GENUKI Home page NeighboursNearby places
Merionethshire Merionethshire    Parish Index Towns & Parishes    Contents Contents

LLANFROTHEN

"LLANFROTHEN, a parish in the hundred of Ardudwy, county Merioneth, 3 miles N.W. of Maentwrog, and 8 N.E. of Harlech. Port Madoc is its post town. It is situated N. of the river Traeth Mawr, near the point where much land has been reclaimed from the sea. The village is considerable, and many of the inhabitants are engaged in the lead mines. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Bangor, value 115, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is dedicated to St. Brothen. There is a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, and a school. The charities are worth about 2 per annum. In the neighbourhood of Ynys Gwyddel some Roman remains have been found." [From The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868) - Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

Bibliography

Ioan Brothen. Hanes plwyf Llanfrothen : traddodiadau. Llafar Gwlad. No. 71 (2001), p. 8-9

Jones, John. Cofiant y diweddar Barch. Richard Jones, gynt o Wern Llanfrothen, swydd Feirionydd, yr hwn oedd yn weinidog yr efengyl ynghyfundeb y Trefnyddion Calfinaidd; bu farw Chwefror 26, 1833, yn 60 oed. Caerlleon [Chester] : Argraffwyd gan John Parry, 1834. 72p

Jones, J Gwynfor. Sir John Wynn, Junior, of Gwydir and Llanfrothen and the 'grand tour', 1613-14. Journal of the Merioneth Historical and Record Society 11 (1993), p. 379-413

Llywelyn, Robin. Llanfrothen : milltir sgwr. Y Drenewydd : Gwasg Gregynog, c1996. 16p

Roberts, Hugh Bever. License to search for slate in the farm of Croesor Fawr in the parish of Llanfrothen in the County of Merioneth. 1861 ?  24p

Thomas, Arwyn. Hanes plwyf Llanfrothen. Llafar Gwlad. No. 70 (2000), p. 11-14

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Church History

Church and chapel data from The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 11, North Wales. Ed. by Ieuan Gwynedd Jones, UWP,   1981. The names given towards the end of each entry are those of the informants.

Parish statistics; Area 7482 acres; Population 410 males, 392 females, total 802

The Friends of Friendless Churches site - St Brothen Church, Llanfrothen

LLANFROTHEN, St. Brothen 1840-1844  - on the Church plans online site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Church Records

Joyce Hinde has supplied a list of Parish Registers held at Merioneth Record Office.

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Description and Travel

People's Collection Wales site - aerial photograph of Croesor Tramway, Llanfrothen 1994

Gazetteers

LLANVROTHEN (LLAN-VROTHEN), a parish in the hundred of ARDUDWY, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 3 miles (W. N. W.) from Tan y Bwlch, containing 657 inhabitants. This parish derives its name from the dedication of its church to St. Brothen, an eminent British saint, who flourished about the end of the sixth century. It is situated between the two aestuaries of the Traeth Mawr and Traeth Bach, the former of which is now embanked and under cultivation, in a district abounding with mineral wealth, and comprises a tract of about six thousand acres, the surface of which is boldly undulated, rising in some parts into mountainous elevations. The surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, combining features of romantic character and picturesque beauty. Various small streams here fall into the Glaslyn, or, as it is commonly called, the Traeth Mawr river; and there is one small lake called Cwmvoel. In this parish is included the greater part of the extensive tract gained, about twenty years ago, by an embankment made by the late Mr. Madocks, at the mouth of the Traeth Mawr : the soil of this marsh is a peaty clay, while that of the higher grounds is a dark reddish loam, producing good pasturage for live stock. Peat, which constitutes the principal fuel of the inhabitants, is found in abundance in various places. Lead-ore is procured at Bwlch Plwm ; but the mines are not regularly worked. The village stands about a quarter of a mile from the turnpike road leading from Tan y Bwlch to Bethgelart. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry of Merioneth, and diocese of Bangor, rated in the king's books at 6. 15., endowed with 200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Bangor. The church is an ancient structure, appropriately fitted up for divine service. There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic Methodists. Evan Thomas, in 1732, bequeathed 20 ; William Lewis Anwyl left 10, and John Carreg 20 ; Gwen Prichard, in 1715, bequeathed a small portion of land ; and Mrs. Lloyd, in 1784, a rent-charge of ten shillings, all for the benefit of the poor of this parish; besides which there is also a bequest of 1. 15. per annum, by an unknown benefactor, to be appropriated to the instruction of poor children. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to 255. 12.   (A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis, 1833)

Genealogy

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

History

The Llanfrothen Burial Case - the David Lloyd George Exhibition pages at the NLW

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Gwynedd Family History Society  have a diagram of the ecclesiastical parishes of Merionethshire (under Publications)  - with some links to photographs of parish churches

Occupations

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional [Last updated: 7 Dec 2013 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI