"TON PENTRE is a township forming part of the Urban District of Rhondda, on the western side of the river Rhondda, separated from Pentre and Ystrad Rhondda by a bridge; it adjoins Ystrad station, which is 8 miles from Pontypridd. The church of St. David was erected in 1881 at a cost of £6000, by the late Crawshay Bailey esq. and consecrated as a parish church in 1920. It is an edifice chiefly in the Early Gothic style, ... : a stained glass memorial window and tablet, to the men of the township who fell in the Great War, was erected in 1922, and unveiled by the Bishop of Llandaff: there are 550 sittings. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £260, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ... A new building has been erected for the Sunday school and for Mission services. The Maindy and Eastern Workmen's Hall and Library in Church road, erected by the workmen of Maindy and Eastern pits (Ocean Collieries), was opened in 1895, at a cost of £8000, and the hall which was erected in 1900 is used as a picture and variety theatre. There are 2,000 members. Maindy Hall, a fine mansion of stone, standing on an eminence, is the residence of Percie George Smith esq. The inhabitants are chiefly engaged in the Ocean, Gelli and other collieries." [Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks
The church of St. John at Ton Pentre, erected in 1893-4 in place of the ancient church, then removed, is an edifice of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel with side chapel, two naves, south porch, and a western turret containing 2 bells: in the church is a brass table to the Rev. William Rhys, a former Vicar of the parish, erected by his sons: the communion cup bears the date 1695; there are 450 sittings. A room for the Sunday school and mission has been erected in the churchyard. The register dates from the year 1717. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £340, with residence, and held since 1922 by the Rev. John Daniel Hughes M.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter, and surrogate.
Transcript of complete name listing for Treherbert and Ystrad-Rhondda, with the parish and hamlets of Ystradyfodwg, Blaen-y-cwm, Blaen-y-Rhondda, Cwmdare, Cwmpark, Llwynpia, Pen-y-graig, Penyrenglyn, Pentre, Ton-pentre-ystrad, Ton-y-pandy, Treorky, Tynewydd and Tynybedw, from Slaters Directory for 1880.