We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"WHITCHURCH, in the Cwmwd of Senghenydd, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Caerphilly), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Chapel, not in charge, to the Vicarage of Llandaff: Patrons, The Chapter of Llandaff: Chapel dedicated to St. Mary. The Resident Population of this Parish, in l801, was 696. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £370.. l0..6. It is 4 m. N. b. W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains 2500 acres of Land: and a part of Caerdiff Heath has been allotted to it, under a late Inclosure. It produces very fine Corn. There are some very extensive Tin-Plate works at Melin Grufydd, which formerly made great exports to Spain. The Canal to Merthyr Tudfyl passes through the Parish. The Chapel is a decent Building, and is now (in 1810) undergoing a thorough repair. See, Llandaff." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

Find a Grave - photographs of the grave headstones in St. Mary's Church (by Russ Davies)

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Mary (including new churchyard)


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Whitchurch area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

Images and History of :

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Mary, is in the Benefice of Whitchurch, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST154800.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1718-1933, Marriages, 1732-1837, Burials, 1717-1838.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1732-1766, 1778-1938 1732-1758, 1813-1929 1732-1766, 1777-1932 - 1717, 1724, 1732, 1734-1748, 1750-1751, 1754-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Whitchurch Ecclesiastical Parish records           " ......... including registers of baptisms, 1732-1913; marriages, 1732-1929; burials, 1732-1932; and preachers book, 1914-1922"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref
Tabernacle, Calvinistic Methodist 1944-1951 1944-1946 1914-1917, 1944-1951 ST 15657986

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Whitchurch which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Whitchurch parish   as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Whitchurch (130); Birchgrove; Briwnant; Castle Mound; Cem.; Coed-y-Wenallt; Forest; Golf Course; Graig; Greenhill; Greenmeadow; Gwaun-tre-Oda; GWR; Llandaff North; Lock; Mental Hospital; Mill; New Ho.; Reservoir; Rhubina; Rhyd-waedllyd; Tongwynlais (village); Ty-isaf; Weir; Whitchurch

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

Whitchurch & Llandaff North. An interesting website about the people and places (past and present) of Whitchurch & Llandaff North

Whitchurch - on Wikipedia


Transcript of complete name listing for Whitchurch, with the parishes and villages of Lisvane, Llanishen, Pentyrch, Tongwynlais, Taff's Well and Walnut Tree Bridge, from Slaters Directory for 1880.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Whitchurch has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish


The Manor of Whitchurch - from Cardiff Records, Volume II, Chapter I  NOTES ON THE MANORS OF THE CARDIFF DISTRICT . (British History Online)


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST154800 (Lat/Lon: 51.512521, -3.220550), Whitchurch which are provided by:

Military History

The Whitchurch Memorial on the Whitchurch & Llandaff site


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Melingriffith Iron and Tinplate Works records    1770-1970      "The iron forge at Melingriffith, in Whitchurch, Cardiff, Glamorgan, was first established in the 1750s near an old water-mill. By 1760, it had attracted the attention of the Bristol firm of Reynolds, Getley & Co., Quakers, who leased it from the Lewis family, of the Van (or Y Fan), Caerphilly, Glamorgan, for 200 years, at £80 per annum, and quickly transformed it into a prosperous tinplate works, important enough to appear on Yates' map of Glamorgan, of 1799. The works managers for five generations were members of the Vaughan family, originally, from Gloucestershire, including Joseph Vaughan (1736-1796); and his brother, John Vaughan (d. 1806), who was manager at Machen forge, Gelliwastad. The grandson of Joseph, Thomas Vaughan (d. 1814), subsequently emigrated to Philadelphia, America, in 1790. At the start of the 19th century, the Melingriffith Tinplate Works passed to another Bristol Quaker family, the Harfords, who worked it in conjunction with their partners, Partridge and Blakemore. In 1879, the company became bankrupt and was forced to close. It was reopened in 1888, and in April 1939, the assets passed to Richard Thomas & Co. ............................................"


The Population of Whitchurch was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 1,376 1851 - 1,661 1861 - 2,274 1871 - 2,722 1881 - 2,752 1891 - 3,322

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Whitchurch Civil Parish records              " .......... comprising poor and highway rate books, 1880-1883; assistant overseers rate books, 1884-1926; parish council letter book, 1916-1918; parish council clerk's petty cash book, 1913-1915; parish council clerk's receipt and payment book, 1895-1909; assistant overseers receipt and payment books, 1902-1927; assistant overseers valuation lists, 1892-1910; parish council minutes books, 1895-1940; parish council rough minutes books, 1913-1938; parish council letter books, 1896-1927; miscellaneous records, 1778-1973; financial records, 1909-1962; records regarding allotments, 1915-1968; records regarding burials, 1930-1943; library accounts and minutes, 1918-1943; record regarding public lighting, 1930-1942; copy of tithe plan and apportionment, c1840 [copied 1980"  
  • Whitchurch Hospital, Cardiff records   1905-93              "Cardiff City Mental Hospital was opened in 1908 by Cardiff County Borough Council. In 1948 the hospital was re-named Whitchurch Hospital ........................................................................ Whitchurch Hospital was used as the site of the Welsh Metropolitan War Hospital 1915-1919 and as the Cardiff Royal Infirmary War Emergency Hospital, Whitchurch, 1940-1945."


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Whitchurch School Board records    "Photograph of Whitchurch School Board, 1903."  
  • Whitchurch Senior Mixed/Secondary Modern High School records          "....comprising of log books, 1959-1967; Accounts books, 1979-1981"
    "Whitchurch Senior Mixed school was opened in June 1939 at Glan-y-nant, Whitchurch. . .................................."