"LLANFROTHEN, a parish in the hundred of Ardudwy, county Merioneth, 3 miles N.W. of Maentwrog, and 8 N.E. of Harlech. Port Madoc is its post town. It is situated N. of the river Traeth Mawr, near the point where much land has been reclaimed from the sea. The village is considerable, and many of the inhabitants are engaged in the lead mines. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value £115, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Brothen. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and a school. The charities are worth about £2 per annum. In the neighbourhood of Ynys Gwyddel some Roman remains have been found." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson ©2003]



Ioan Brothen. Hanes plwyf Llanfrothen : traddodiadau. Llafar Gwlad. No. 71 (2001), p. 8-9

Jones, John. Cofiant y diweddar Barch. Richard Jones, gynt o Wern Llanfrothen, swydd Feirionydd, yr hwn oedd yn weinidog yr efengyl ynghyfundeb y Trefnyddion Calfinaidd; bu farw Chwefror 26, 1833, yn 60 oed. Caerlleon [Chester] : Argraffwyd gan John Parry, 1834. 72p

Jones, J Gwynfor. Sir John Wynn, Junior, of Gwydir and Llanfrothen and the 'grand tour', 1613-14. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 11 (1993), p. 379-413

Llywelyn, Robin. Llanfrothen : milltir sgwâr. Y Drenewydd : Gwasg Gregynog, c1996. 16p

Roberts, Hugh Bever. License to search for slate in the farm of Croesor Fawr in the parish of Llanfrothen in the County of Merioneth. 1861 ?  24p

Thomas, Arwyn. Hanes plwyf Llanfrothen. Llafar Gwlad. No. 70 (2000), p. 11-14


Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llanfrothen Shop Account Book   "Shop account book dating from 1841 to 1843, listing names and addresses of customers and goods sold at the shop e.g. tea, tobacco, candles etc"

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 7482 acres; Population 410 males, 392 females, total 802

  • Returns missing for this parish

    Places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists    (Lewis 1849)

    The Friends of Friendless Churches site - St Brothen Church, Llanfrothen

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Scotch Baptists, Ramoth Manuscripts 1805 - 1857   "Manuscripts relating to the effects of the split amongst the Baptists of Llanfrothen................"

     The gate of Llanfrothen churchyard  - on the People's Collection Wales  site


    Church Records

    Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Scotch Baptists Ramoth Registers 1786-1854   "Include; ..... Birth register of the Scotch Baptist Church at Ramoth [Llanfrothen] and elsewhere in Merioneth, 1786-1837, mostly in the script of J. R. Jones. It contains detailed information regarding the family of the persons registered; Register of Deaths, 1791-1793, 1853-1854......"

    Description and Travel

    Variouslandscapes - People's Collection Wales site 

    You can see pictures of Llanfrothen which are provided by:



    LLANVROTHEN (LLAN-VROTHEN), a parish in the hundred of ARDUDWY, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Tan y Bwlch, containing 657 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Brothen, an eminent British saint, who flourished about the end of the sixth century. It is situated between the two aestuaries of the Traeth Mawr and Traeth Bach, the former of which is now embanked and under cultivation, in a district abounding with mineral wealth, and comprises a tract of about six thousand acres, the surface of which is boldly undulated, rising in some parts into mountainous elevations. The surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, combining features of romantic character and picturesque beauty. Various small streams here fall into the Glaslyn, or, as it is commonly called, the Traeth Mawr river; and there is one small lake called Cwmvoel. In this parish is included the greater part of the extensive tract gained, about twenty years ago, by an embankment made by the late Mr. Madocks, at the mouth of the Traeth Mawr : the soil of this marsh is a peaty clay, while that of the higher grounds is a dark reddish loam, producing good pasturage for live stock. Peat, which constitutes the principal fuel of the inhabitants, is found in abundance in various places. Lead-ore is procured at Bwlch Plwm ; but the mines are not regularly worked. The village stands about a quarter of a mile from the turnpike road leading from Tan y Bwlch to Bethgelart. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at £ 6. 15., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church is an ancient structure, appropriately fitted up for divine service. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. Evan Thomas, in 1732, bequeathed £ 20 ; William Lewis Anwyl left £ 10, and John Carreg £20 ; Gwen Prichard, in 1715, bequeathed a small portion of land ; and Mrs. Lloyd, in 1784, a rent-charge of ten shillings, all for the benefit of the poor of this parish; besides which there is also a bequest of £ 1. 15. per annum, by an unknown benefactor, to be appropriated to the instruction of poor children. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £255. 12.   (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

    Ask for a calculation of the distance from Llanfrothen to another place.

    Click here for a list of nearby places.



    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • The Anwyl Papers 1633-1950   "The Anwyl family have resided at Llugwy in the parish of Pennal, Merionethshire, from the time when Maurice Anwyl married Joan, heiress of the estate (post nuptial settlements dated 19 April, 1682). The family were previously resident at Park in the parish of Llanfrothen, Merionethshire."
    • Papurau ]papers] Bob Owen, Croesor 1917-1962   "Robert Owen (Bob Owen, Croesor, 1885-1962) was a historian, genealogist and book collector. He was born in Llanfrothen, Merionethshire. From the age of 16 he was employed by Parc and Croesor Slate Quarry as a clerk and stayed there until its closure in 1931........."
    • Ynysfor collection of Pughe and Jones family papers 1620-1875   "Papers, 1620-1875, mainly relating to the Pughe family of Bodilan and Llanfrothen and the Jones family of Ynysfor [Llanfrothen] ..........."
    • Evan Williams (Llanfrothen) Papers 1865-1909  "Evan Williams was a grocer and coal merchant, in Llanfrothen, Merionethshire, involved in running the Rhyd Sunday School. He was also a local historian, writing articles and addresses on the history of Nonconformism in the area"

    Historical Geography

    You can see the administrative areas in which Llanfrothen has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.



    The Llanfrothen Burial Case - on Peoples Collection Wales


    Land and Property

    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Deeds and papers relating to Closure of Morfa Gwyllt, Llanfrothen [?1822]-1965    "Morfa Gwyllt, Llanfrothen, Merionethshire, was an area of coastal marshland pasture until after the construction of the Porthmadog Cob in 1811, when it was enclosed and drained by Maddocks........"

    Drawing showing aspects of Cae Glas, Llanfrothen, by Falcon Hildred, 2009. Cae Glas is an early storeyed house of classic Snowdonian plan-type with a voussoir-headed cross-passage doorway and a projecting end chimney. The cross-passage was fully screened with post-and-panel partitions between the outer rooms and the hall. The first floor was open to the roof with two trusses of collar-beam type and two tiers of cusped windbraces. The principal chamber has a corbelled-out fireplace. Tree-ring dating commissioned by Cymdeithas Hanes Beddgelert in association with RCAHMW found that the following felling dates: Principal rafters: 1547; Mantel-beam 1547; Collar beam:1546; Screen heads: 1545 For more on Cae Glas and it's occupants   - on the People's Collection Wales  site



    Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

    • Account Book of Robert Williams, Brondanw  1710-1725    "Account book of Robert Williams, Brondanw [in the parish of Llanfrothen]which gives a very vivid picture of a gentleman farmers' credits and debits in the early 18th century. Includes some interesting details such as how many days the oxen were ploughing out, particulars of hiring and of fairs and cattle prices."
    • Farm Account of Morgan Thomas  "Farm account book, 1853-1859 compiled by Morgan Thomas relating to his farm at Wern in Llanfrothen"