|Merionethshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"GWYDDELWERN, a parish in the hundred of Edernion, county Merioneth, 2 miles N. of Corwen. The parish, which is of large extent, is situated on a branch of the river Alwen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £138, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Bruno. The charities produce about £30 per annum, including the endowment of Roberts's school." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
An Elizabethan broadside in the Welsh language, being a brief granted in 1591 to Sion Salisburi of Gwyddelwern, Merionethshire . [Oxford] : [Richard Ellis], 1904. 4p
Survey of several estates in the parishes of Gwyddelwern, Llangar and Llanfor in the county of Merioneth also tenement in the parish of Llanfihangel in the county of Denbigh: Adjoining landowners named on plans. Colour denotes land use.Terrier details acreages, field names, and tenants.By an unidentified surveyor; the same as Vol. 76 (Pale Estate). 1801
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Cynwyd, Bethania, Particular Baptists
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 9127 acres; Population 849 males, 811 females, total 1660
This church was in Merioneth until 1974, Clwyd until 1996 and now in Denbighshire.
Clwyd FHS site - photograph of St Beuno Church, Gwyddelwern
Denbighshire Churches Survey site - Church of St Bueno, Gwyddelwern
Early British Kingdoms site - St Beuno Gasulsych (died AD 640)
Gwyddelwern - on Wikipedia
St Asaph Notitiae (names of heads of households c 1681) for the parish of Gwyddelwern - on the NLW's Digital Mirror site CYNWYD, St. John the Evangelist 1854-1856 - on the Church plans online site (Shown as in Llangar parish although Kain/Oliver shows it is in a detached part of Gwyddelwern parish)
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Cynwyd section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Maureen Saycell (Feb 2011)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date