. For further administrative information consult The University of Wales, 1839-1939 (1997) by J. Gwynn Williams."
  • Bishop Gore School/ Swansea Grammar School Records        " .......... including minutes, 1888-1894; school magazines, 1932, 1940-1955, 1973; commemorative and promotional material, 1897-1969, including papers relating to the school's 250th anniversary, 1932"  
  • Brynmill School, records       " .......... opened in September 1896. Brynmill Secondary Modern closed in about 1969."
    ".......... comprising a log book (girls), 1896-1969; admission registers, 1910-1969; papers relating to the closure of the secondary modern school, 1969-1970; correspondence and photographs relating to the school honours boards, 2000."
  • Brynhyfryd School, Swansea, Records     "..........attendance registers (infants), 1980-1981"       "...... Brynhyfryd Junior School is located on Llangyfelach Road, Brynhyfryd"  
  • Christ Church School, Swansea, records     " ......... Christ Church School, Sandfields, Swansea, Glamorgan, was established in 1861 as an infants school. It became Christchurch Voluntary Aided Primary School in 1999."
    ".......... comprising log books, 1864-1922; brochure outlining the school's history, [1992"
  • Craig-y-Nos School, Swansea   1921-1956         "Craig-y-Nos Preparatory School, Sketty Road, Swansea. The records largely date from the period when J.E. and J.P Lloyd were joint owners of the school, in the mid-twentieth century."  
  • Cwmbwrla School, records                 "...... opened in 1875 but closed again in 1877 pending the completion of a new school building. It reopened in 1879."
    " .......... log books, 1875-1925"
  • De la Beche Girls School/ Swansea Municipal Secondary School for Girls, records    "       " ............ comprising a log book and attendance register, 1928-1942; copies of The Dragon school magazine, 1933-1940"  
  • Dyfatty School, Swansea, records        " .... opened in 1875. The school buildings were destroyed by enemy action in February 1941. A nursery school was opened in 1969 but became part of the infants school in 1974."                    "............ including log books, 1875-1974; managers' minutes, 1974-1979; admission registers, 1881-1979; admission and transfer forms, 1970-1979; medical and other reports, 1971-1977; order books, 1968-1978; petty cash books, 1972-1979; telephone call records, 1976-1979; records relating to school meals, 1974-1979; records relating to buildings and furniture, [c. 1970]-1979; map of school catchment areas, [c. 1970]; circulars and reports, 1970-[1975]."  
  • Dynevor School, Swansea, records                "........... began as a higher grade elementary school in Trinity Place in 1883, transferring to new premises in Dynevor Place in 1894. In 1907 it became the Swansea Municipal Secondary School for Boys. The buildings were extended in 1929 but were extensively damaged during the 1941 Blitz. From 1944 to 1971 the school was known as Dynevor Grammar School, then became a senior comprehensive. ................................"
    "............ including admission registers, 1900-1982; attendance registers, 1907-1946; financial records, 1893-1954; certificates, 1899-1979; papers relating to school examinations, 1912-1944; school magazines, 1940-1979; newspaper cuttings and scrapbooks, 1897-[1990s]; plans, 1929, 1957; photographs of staff, pupils, sports teams, events, school buildings, school trips and other subjects, [1910s]-[1990s]; programmes and ephemera, 1935-1983; former pupils' journals, 2002-2003; correspondence concerning Dynevor School Roll of Honour, 2000; Swansea High School for Girls [Llwyn-y-Bryn Girls School?] certificates, 1939-1945, and photographs, [late 1960s]."
  • Gendros School, records            ".......... opened in 1898 as Gendros Board School. From 1929 the school catered specifically for senior girls and junior mixed pupils, with a separate infants school. In 1949 the senior girls became a separate school based at the former Cwmbwrla Boys' School"
    "......... comprising log books (senior girls to 1949 only), 1898-1995; admission registers (mixed and infants), 1912-1981"
  • Glanmor Central School, Swansea                 " Log Book  1922-1930."  
  • Glanmor Grammar School for Girls, Swansea, Records               "......... was located on Glanmor Hill, Swansea, Glamorgan, except for the duration of the Second World War when its buildings were requisitioned by the Army."
    "............. comprising school magazines, 1947-1972; programmes for school concerts, plays and eisteddfodau, 1930-1965; plans of a proposed elementary school for girls at Glanmor, 1914."
  • Gors School,[infants] Cockett, Records             "........ log book (infants), 1920-1927"  
  • Hafod School, Swansea, Records         " .......... in the parish of St John's, Swansea, Glamorgan, opened in about 1863 as Hafod Copperworks School. It is now Hafod Primary School"
    ".......... comprising log books, 1863-1980; admission registers, 1876-1965."  
  • Oxford Street School, Swansea, records        ".......... opened in about 1863, was originally a school for boys, girls and infants. The infants department closed in 1932 and the boys and girls departments became senior schools. It was closed temporarily in 1940, owing to the outbreak of war, and reopened in 1947 as a secondary modern school"
    "........... comprising log books, 1863-1940; admission registers, 1873-1906; summary attendance registers, 1900-1936; correspondence, 1923-1940; photographs of school opening after rebuilding, 1910; copy of The early history of the National Schools, Oxford Street Swansea by Duncan John Webber, 2000."
  • Parklands [primary]School, Sketty, Records          "............ comprising log books, 1981-1992; admission registers, 1976-1988."  
  • Rutland Street School, Swansea     "..... boys' log books, 1883-1937"
    "............. an elementary school originally for boys, girls and infants. The boys' department closed in 1937."
  • Sketty School                   " ......... was an elementary school located in Sketty"       "History of Sketty School by Betty Walker, 1998"
  • St Helen's School [primary], Swansea, Records         "............comprising log books, 1874-1969; admission registers, 1940-1969; attendance register, 1971."
  • Swansea Parochial School, log books         1863-1928     " ....... established in about 1863"
  • Plans of Schools in the Swansea Area            "Plans, 1877-1957, relating to Brynhyfryd Boys' School and Girls' Infants School, 1903-1955, Brynmill Infants' School, 1894-1914, Brynmill School, 1915-1955, Cadle Primary School, 1909-1949, Cwm School, 1877-1950, Cwmbwrla Boys' School and Girls' Infants School, 1898-1955, Cwmbwrla Girls' and Infants' Schools, 1913-1914, Cwmrhydyceirw Temporary School, 1925, Danygraig Infants' and Junior Schools, 1911-1954, Dunvant Secondary and Infants' Schools, 1909-1936, Dyfatty Elementary School, 1897-1923, Gendros Schools, 1909-1954, Graig School, Morriston, 1912-1939, Mayals Primary School, 1954-1957, Townhill School, 1923-1925, and Ynystawe School, 1919."
  • Terrace Road School, Swansea, records        "........... located in the Townhill area of Swansea. The school began in 1881 as Town Hill Board School. It reopened in new premises on Terrace Road in 1888. It was renamed Terrace Road School in 1898, when it was refurbished to accommodate a further 500 pupils in addition to the existing 600. Terrace Road was a mixed school until 1901, when separate boys and girls departments were created. From 1895 it also had a separate infants' school. It returned to being a mixed school in 1947. By 2004 Terrace Road Primary School had about 300 pupils"
    " ..... comprising log books, 1881-2000; admission registers, 1893-1991; attendance registers, 1967-1970; albums of class photographs, 1958-1968; albums of general photographs, 1959-1972; photographs and other records mainly relating to a hundredth birthday exhibition in 1988, 1881-1988"
  • Three Crosses School, records    "... log books, 1875-1963. "          "..........an elementary school in the village of Three Crosses, Swansea, Glamorgan. It was later known as Crwys School."
  • Tirdeunaw School, records    " ..... log books, 1864-1959; women's evening school log book, 1894-1910"           " ......... began as a mixed school. It became a junior mixed school in 1948 following a reorganisation, with senior pupils being transferred to other local schools. A women's evening school was opened in the infants schoolroom in 1894 and taught reading, writing, arithmetic, needlework and cookery."  
  • Townhill School, records    ".......... comprising log books, 1923-1979; admission registers, 1927-1974; attendance registers, 1971-1973, 1977; photographs, 1938-1977; plans, [1927]; Swansea Schools Athletic Sports Championship shield with plaque, 1900-1939"       
    "......... opened in 1923 as a mixed and infants school. It reopened in new premises in 1927 as separate boys, girls and infants classes. The boys school became a secondary school in 1947, as part of a reorganisation, and then a junior comprehensive in 1970. A nursery school was opened in 1941 as a result of the bombing of Nelson Terrace Nursery School."
  • Treboeth School, records                 "Treboeth School infants department log book, 1878-1903"  
  • Waun Wen Schools Records      " ......... comprising log books, 1873-1970 (Carmarthen Road Boys School, 1873-1875); admission registers, 1902-1972; History of Waun Wen Schools, 1875-1975, by W. K. Crabbe, [1975]."         
    ".......... opened in 1875. It succeeded an earlier school, known as Carmarthen Road Boys School. The school's headmaster from 1974 to 1982 was W. K. Crabbe. Waun Wen Primary School is now located in Lion Street, Waun Wen"
  •  Waunarlwydd School, Waunarlwydd         " ...... including log books, 1864-1981; HMI reports, 1948-1959; ephemera, 1964-1969; copies of The Graphic illustrated newspaper, 1883."
      " .........opened as a British school in 1864, in a building in Swansea Road. A separate infants department was established in 1883. This merged with the junior school once again in 1967 to form a primary school. A new school building in Brithwen Road was opened in 1969"
  • York Place, later Vetch Field School, records  "........log books, 1872-1925."               ".............. originally situated in York Place, Swansea. It moved to temporary premises at the Vetch Field in 1914. The senior girls classes were further moved to premises in the Bible Christian schoolroom after Vetch Field was damaged by fire in 1919. The school finally closed in 1925 when the Vetch Field was transferred back to Swansea Football Club"

Social life and Customs

  • Southend Hotel, Mumbles
    1924-1952: visitors book
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: Swansea Library 459]
  • Swansea Festival 1948-1993: administrative records including minutes and correspondents, programmes and press-cuttings
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D. 59]

The People's Collection Wales site has much material for Swansea, use the onsite search box

Cule, John. Some Early Hospitals in Wales and the Border. National Library of Wales journal. 1977, Winter Volume XX/2. The article contains a detailed reference commencing with;- 
"On the site of the Hospital of the Blessed David, Swansea, Glamorgan there stands a hostelry known as the Cross Keys Inn. Henry de Gower's Charter of Foundation and Endowment of his hospital at Swansea, dated 1332 A.D., established here a hospital for blind, decrepit or infirm priests and other poor men............"

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Cwmdonkin Shelter, Swansea was established in 1887. The shelter's objective was to provide temporary shelter for friendless women and girls in Swansea and to offer protection to those in vulnerable positions and exposed to potential danger. The women who were admitted were sent on to suitable homes if necessary for the long-term, or had suitable positions found for them. Others were enabled to return to their communities. Women of any religious denomination were accepted into the shelter at any time of day or night. The shelter originated in a house in Cwmdonkin Park which was let to the shelter by Swansea Corporation at a nominal rent. However due to the distance from the city centre and the expense of maintaining the premises the shelter moved to Clifton Hill in 1921 and again at a later date to Heathfield. From May 1967 Cwmdonkin Shelter was known as Cwmdonkin House."

Societies

  • Swansea Literary and Scientific Society
    1844-1921: records
    [Enquiries to Business Archives Council, The Clove Building, 4 Maguire Street, Butler's Wharf, London SE1 2NQ - Reference: no 432]
  • Swansea Medical Society
    1879-92: minute books, accounts and papers
    [University of Swansea Library - Reference: p150]
  • Swansea Metallurgical Society
    1919-59: minute books, accounts and papers
    [University of Swansea Library, Swansea - Reference: pp150-51]
  • Swansea Orpheus Choral and Orchestral Society
    1929-1936: minutes
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: Swansea Library 1086]
  • Swansea Scientific and Field Naturalist Society (formerly Literary and Scientific Society)
    1844-1956: records
    [Enquiries to Business Archives Council, The Clove Building, 4 Maguire Street, Butler's Wharf, London SE1 2NQ - Reference: no 432]
  • Swansea Shiplovers Society
    19th cent - 20th cent: memorabilia
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D/D SB]
  • Swansea Theatre Tontine Society
    1805-1891: minutes, accounts, papers
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: Swansea Library (Mansel Collection 623-716)]

Town Records

  • Swansea Harbour Trust
    • 1854-1920: parliamentary papers, engineers' reports, pilotage records, contracts, historical files etc
      [Public Record Office, Kew, London - Reference: RAIL 1057]
    • 1893-1923, nd: share registers
      [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D/D PRO/BRB/84-110, 127]
    • 1908-1910: warrant book
      [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D. 195]
  • Swansea Turnpike Trust
    • records n.d.
      [Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff]
    • 1825-1833: correspondents, vouchers, wages ledger
      [Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff - Reference: CL/BUTE XVII]