GENUKI Home page

Llanfihangel Glyn y Myfyr Llanfihangel Glyn y Myfyr     Contents Contents

Llanfihangel Glyn y Myfyr


National Gazetteer (1868)

"LLANFIHANGEL-GLYN-Y-MYFYR, a parish, partly in the hundred of Isaled, county Denbigh, and partly in that of Edernion, county Merioneth, 6 miles N.W. of Corwen, its post town, 2 from Cerrig, and 12 S. of Denbigh. It is situated on the river Allwen, and includes the townships of Cefnnpost, Gysulog, Llysan, and Maesyr-Odyn. The country is hilly and mostly devoted to pasture. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value £215, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The Calvinistic Methodists have a chapel. There are small charities of about £1 per annum. Jones, the archaeologist, takes the title of his work, "Myvyrian Archæology," from this place. A fair is held on the 16th February."

"CEFNPOST, a township in the parish of Llanfihangel-Glyn-y-Myfyr, hundred of Edernion, in the county of Merioneth, North Wales, 6 miles N.W. of Corwen."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANVIHANGEL-GLYN-Y-MYVYR (LLAN-VIHANGEL - GLYN - MYVYR), a parish partly in the hundred of EDEYRNION, county of MERIONETH, and partly in the hundred of ISALED, county of DENBIGH, NORTH WALES, 10 miles (N. W. by W.) from Corwen, containing 452 inhabitants. The general aspect of this parish, which comprises about two thousand four hundred computed acres, is extremely rugged and hilly, the greater part being old enclosures, and the rest unenclosed mountain land. The King is lord of the manor of the Denbighshire part, in right of his lordship of Denbigh, and John Wynne, Esq., of Garthmeilio, claims a small manor in the Merionethshire division. The village, consisting of only four houses, is situated on the small river Alwen, a rapid stream issuing from Llyn Alwen, in the mountains, about five miles to the north-west of the village, and forming, for the greater part of its course here, the north-eastern boundary of the parish : this stream, which abounds with excellent trout, is subject to frequent floods ; in 1781 it overflowed its banks, and rose within the church, which is not more than seven or eight yards from its margin, to the height of eight or nine feet, the remembrance of which event is preserved by a mark painted on the wall. The village, through which the road from Ruthin to Pentre Voelas passes, and the church, with about one-sixth part of the parish, are in the county of Merioneth. The surface of the parish is mountainous ; and the soil in some parts is a loamy clay, mixed with stone and gravel, and in others chiefly bog and peat. There are some fine meadows on the banks of the Alwen, affording excellent pasturage to divers herds of the black cattle peculiar to this part of the principality, which are kept chiefly for the dairy ; and the mountain lands, which are. covered with fine heath, are depastured by numerous flocks of sheep of the small Welsh breed : with the exception of a very few acres of wheat and barley, oats are the only species of grain sown. A fair is held on February 16th. The living is a discharged rectory, subject to the payment of tithes, locally in the archdeaconry, and in the diocese, of St. Asaph, rated in the king's books at £6. 12., and in the patronage of the Bishop. The church, dedicated to St. Michael, is an ancient structure, in the early style of English architecture. There are places, of worship for Calvinistic Methodists. On the bank of the Alwen, in the upper part of the parish, are the remains of a very ancient circular fortification, called Caer-ddynod, or the " conspicuous or distinguished fort," occupying a considerable eminence; and nearly opposite to Cerrig y Druidion, which is within three miles of the parish, are the ruins of another, called Pen y Gaer. Owen Jones, author of the "Myvyrian Archaeology of Wales," was born at Tyddyn Tydyr, in Glyn Myvyr, in this parish ; and in compliment to the place of his nativity the epithet Myvyrian was prefixed to the title of that voluminous work, from Glyn y Myvyr, which in the Welsh language signifies "the valley of meditation." This elaborate compilation, though only embracing the period from 1300 to the close of Queen Elizabeth's reign, extends to upwards of sixty quarto volumes of considerable bulk. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 175. 18.

 

(Copied using Cd published by Archive CD Books


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 8 Oct 2005  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.