"LLANDANWG, a parish in the hundred of Ardudwy, county Merioneth, 2 miles S. of Harlech, its post town, and 13 N.W. of Dolgelly. It is situated on the western coast, close to the mouth of the small river Artro. The parish, which is hilly, includes the township of Harlech. The soil generally is barren and wild. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacy of Llanbedr, £194, in the patronage of the bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Tanwg, stands close to the shore, but is now in a very ruinous state. There is a school, founded by one Ellis, with an endowment of £13 per annum." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Haines, Gwen. The old church : [Llandanwg]. Country Quest 26/5 (1985), p. 37
Wynne, Ellis. Dauganmlwyddiant Ellis Wynne : llawlyfr y dathliad yn eglwysi Llanfair a Llandanwg, ac yng ngholeg Harlech, Gorffennaf 17, 1934. Aberystwyth : Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru a phwyllgor yr Wyl Goffa, 1934. 26p
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 4964 acres; Population 346 males, 403 females, total 749
HARLECH, St. Tanwg 1838-1842 - on the Church plans online site
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
Photographs of Harlech
Castle Wales site - Harlech Castle
Harlech - on Wikipedia
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
The manganese mines of Merionethshire
Data Wales site - Men of Harlech, background to the tune
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date