"YSTRADDYVODOG, otherwise YSTRADDYVODWG, (YSTRAD-DYVODWG), a parish, divided for the maintenance of its poor into the two hamlets of Ystraddyvodog and Rhigos, in the hundred of MISKIN, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 8 miles (N. W. by N.) from Llantrissent, containing 1047 inhabitants.
The scenery in this neighbourhood is singularly wild and romantic : the mountains, which are very lofty, frequently rise abruptly, and almost perpendicularly, from the level ground, and present an unbroken face to the summit, so as to have obtained the designation of the " Alps of Glamorgan." The roads are very indifferent, and frequently prevent tourists from penetrating into these secluded and romantic scenes.
The Dinas collieries are situated in the vicinity, whence a communication is formed by tram-roads with the Glamorganshire canal.
This parish is within the jurisdiction of the court of requests held at Merthyr-Tydvil, on the second Thursday in every month, pursuant to an act passed in 1809, for the recovery of debts not exceeding £5.
The living is a perpetual curacy, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, endowed with £ 600 royal bounty, and £ 800 parliamentary grant, and in the patronage of the Vicar of Llantrissent, to whom the vicarial tithes of the parish are appropriated. The church is dedicated to St. Tyvodwg, and is situated in a valley of the same name, nearly in the centre of the parish. There is a place of worship for Baptists.
The average annual expenditure of the whole parish, for the support of the poor, amounts to £383. 18., of which Sum, £279. 18. are assessed upon the hamlet of Ystraddyvodog.
YSTRADDYVODOG HORNE, a hamlet in the parish of YSTRADDYVODOG, hundred of MISKIN, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, containing, with Clydach, 322 inhabitants.
YSTRAD (MIDDLE), a hamlet in the parish of YSTRADDYFODOG, hundred of MISKIN, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, containing 220 inhabitants.
RHIGOS (RHEGOES), a hamlet in the parish of YSTRADDYVODOG, hundred of MISKIN, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 1/2 miles (W.) from MerthyrTydvil, containing 505 inhabitants, the population having increased about thirty per cent. since the census of 1821.
It is situated on the border of Brecknockshire, near the Hirwaun iron-works, and on the road from Neath to Merthyr-Tydvil. Hirwaun common is a high and extensive tract to the west of this place, and contains some coal - pits, from which tram - roads proceed to the Hirwaun works in Brecknockshire.
A separate assessment is made for the maintenance of the poor, the average annual expenditure amounting to £ 104."