The church is dedicated to St. Peter, is in the Benefice of Pentre St. Peter, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS969962.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Non Conformist Registers Deposited
OS Map Ref
Nazareth, Calvinistic Methodist
GRO - Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff NLW - National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Transcript of complete name listing for Treherbert and Ystrad-Rhondda, with the parish and hamlets of Ystradyfodwg, Blaen-y-cwm, Blaen-y-Rhondda, Cwmdare, Cwmpark, Llwynpia, Pen-y-graig, Penyrenglyn, Pentre, Ton-pentre-ystrad, Ton-y-pandy, Treorky, Tynewydd and Tynybedw, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
You can see the administrative areas in which Pentre has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Records of Cory Brothers and Company Ltd. 1888-1943 "Richard Cory (1799-1882) of Devon, was the owner of a small vessel which traded between Cardiff, Bristol and Ireland in the early part of the 19th century. In 1838 he opened a ship's chandler store in Cardiff. By 1856 Richard Cory was joined by his sons, John (1828-1910) and Richard (1830-1914), and traded as Richard Cory and Sons. They described themselves as ship-brokers, ship-owners, coal merchants and exporters. Three years later, when Richard Cory retired, John and Richard renamed the business Cory Brothers and Co. It became a limited liability company in 1888, at which point the minute books start.John and Richard Cory became coal owners in their own right with the purchase of Pentre colliery in the Rhondda in 1868. Gelli, Tynybedw and Tydraw collieries were later acquired, also several collieries in adjoining valleys......................................"
Pentre, Secondary school, Pentre records " ...... was erected in 1903 as Pentre Higher Elementary school in the township of Pentre, which formed part of the Urban District Council of Rhondda. The Elementary school was converted into a Secondary school in 1914 and originally accomodated 300 mixed pupils"
"............comprising of log book, 1942-1970"