"CLYDACH VALE is a township forming part of the Urban District of Rhondda, 1 mile west of Tonypandy. The church of St. Thomas, built in 1894-5, at a cost of £3,000, and enlarged in 1912 at a further cost of £1200 is for English services only: it is a building of stone in the late Gothic style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, transept, organ chamber and vestry: the church will seat 650 persons. The register dates from the year 1907. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £300, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, and held since 1921 by the Rev. Thomas Jones M.A. of Durham University, who resides at Blaenclydach. The church of St. Dyfrig for Welsh services has sittings for 280 persons. There are also Welsh Baptist and Welsh Congregational chapels. ...The population in 1911 was 10,669." [Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The church is dedicated to St. Thomas, is in the Benefice of Tonypandy with Clyach Vale, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS982930.
Anglican Parish Registers
No Registers have been deposited yet
Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Cambrian Colliery, Clydach Vale 1927-1965 "Cambrian Colliery was situated in Clydach Vale,Rhondda. The No. 1 Pit was sunk by the Cambrian Colliery Company in 1872 and was followed by the No. 2 Pit in 1874 and the No.3 Pit between May 1889-June 1891. In 1895, the company became a public limited company, and was renamed Cambrian Collieries Ltd. Despite this initial success, the company suffered a major disaster in 1905 when 31 miners were killed at the colliery. In 1906, the company chairman, David Alfred Thomas (later Lord Rhondda), devised a plan to link the Rhondda coal companies to form the 'Cambrian Combine'. This allowed each of the companies to work and operate individually but provided a method were they could work together in order to regulate prices and wages in the coalfield. Members of the Combine included the Cambrian, Glamorgan, Naval and Britannic Merthyr Companies.........................................."
J. Evans (Blaenclydach) "Cambrian Colliery price list (photocopy) 1902"