We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLANEGRYN, a parish in the hundred of Talybont, county Merioneth, 7 miles N. W. of Aberdovey, and 10 S.W. of Dolgelly. It is situated in the valley of the Dysynni, near the coast of the Irish Sea. The parish is bounded on the W. by Cardigan Bay, and on the E. by the river Dysynni. It contains the townships of Peniarth and Rhydyrhiw. The neighbourhood abounds with hills, and from several points are obtained good views of Cadr Idris. Slate is obtained here. This was an old seat of the Wynne family. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Bangor, value £82. The church is dedicated to St. Egryn. It contains a rood-loft, said to have been brought from Cymmer Abbey, a curious Norman font, and several monuments to the Owen family. There is an endowed school (Owen's) with an annual income of £105." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]


Davies, William. Hanes Plwyf Llanegryn = A history of the Parish of Llanegryn. Peniarth : Elusen Griffith Owen, 2002. 485p. Originally published solely in Welsh in 1948 by William Davies.

Llanegryn Church.[Llanegryn] : [Llanegryn Church?], [1999?] 8p

Parry, Edgar W. Eglwysi Gwynedd. 4; Eglwys St. Egryn, Llanegryn, Meirionnydd. Gwreiddiau Gwynedd / Gwynedd Roots. 38 (2000), p. 7-8

Passmore, Sue. The Lloyds of Gwyddfryniau, Llanegryn, Meirionnydd in the 17th century. Part 1. Gwreiddiau Gwynedd / Gwynedd Roots. 32 (1997), p. 5-10
Part 2; Gwreiddiau Gwynedd / Gwynedd Roots. 34 (1998), p. 8-10

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of Llanegryn Parish Church

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 6819 acres; Population 352 males, 353 females, total 705

  • Llanegryn Parish Church            Attendance - morning 15         Services in Welsh    Th Jones, Perpetual Curate
  • Nazareth, Wesleyan Methodists            Erected 1807           Attendance - morning school, afternoon 115, evening 96               Daniel Jones, Wesleyan Minister, Towyn
  • Capel Coch, Calvinistic Methodist           Erected 1811, enlarged 1848           Attendance - afternoon 55 + 60 scholars, evening 51 + 57 scholars              John Lloyd, Steward
  • Ebenezer, Llanegryn Village, Independent Dissenters             Erected 1816, enlarged 1829, re-erected 1839            Attendance - morning 99 scholars, afternoon 173, evening 126          Evan Rowlands, Deacon, Peniarth, Towyn

People's Collection Wales - Rood screen at Llanegryn Church

Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Llanegryn  section (in Welsh) has been extracted  

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llanegryn which are provided by:



Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales  for the following;

  • Owen Parry Papers 1696-1957   "Owen Parry was an antiquary from Llanegryn, Meirionethshire......."

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llanegryn has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales  for the following;

  • Ffederasiwn Clybiau Amaethwyr Ieuainc Meirion, cofnodion (records) 1943-1973  "Ffederasiwn Clybiau Amaethwyr Ieuainc Meirion (the Merioneth Federation of Young Farmers' Clubs) was one of the 12 county federations in Wales." "Includes ; ..... an essay on the history of Llanegryn, Merionethshire, 1947"

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales  for the following;

  • Burdon Deeds 1719-1855   "Richard and Elizabeth Owen owned the Peniarth estate, Llanegryn, Merionethshire, in the early 18th century. "
  • Wynne, William, of Peniarth, estate sale particulars 1814-1827  "In the early 19th century the Peniarth estate, Llanegryn, was owned by William Wynne (1774-1834). ..... "


Gwynedd Family History Society  havea diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Parishes)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches


You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH600053 (Lat/Lon: 52.627329, -4.069895), Llanegryn which are provided by: