We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
St. Nicholas, Townhill
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
The current parish status from the Church in Wales site is; -
The parish of Swansea St Nicholas [S437] is in the benefice of Swansea St Nicholas which is in the deanery of Swansea. The parish is also known as Townhill. The parish has a PCC, its status is historic, and the preferment is Vicar.
The description from the Church in Wales Diocese site is;-
The first St. Nicholas in Swansea was built in 1886 down by the docks as a mission church to the seafarers of that time. (It was closed in the 1920's but still exists as a building near the present Leisure Centre.)
The first church on Townhill was built as a mission church from the adjacent parish of St. Judes. This church is adjacent to the present church and now serves as the Church Hall.
It was made into a separate parish in 1937 - see St. Nicholas-on-the-hill, Townhill .
The present St. Nicholas was built with the aid of compensation given to the Church in Wales for Holy Trinity church destroyed in the blitz on Swansea in 1941. The Church registers date from 1924
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
- St Nicholas (Seamen's Mission, Gloucester Place) ecclesiastical parish records "Church opened 1865 as a mission to seamen at the South Dock, in St Mary's parish. Taken over by St Mary's parish 1907; closed c. 1920"
"Registers (including service and banns registers) 1886-1920; licence 1865; accounts 1919-1920; Vestry minutes 1907-1919"
St. Nicholas, Townhill [Last Updated : 6 Dec 2007 - Gareth Hicks]