We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
"LLANENDDWYN, a parish in the hundred of Ardudwy, county Merioneth, 1 mile from Harlech, 9 miles N.W. of Dolgelly, and 5 from Barmouth, its post town. It is situated on the coast of Cardigan Bay. Flannel is manufactured here, and manganese is obtained. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value with the curacy of Llanddwywe annexed, £350, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is an ancient structure dedicated to St. Enddwyn. There is a chapel belonging to the Calvinistic Methodists. The charities amount to nearly £20 per annum. Jones, one of the judges who sat on the trial of Charles I., was buried here." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]
Hartley, E M. Jonett Jones (c.1634-87) of Pentre-Mawr, Llanenddwyn, and her several families. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 11 (1991), p. 169-81
See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Enddwyn Church
Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP, 1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.
Parish statistics; Area 7777 acres; Population 457 males, 524 females, total 981
- Church of England This return is missing
- Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Dyffryn, Llaneuddwyn Erected 1807 Attendance - afternoon 85 + 35 scholars David Evans, Minister
- Rehoboth, Llaneuddwyn, Independents Erected 1828 Attendance - morning 81, afternoon 41 scholars, evening 45 James Jones, Minister
- Horeb, Llanenddwyn, Calvinistic Methodist Erected 1820 in lieu of one erected in 1795 Attendance - morning 257, afternoon 282 scholars, evening 392 Richard Humphreys, Minister
- nancol, Llanenddwyn, Calvinistic Methodists Erected 1839 Attendance - morning 37 scholars, afternoon 65 Griffith Williams, Elder, Glanrhaiadr
Rees, Thomas & John Thomas Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). The Dyffryn Ardudwy section (in Welsh) has been extracted
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Llanenddwyn which are provided by:
LLANENDDWYN (LLAN-ENDDWYN), a parish in the hundred of ARDUDWY, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 5 miles (N. N. W.) from Barmouth, on the road to Harlech, containing 798 inhabitants. The village is pleasantly situated, and the inhabitants are partly engaged in the manufacture of webs, partly in the working of mines of manganese, which metal is found in the parish, and the rest in agriculture. An act of parliament was obtained, in 1810, for the enclosure of the waste lands, under the provisions of which two thousand three hundred and seven acres were allotted; and a considerable portion of this tract has been brought into a good state of cultivation. The living is a rectory, with the perpetual curacy of Llanddwywau annexed, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 10. 18. 1 1/2., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Enddwyn, is an ancient structure. There are places of Worship for Independents and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists. The poor children of this parish are gratuitously instructed in the parochial school of Llanddwywau. Near the high road is a great stone, called Coeten Arthur, or " Arthur's Quoit." The waters of a spring called St. Enddwyn's well, are, thought to be efficacious in the cure of rheumatic affections. The distinguished Archdeacon Prys was for some years rector of this parish ; and Colonel Jones, one of the judges who passed sentence of death on Charles I., was buried in the churchyard. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 178. 18. ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)
You can see the administrative areas
in which Llanenddwyn has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Gwynedd Family History Society havea diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Parishes) - with some links to photographs of parish churches
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SH582234 (Lat/Lon: 52.789468, -4.104282), Llanenddwyn which are provided by: