"TONYPANDY, the central township, is in the ecclesiastical parish of Llwynypia, with a station on the Great Western railway, and is 6 miles north-west from Pontypridd and three-quarters of a mile south of Llwynypia station on the Rhondda branch of the Great Western railway. St. David's church here is for Welsh services, which are held on Sundays at 8 and 11 a.m. and 6 p.m. The Wesleyan Central Hall was erected in 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) at a cost of £30,000. The Judges' Hall, the gift of Lieut.- Col. Sir Rhys Williams bart, D.S.O., K.C., D.L., J.P. was opened in 1909 by H.R.H. Princess Louise. It contains a concert hall, seating 1,500 persons, besides a library and billiard room." [Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The church is dedicated to St. Andrew, is in the Benefice of Tonypandy with Clydach Vale, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS993928.
Anglican Parish Registers
No Registers have been deposited yet
Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Transcript of complete name listing for Treherbert and Ystrad-Rhondda, with the parish and hamlets of Ystradyfodwg, Blaen-y-cwm, Blaen-y-Rhondda, Cwmdare, Cwmpark, Llwynpia, Pen-y-graig, Penyrenglyn, Pentre, Ton-pentre-ystrad, Ton-y-pandy, Treorky, Tynewydd and Tynybedw, from Slaters Directory for 1880.
Extract From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks
"YNYSCYNON is a township forming part of the Urban District of Rhondda, on the eastern side of Rhondda valley, 7 miles, north-west from Pontypridd and about a quarter of a mile from Llwynypia station on the Rhondda branch of the Great Western railway. It was formed into a separate ecclesiastical parish on Jan. 3rd 1922 from the parish of St. Andrew, Tonypandy. The church of St. Cynon, erected in 1922 at a cost of £3000 is built in the North French Gothic style, with Byzantine windows, and has sittings for 450 persons. The living is a vicarage with Sherwood, net yearly value £250 in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board Patronage, and held since 1923 by the Rev. Thomas James Meredith Morris L.Th. of Durham University and L.Div. The parish hall, erected in 1904 at a cost of £400, has seating accommodation for 265 persons"
Tonypandy Comprehensive School records 1978-2000 "............ was established in 1978. It was originally known as Mid Rhondda Comprehensive school but was renamed in 1982. The school was created through the merger of several other local schools, being Tonypandy Grammar, Tonypandy Secondary, Blaenclydach Secondary Modern and Bodringallt Secondary Modern. ......................" "........... comprising of admission registers, 1978-1991; log book, 1978-2000; upper school admission registers, 1979-1990"
Tonypandy Grammar school records "........... comprising of admissions registers, 1945-1978"
"Tonypandy Secondary school was built in 1915, and opened its doors to its first pupils in 1916. It was a mixed school. It ceased to exist in 1978" ".............. comprising of admission registers, 1916-1947; past students register, 1915-1926; staff register, 1915-1950; printed reports of inspections and examinations, 1933-1948; log books, 1915-1978"