|Merionethshire||Towns & Parishes||Contents|
"LLANDDWYWE, a parish in the hundred of Ardudwy, county Merioneth, 5 miles N.W. of Barmouth, its post town, 9 from Dolgelly, and 6 from Harlech. It is situated on the coast of Cardigan Bay, and includes the hamlets of Is-craig and Uwch-craig. In this parish is the wild and rough pass of Ardudwy. It is watered by the small river Ysgethin, which communicates with the lake of Llyn Irddin, on the W. slopes of Llawlech. The village is a small place with several modern houses. Near Llyn Irddin are traces of two ancient encampments. The living is a curacy annexed to the rectory* of Llanenddwyn, in the diocese of Bangor. The church, dedicated to St. Dwywan, is an old structure, and has adjoining it a mortuary chapel containing monuments of the Vaughan and Mostyn families." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
1841 census of Llanddwywe - A transcription by Alwyn Humphreys
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Llanddwywe Parish, consisting of the Townships of Is-Graig and Uwch-Graig; statistics; Area 9348 acres; Population 202 males, 186 females, total 388
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Ganllwyd, Llanddwywe section (in Welsh) has been extracted - with translation by Maureen Saycell (July 2011)
Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Gwynedd Family History Society have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Publications) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date