GENUKI Home page

Llangar Llangar     Contents Contents

Llangar


National Gazetteer (1868)

"LLANGAR, a parish in the hundred of Edernion, county Merioneth, 1 mile S.W. of Corwen, its post town, and 10 miles N.E. of Bala. It is situated at the confluence of the rivers Alwen and Dee, and includes the hamlets of Bryn, Cymmer, and Gwynodl. A large portion of the parish is barren. The village, which is small, stands on the road from Corwen, by the Vale of Edeyrnion. The Dee is crossed by a bridge about a mile distant at Cynwydd. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of St. Asaph, value 160, in the patronage of the bishop. The church is a small structure. This parish enjoys a share of the charities with Corwen. There are traces of an entrenchment."

"BRYN, a township in the parish of Llangar, hundred of Edernion, in the county of Merioneth, North Wales, 1 mile from Corwen. It is on the S. side of the river Dee."

"CYMMER, a township in the parish of Llangar, in the county of Merioneth, near Corwen."

"GWYNODL, a township in the parish of Llangar, county Merioneth, 1 mile S.W. "of Corwen."

[Description(s) from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland (1868)
Transcribed by Colin Hinson 2003]

A Topographical Dictionary of Wales
Samuel Lewis, 1833

LLANGAR, or LLANGAER (LLAN-GAR), a parish in the hundred of EDEYRNION, county of MERIONETH, NORTH WALES, 1 mile (S. W.) from Corwen, containing 229 inhabitants. The name of this place, signifying "the church of the camp," is most probably derived from an ancient fortification which formerly occupied the summit of a hill called Caer Wern, in the immediate vicinity of the church, and of which there are still some vestiges, though nothing is known of its origin or history. The parish is pleasantly situated near the confluence of the rivers Dee and Alwen, and on the turn-pike road from Corwen to Bala : it comprises about thirteen hundred acres of enclosed arablc and pasture land, and an extensive tract of common and waste land, producing abundance of peat, which is the principal fuel of the inhabitants. The surrounding scenery is agreeably diversified with lofty hills and pleasing vales. The living is a discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of St. Asaph, ratcd in the king's books at 5. 7. 11., and in the patronage of the Bishop of St. Asaph. The church, dedicated to All Saints, is a neat ancicnt edifice, in the early style of English architecture. A Sunday school, for the gratuitous instruction of poor children, is held in the church : the children of this parish are also eligible for gratuitous instruction in the school at the village of Cynwyd, in the parish of Gwyddelwern, under the will of Hugh Roberts, who bequeathed a sum of money for the support of that school, in 1807. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is 153. 11.

(Copied using  the Cd published by Archive CD Books)


Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional These pages are intended for personal use only, so please respect the conditions of use.
[Last updated: 30 Aug 2005  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.