Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
A Merionethshire Bibliography
Books of General Interest for Family Historians
It is acknowledged that the principal source of the details of books etc included on these pages is the online catalogues of the National Library of Wales
- Edwards, J Berwyn. Bertrand Russell (1872-1970) : active retirement in Merioneth. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 11 (1991), p. 230-3
- Gibson, J.S.W. and Medlycott, M.T. Local Census Listings 1522-1930 (2nd ed.), Birmingham, Fed. of Fam. Hist. Soc. (1994) 52 pp. [ISBN 1-872094-75-9]. Extracted are details of local censuses in Wales, listed by county
- Jones, Harry Longueville. History of Cymmer Abbey, Merionethshire. London : W. Pickering, 1851. 18p
- Passmore, Susan Campbell. The Rev. William Wynne of Lasynys : an eighteenth century Merioneth cleric. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 12 (1996), p. 241-62
- Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The MER section of these books (in Welsh) has being extracted - some with translations
- Ifans, Dafydd [ed]. Cofrestri Anghydfurol Cymru/ Nonconformist Registers of Wales. Aberystwyth, 1994. This book includes Ordnance Survey references for listed chapels.
- Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales. Cardiff, 1976.
- MacDonald, R W. The Parish Registers of Wales, National Library of Wales journal. 1976, Winter. Volume XIX/4
- Williams, C.J. and Watts-Williams, J. Cofrestri Plwyf Cymru: Parish Registers of Wales (National Index of Parish Registers, Vol. 13).Aberystwyth: National Library of Wales, Second edition, 2000.
A description of Merionethshire. London : Printed for Newbury and Carnan, 1769. Extract from "A description of England and Wales ... " 1769.
An accurate account and description of Dolgelley and Caernarvon : the lofty mountains of Cader Idris and Snowdon, and other romantic sceneries in the counties of Merioneth and Caernarvon, with the principal inns, roads, &c. also an itinerary of roads, &c. Dolgelley : Gomerian Press, printed and sold by R. Jones, [1829?] 108p
Beauties of England & Wales; North Wales reproduced on Cd by Archive CD Books. Describes the county, its history & antiquities, and places in great detail. It also contains some exquisite engravings of towns and churches, etc.
Beecham's photo-folio of Barmouth and Merionethshire. St.Helens : Thomas Beecham, [ca.1897?] 24p
- Cathrall, William. A guide through North Wales; including Anglesey, Caernarvonshire, Denbighshire, Flintshire, Merionethshire, and Mongomeryshire; with the adjacent borders, completing the basin of the River Dee, and the upper basin of the Severn, as far as Shrewsbury. Designed to accompany the ordnance maps. London, E. Stanford, 1860. 334p
- Gresham, Colin A. Archbishop Baldwin's journey through Merioneth in 1188. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 10 (1987/88), p. 186-204
- Jadis, Henry Fenton. Journal of a pedestrian tour in North Wales : through the counties of Montgomery, Merioneth, Caernarvon, and part of Denbigh. London : W. Glindon, pr., 1826. 172p
- Jennett, Sean. North Wales : Flint, Denbighshire, Caernarvonshire, Merioneth and Anglesey. London : Darton, Longman and Todd, . 121p
- Madden, Lionel. Beauteous Meirion : Thomas Love Peacock and Merioneth, 1810-31. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 10 (1987/88), p. 227-40
Merioneth official county guide. Gloucester : British Publishing, . 96p
- Peel, J. H. B. North Wales and Anglesey. Letts motor tour guides. London : Charles Letts & Co. Ltd, 1969. 64p
- Rees, Vyvyan. Mid Western Wales : Cardiganshire and Merioneth. London : Faber & Faber, 1971. 147p
- Smith, J Beverley. Parishes and townships in medieval Merioneth. History of Merioneth. Volume II, The Middle Ages, p. 717-726
The Cambrian tourist guide and companion, containing a concise account and description of North Wales : chiefly in the Counties of Merioneth and Caernarvon: with their various curiosities, antiquities, mountains, lakes, waterfalls, towns, principal inns, rodas, &c. Dolgelley : Printed & Sold by Richard Jones, 1847. 152p. [and 1825]
The nature of North Wales : the wildlife and ecology of Gwynedd and Clwyd incorporating the original counties of Anglesey, Caernarfon, Merioneth, Denbigh and Flint. Buckingham : Barracuda Books, 1989. 183p
Victorian and Edwardian Wales from old photographs. Introduction and commentary by E D Jones. Batsford 1972. Here is a brief introduction and an index of the 154 photographs.
- Sutton, Alfred. Sutton' s directory of North Wales comprising the counties of Anglesey, Carnarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Merioneth, and Montgomery, and the City of Chester. Manchester : Looney & Pilling, Letterpress and Lithographic Printers, [1890?]
- Worrall, John. Worrall's directory of North Wales : comprising the counties of Anglesey, Carnarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Merioneth, and Montgomery, with Chester, Shrewsbury, Oswestry, and Aberystwyth. Oldham : John Worrall, 1874.
- Pigot's Directories 1822-3 of North Wales, South Wales and Monmouthshire
- Pigot's Directory 1828/29 of North Wales
- Pigot's Directory 1835 of North Wales
- Pigot's Directory 1844 of North Wales
- Slater's Directory 1895 of North & Mid Wales
Slaters Directory 1858-1859 of North and South Wales
- Lloyd, Lewis. Merioneth and Australia : some historical connections. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 10 (1989), p. 306-24
- Griffith, John Edwards. Pedigrees of Anglesey and Carnarvonshire families : with their collateral branches in Denbighshire, Meirionethshire and other parts. Wrexham : Bridge Books, . 3rd ed. 410p
- Kirkby Wynn Cato, Miles. A perfect patriarch : William Nanney-Wynn : a life in Georgian Merioneth. [London] : Miles K. Wynn Cato, 1993. 106p
- Kirkby Wynn Cato, Miles. Old blood of Merioneth : a short history of the Nanney-Wynn family and their estates over ten centuries. [London] : Miles K. Wynn Cato, 1989. 93p
- Beverley Smith, J. & Ll. History of Merioneth. Vol 2, 2001
- Breese, Edward. Kalendars of Gwynedd : or, Chronological lists of lords-lieutenant, custodes rotulorum, sheriffs, and knights of the shire, for the counties of Anglesey, Caernarvon, and Merioneth, and of the members for the boroughs of Caernarvon and Beaumaris. To which are added lists of the lords presidents of Wales and the constables of the castles of Beaumaris, Caernarvon, Conway, and Harlech. London : J. C. Hotten, 1873. 161p
- Carr, Antony D. The extent of Merioneth. History of Merioneth. Volume II, The Middle Ages, p. 702-716
- Cathrall, William. The history of North Wales : comprising a topographical description of the several counties of Anglesey, Caernarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Merioneth, and Montgomery; To which is prefixed, A review of the history of Britain, from the Roman period to the Saxon heptarchy, interspersed with notes biographical and explanatory. Manchester : Printed by J. Gleave and sons, 1828. 2 vols
- Davies, Robert R. A medieval Merioneth album : troi dalennau'r gorffennol. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 13/1 (1998), p. 1-18
- Morris, A. Merionethshire. Cambridge : University press, 1913. 166p
- Sylvester, Dorothy. A history of Gwynedd : (Anglesey, Caernarvonshire, Merioneth). Chichester : Phillimore, 1983. 144p
The Merioneth lay subsidy roll 1292-3. Cardiff : University of Wales Press, 1976. 136p
- Trimmer, Joshua. The fourth report of the Secretary to the Society for Investigating the Natural History and Antiquities of the counties of Anglesey, Caernarvon, and Merioneth : with a list of the Members for the Year 1836-7. Caernarvon, Printed by James Rees, 1836. 12p
- Jervis, John Sir. Reprint of report of Mr (afterwards Sir John) Jervis on the crown rights in Merionethshire. Carnarvon : Printed by W. Gwenlyn Evans, [1838?]. 56p
- Campbell-Jones, Susan. Welsh Sail. Gomer 1976. Here is an index by Mary Jane Stephenson
- Heaton , P.M. Welsh Shipping - Forgotten Fleets, 1989. Biographical details restricted mainly to owners & managers, and details of ships owned. Here is an index by David Webb
- Lloyd, Lewis. Sails on the Mawddach : the account books of David Evans, boatman. Harlech : L. Lloyd, c1981. 48p
- Lloyd, Lewis. Merioneth associations of the brig 'Atalanta' of Caernarfon, 1864-1891. Maritime Wales = Cymru a'r MÃÂ´r 10 (1986), p. 76-88
- Jones, Ivor W. The Royal Welch Fusiliers in Merioneth and Montgomery. Blaenau Ffestiniog : Llechwedd Slate Caverns, 1994. 8p
- Retallack, John . The Welsh Guards Foreword by H R H The Prince if Wales.Published (1981) by Frederick Warne (Publishers) Ltd. London. Here is an index by Allen Powell
- Colyer, Richard. The Welsh Cattle Drovers (1976). Here is a contents listing/introduction and an index by Catherine Davies-Shiel. Re-issued in 2002 by Landmark Publishing Co, with revisions, now p192.
Colyer, Richard. Welsh Cattle Drovers in the Nineteenth Century - 1/2/3 National Library of Wales journal. 1972, Winter Volume XVII/4 & 1974 Volume XVIII/3 & 1975 Volume XIX/1
Colyer, R. J. Moore. Further References to the Welsh Cattle Trade. National Library of Wales journal. Volume XXV/3 Summer, 1988. Extract of this article by Bill Griffith-Jones 2002
Cronicl o hanes cryno = The Merionethshire Farmer. Dolgellau?] : Undeb yr Amaethwyr, Cangen Meirion, 1950-. Bi-monthly
- Davies, Walter ( Gwallter Mechain). General view of the agriculture and domestic economy of North Wales : containing the counties of Anglesey, Caernarvon, Denbigh, Flint, Meirionydd, Montgomery. Drawn up and published by order of the Board of Agriculture and Internal Improvement. London : Printed for Richard Phillips; sold by Poole & Broster, Chester; Painter, Wrexham; Eddowes & Wood, Shrewsbury; and by all other booksellers; by B. McMillan, 1810. 510p
- Foster, Clement le Neve Sir. Manganese mining in Merionethshire. (London : [18??] Printed by Spottiswoode and Co.)
- Hall, George W. The gold mines of Merioneth : or, Gweithfeydd aur Meirionydd. Kington : Griffin, . 99p
- Hughes, A Lloyd. Bootmaking and repairing in a Merioneth village. Medel 2 (1985), p. 5-8
- Jones, J. Geological facts and observations : with hints for the improvement of the interior of the Principality of Wales; originally addressed to the editor of The Times, and published under the signature of "J.J., 75, Charlotte Street, Fitzroy Square, London", in February last : with additional particulars and information by the same author, relating to the ancient mines, and rich mineral discoveries, (now neglected,) in the interior of North Wales; and to the practicalibity of working them so as to combine local philanthropy with national profit; and also as connected with improvements in agriculture and education, in the counties of Merioneth, Montgomery, Radnor, and Cardigan. London : published for the author by E. Burrows, 1831. 38p
- Parry, John. The gold of Merionethshire : comprising the history of the various veins, their present state, and their future prospects. Dolgelly : printed and on sale by Owen Rees, 1931. 25 leaves.
- Rees, Eiluned. The Merioneth book-trade, 1761-1820. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 11/1 (1990), p. 49-58
Report of the Departmental Committee upon Merionethshire Slate Mines : with appendices. Great Britain. Home Office. Departmental Committee on Merionethshire Slate Mines. London : Printed for H. M. Stat. Off. by Eyre and Spottiswoode, 1895. 165p
- Roberts, Gomer. Atgofion amaethwr [Recollections of a farmer]. [Bala] : Merioneth Historical and Record Society, . 75p
County of Merioneth, October, 1909 : list of justices. 1909. 13p
- Jones, J Gwynfor. Law and order in Merioneth after the Acts of Union, 1536-43. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 10 (1986), p. 119-41
The Sheriffs of Carnarvonshire and Merionethshire : Carnarvon municipal affairs; penalties against bribery, corruption, intimidation, or coercion, at municipal elections. Carnarvon : Printed by Josiah Thomas Jones, [18--?]. 12p
Report of the proceedings of the fifteenth annual Poor Law Conference for the North Wales District, comprising Flint, Denbigh, Carnarvon, Anglesey, Montgomery, and Merioneth, held at Wrexham ... 20th and 21st September 1899. London : P.S. King and Son, 1899.
- Evans, W Gareth. The centenary of the Welsh Intermediate and Technical Education Act 1889 and the location of intermediate schools in Merioneth : a triumph for local democracy or a misguided multiplication? Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 10 (1989), p. 325-46
- Evans, W Gareth. T. E. Ellis, M.P., and the Welsh Intermediate and Technical Education Act 1889 in Merioneth Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 11/1 (1990), p. 98-121
- Evans, W Gareth. Merioneth and the 'Treachery of the Blue Books', 1847. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 12 (1997), p. 348-65
- Jones, Gareth Elwyn. The 'Welsh Revolt' revisited: Merionethshire and Montgomeryshire in default. (NLW's site) Welsh History Review 14
- Merioneth Records - School Log Books placed on deposit in the National Library of Wales. J ournal of Merionethshire Historical Society Vol I 1949-51 pages 126-131 (Some if not all of the logs themselves have since been moved to the Merioneth Archives at Dolgellau )
Returns and report [on the Education Act, 1902, in the County of Merioneth]. Conwy : Printed by R. E. Jones, 1903. 146p
- Carr, Antony D. The coroner in fourteenth-century Merioneth. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 11 (1992), p. 247-54
- Clarke, Simone. Visions of community : Elizabeth Baker and late eighteenth-century Merioneth. Women and gender in early modern Wales, p. 234-258.
- Jones, G Penrhyn. Cholera in Wales. National Library of Wales journal Vol X/3 Summer 1958.
- Jones, Gareth Elwyn. The 'Welsh Revolt' revisited : Merioneth and Montgomeryshire in default. Welsh History Review 14 (1989), p. 417-38
- Jones, Richard (Medical Officer of Health). County of Merioneth 1906 : vital statistics and 14th annual report. Portmadoc : Printed by Lloyd Brothers, Cambrian Printing Works, [1906?] 80p
- Peate, Iorwerth C. The Welsh House A Study in Folk Culture First published in 1940, reprinted by Llanerch Publishers, Felinfach in 2000. ISBN 1 86143 112 0. Here is a review and listing of Contents, Illustrations, Figures and houses/sites mentioned, from the 1940 edition.
Reports on results of Sunday closing of public houses in Wales, collected and published by the executive committee of the Merionethshire Temperance Conference, 1885. Blaenau Festiniog : Printed by Jones and Roberts, [1886?]. 38p
- Scourfield , Elfyn . Welsh Rural Life in Photographs. Barry, 1979. Here is an index by Jill Smith