GENUKI Home page

Llandrillo Llandrillo     Contents Contents

Llandrillo


National Gazetteer (1868)

"LLANDRILLO, a parish in the hundred of Edernion, county Merioneth, 5 miles S.W. of Corwen, its post town, and 7 N.E. of Bala. It is situated in a vale at the foot of the Berwyn mountains, near the pass known as Milltir Gerrig, and is watered by the river Dee. The parish includes several townships, of which Cilan and Dinam are the principal, and the glen of the Afon Dinam. Slate quarries are worked. The tithes were commuted in 1840. The rectorial tithes are vested in the ecclesiastical commissioners. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St. Asaph, value 302, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. Trillo. The charities amount to about 3 per annum. Here is a cromlech and other Druidical remains. Fairs are held on 25th February, 3rd May, 29th June, 28th August, and 14th November."

"CILAN, a township in the parish of Llandrillo, in the county of Merioneth, 5 miles S.W. of Corwen."

"DINAM, a township in the parish of Llandrillo, in the county of Merioneth, 4 miles S.W. of Corwen."

"FAERDREF, a township in the parish of Llandrillo, county Merioneth, 5 miles S.W. of Corwen."

"GARTHIAEN, a township in the parish of Llandrillo, county Merioneth, North Wales, 5 miles S.W. of Corwen."

"PENANT, a township in the parish of Llandrillo, county Merioneth, 5 miles S.W. of Corwen."

"SYRIOR, a township in the parish of Llandrillo, county Merioneth, 5 miles S.W. of Corwen."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANDRILLO (LLAN-DRILLO), a parish in the hundred of EDEYRNION, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (S. W. by S.) from Corwen, containing 806 inhabitants. This parish, which derives its name from the dedication of its church, is beautifully situated on the banks of the river Dee, and near the rivulet Ceidio, which, after heavy rains, becomes a torrent. It extends more than four miles in length, and three and a half in breadth, through the rich and fertile vale of Edeyrnion, and is bounded on the south by the noble range of the Berwyn mountains, of which the highest point, called Cader Berwyn, is within the parish. About three-fourths of the lands are enclosed, and a great part is in a good state of cultivation. Peat is procured in great quantities for fuel; and on the Berwyn mountain there is a quarry of excellent slate. The village is pleasantly situated on the turnpike road from Corwen to Bala and Dinasmowddwy, and at the entrance of an extensive glen in the vale, terminated by the lofty range of mountains which forms the southern boundary of the parish. The surrounding scenery is finely diversified with features of sublimity and rich luxuriance, and the distant views are grand and extensive. From Cader Verwyn are seen the beautiful vales of Edeyrnion and Penllyn, in all their variety of scenery ; and, in the distance, the principal mountains in North Wales, and in the counties of Chester, Salop, Denbigh, Worcester, Stafford, and Lancaster. Fairs are held annually on February 25th, May 3rd, June 29th, August 28th, and November 14th. The living consists of a rectory and a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph : the rectory, which is a sinecure annexed to the see of St. Asaph, is rated in the king's books at 15. 16. 3. ; and the vicarage, which is discharged, at 7. 17. 1. : the latter is in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Trillo, is a small ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture, with a square embattled tower at the western end. There are places of worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists, to all of which Sunday schools are attached ; and it is in contemplation to establish a parochial school on the National system, for the gratuitous education of the poor children of the parish. Hugh Jones, in 1738, bequeathed 75, the interest of which is distributed among the poor according to the will of the testator. Bwlch y Maen Gwynedd, a pass in the Berwyn range, is memorable as the place where Roderic the Great appointed a meeting of the Princes of Gwynedd and Powys, in order to adjust any differences and settle any disputes which might arise between those chieftains ; and on the same range, and within the limits of the parish, is a large flat stone, probably the table stone of a cromlech, called Bwrdd Arthur, or " Arthur's Table." In a field called Cae 'r Bont is a circular entrenchment, surrounded with a fosse and defended by ramparts of considerable strength ; and on the summit of a hill immediately above it is a circle of stones, twelve yards in diameter, within which was formerly a circular cell, six feet in diameter : at the distance of one hundred yards are the remains of a large carnedd, eighteen yards in diameter, and about twenty yards from these the remains of two smaller carneddau. On a hill, a little above the village, are vestiges of another intrenchment, and on the hills in various parts of the parish are other remains of British antiquity. Fynnon Maen Milgi, "the spring of the greyhound stone," a remarkably fine stream, issues from the Berwyn mountains ; and near the village is a spring, called Fynnon Trillo, to the waters of which miraculous efficacy in the cure of various diseases was anciently attributed, and which are still thought to be highly beneficial in several cases. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 450. 1.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated:9 Aug 2005  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.